Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 6:48:08 AM EDT
I'm looking for a program for my firearm collection.
I like EFirearms but I can't see paying $39.95 for a program I will not use that much (looking for more of an inventory type program)

Anyone have a copy of Efirearms they want to sell?
Or any software they recommend?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just use a program like Excel.  Use a different tab for each firearm where you could place a photo, description and value.  You could have a master tab for grabbing the description and value from each individual tab and this page could show the total value of the collection.

I don't know crap about excel, how hard is it to set up a template and do this?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Excel
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 I use MS Excel.

(to catalog my collection of one .38 and one .22)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just use a program like Excel.  Use a different tab for each firearm where you could place a photo, description and value.  You could have a master tab for grabbing the description and value from each individual tab and this page could show the total value of the collection.

Dude excel is EASY
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Excel and update values quarterly for my estate. The photo insert is a great idea...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

consider this an opportunity to learn

excel (visicalc, 123, etc) is one of the most useful programs ever invented.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#8]
ATF website has a PDF for your firearms collection. I keep a copy in my safe
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Excel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on Excel.  Just start filling in the boxes where you want.  You don't have to use all the fancy formulas, just the grid format part of it is what is helpful.

Also, Quicken for the past few years has had a Home Inventory section that's quite good.

Using Windows 2003 Server with SharePoint may be a bit overkill....or so my wife tells me.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Tagged for future reference.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
GunTracker
Download the Demo
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
when I get home later today, or maybe tomorrow, I'll put up my Access database and stand alone exe that accesses it. Access is not needed to use the program. There is a system setting that needs to be set, but I'll have step by step instructions for that. The program also keeps track of ammo and number of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#16]
found my post in the archives

You do not need MS Access to use this(unless you delete all the records in a table)
You can rename the files to anything you want or move them to other folder and it won't matter. Although if you move or rename the mdb file you will need to go into the ODBC thing (explained later) and edit the data source to point to the new filename/location. The mdb and exe files can be in different folders.
After unzipping the files you will need to make an ODBC entry in Windows. Don't worry, I'll have detailed steps.

WinXP
start->settings->control panel
open administrator tools, then open data sources(ODBC)
under either the user or system dns tab click add.
in the list select Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) and click finish
the Data Source Name on the next screen has to be the word "guns" in lower case but without the quotes. this is due to that name being hard coded in the program. description can be anything
then click the select button in the database section. browse to the mdb file that was unzipped. click ok, then ok on the first odbc window.
now you can use the program

Win98
same except it is start->settings->control panel then the odbc icon, so there's no administrator tools step

winme and 2000 should be the same basic steps as well but I don't have either to check

if the mdb file is ever moved or renamed go back into the odbc screen and click the guns data source then click the configure button and use select to browse to the mdb file

when the program runs it has a dialog asking which table to open. this same screen can later be accessed from the file->new option or ctrl+n
to navigate a table have it be the active window inside the program and use the arrow buttons in the tool bar or the record option in the menu
the gunid field in the mags table should be the same as the gunid in the guns table of the gun the mag is for
similar for the ammoid in the guns table, it should match the ammoid of the ammo type.
this is more for the reports that can be run from inside Access if you directly open the mdb file with access, than for use with this program. I made the database before I did the program and haven't made report options for the program
the database can be used without the program if you have Access installed but the program won't run without the mdb file and the odbc steps being done

geocities.com/tatical15th/arfcom/ then click on database.zip
or copy and paste this line into the address bar, add a space and press enter
http://geocities.com/tatical15th/arfcom/database.zip
that pain in the ass way is due to geocities sucking balls when it comes to hotlinking to files on their servers from other servers
just in case it might work
geocities.com/tatical15th/arfcom/database.zip
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I just recently purchased "The Gun Collector" software fromt this site:
www.collectiblessoftware.com/

It was only $14.95.

I haven't had time to add in all of my guns but I have played around with it and it does work pretty good.

I was also able to easily create 2 collection lists (one for me and one for my GF).

Check it out
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
+1 I use MS Excel.

(to catalog my collection of one .38 and one .22)

I used to keep track until my unfortunate aquatic recreational mishap.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Access is a database.  That is what you should use.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
for everyone telling you to use Excel, it is an expensive program.
Luckily work bought my copies.
However, an alternative is OpenOffice, which is free (and more functionasl, although a little bit less intuitive).
openoffice.org
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#21]
If you don't have access to Excel,  do a Google search on OpenOffice, it's 100% free, and it's compatible with Excel and all the other Microsoft documents (Word, PowerPoint, etc...)

Using Excel is a bit of a learning curve, but I'd say after an hour you'd have enough basics to have handy spreadsheets with guns and ammo.

I use OpenOffice for my ammo and mag storage, and have it sorted by type horizontally, and location veritically.  And totals of each type at the bottom.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i've been using guntracker fr about 3 years. it also includes the blue book of gun values.

tracks everything including a cleaning schedule for large collections, allows for pics and gives various reports for investments and such.  seems like it was around 20.00 or so. i've been VERY happy with it.

Wow, this software actually sounds pretty useful, especially for people with large collections who might not necessarily remember what they do or don't have...hmm.

Too bad their main website is down... I'd buy a copy, but the fact that their website is toast kind of worries me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It was only $14.95.

I haven't had time to add in all of my guns but I have played around with it and it does work pretty good.

I was also able to easily create 2 collection lists (one for me and one for my GF).

Check it out

HELP, I just ordered that program and downloaded it. But when I try to open it, I get an error message:

"c:\windows\system\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft application. Choose cloes to terminate the application."
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was only $14.95.

Check it out

HELP, I just ordered that program and downloaded it. But when I try to open it, I get an error message:

"c:\windows\system\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft application. Choose cloes to terminate the application."

Usually when you see that spyware has corrupted a few system files.  Here is the fix.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Good idea
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
it's not down it was moved awhile back. kinda tricky to find it. let me see if i can find it again.

hehe it also has a section for where the gun is stored for those of us that keep forgetting

here it is....

https://www.bangzoom.com/myProducts.cfm?categoryID=1

you can find it cheaper than this if you look around.

mike

Yah, I found that site right after I posted, and took a look, and it's the real thing..

The demo version isn't exactily..uh, great though There was at least one glaring, obvious error in the AK part...but, that's assuming the maker of the rifles wasn't listed later on, and that section is just for unnamed/unmarked/smith-put-together stuff, instead of true factory rifles.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
any data they have their would be the same as what's listed in the BB. i have found a few questionable things, especially concerning guns by century or parts kits. but it's never going to be an exact science. a lot of the prices are region specific and may or may reflect properly for your area.

mike

Yah, that's what I figured...

I mean, when they outright label stuff like Norinco Type 56 ak's, pre-89 imports, as "inferior Chinese AK's" with a value, NIB, as $250...well, I gotta raise the BS flag

They're worth at least double that

Hm...how well does it do on older stuff, like WWI/WWII/Koran-era stuff?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was only $14.95.

Check it out

Usually when you see that spyware has corrupted a few system files.  Here is the fix.

Thanks, that worked!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]
64.53.89.142/files/Firearm_log.zip

This is a access DB I created a while ago. I has stuff for C&R in it also.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, that worked!

You're welcome.

Be sure to run adaware and spybot search and destroy on your system now.  They are both available for free at download.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top