Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 5:33:19 PM EDT
I saw there for sale but they are $250  GOOD LAWD

What do they do and why do I feel I need them? I dont really need them do I?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got some chef friends with some overpriced knives that they love.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
With a chefs knife you usually get what you pay for.  After using nice (not high end but nice) knifes, the cheap ones just suck to use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With a chefs knife you usually get what you pay for.  After using nice (not high end but nice) knifes, the cheap ones just suck to use.

I got me a $20 set of fancy looking china knives that slice well enough for my slicing
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got me a $20 set of fancy looking china knives that slice well enough for my slicing

You don't really think you deserve those fancy knives, do you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Taxman, do you hunt?

I do, and I don't bat an eye at paying $50 for a knife that I hope to use once a year.  I may use it 10-15 times and then lose it, to be immediately replaced with another $50 knife.

The notion of paying a couple hundred bucks for a quality, balanced knife that you will likely use more times in a month than I will use my hunting knife in its lifetime isn't hard to justify.

Just a matter of perspective.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This...I got some good German stuff....now I want some really good Jap stuff

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With a chefs knife you usually get what you pay for. After using nice (not high end but nice) knifes, the cheap ones just suck to use.

Hell, I got those $20 miracle blade knifes off the tv! They work great for most tasks, but my chefs knife is more pricey. It just handles better and is much faster.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Shun knives are nice.  I wound up with a couple as gifts, and got a couple more from a friend who ran a Williams and Sonoma store.  They're sharp as fuck, feel great in the hand, and look fantastic.

I wouldn't spend that much on 'em unless I was seriously rich though.

I especially wouldn't spend that much on 'em if I was you Tax, because the kind of cheapass nasty food you eat would make the poor knives cry.

Now if this was a component to a major life change where you decided that you were worthy of eating like a human being who does not live in the third world, I'd say go for it.  If not, fuck 'em.  Get some Ginsu's.

ETA- one thing about Shuns that I found odd was that the roundish handled ones are not round.  The handles are curved somewhat.  This makes them fit very nicely in the right hand, but my lefty wife has trouble with 'em.  They tend to roll in her hand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you used/tried them? I can't stand the Ken Onion Shun series, I much prefer the regular D shaped handle.

-JTP
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Taxman, do you hunt?

I do, and I don't bat an eye at paying $50 for a knife that I hope to use once a year.  I may use it 10-15 times and then lose it, to be immediately replaced with another $50 knife.

The notion of paying a couple hundred bucks for a quality, balanced knife that you will likely use more times in a month than I will use my hunting knife in its lifetime isn't hard to justify.

Just a matter of perspective.

No I dont, while I do get a thrill from killing things my situation does not allow hunting.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Global knives have worked the best for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
With a chefs knife you usually get what you pay for. After using nice (not high end but nice) knifes, the cheap ones just suck to use.

Hell, I got those $20 miracle blade knifes off the tv! They work great for most tasks, but my chefs knife is more pricey. It just handles better and is much faster.

Mine are standard blade ones not microserrated, they slice through meat well enough and me if Im not careful

I got them at TJ-Maxx
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got that exact chef's knife. I would like to get a few more. I'm no pro, but I like nice knives. I've got no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I am just starting my collection of Kershaw Kaji Shuns

they are fuggen sharp and very comfortable to hold.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Like anything else you get what you pay for.

Some people like Colts some people like hi-points.

The shuns are nice, i have 9 or 10 of them, except the dumbass wife like to drop them in the sink like its whatever and break the very end of the tips of all them off.

Try ebay, you can find them cheap there sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Global knives have worked the best for me.

Global FTMFW!

Going back to walmart knives feels like you're sawing food apart instead of cutting it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Those look like nice knives. I'm kind of a knife addict though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are standard blade ones not microserrated, they slice through meat well enough and me if Im not careful

I got them at TJ-Maxx

I've got a few nice German knives at TJ Maxx, including one Henckels bread knife that is very nice.

Good knives are often worth the money.  If you're paying for agate handles or something, that's a different story, but when it comes to quality blades there is no substitute.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Those are what we've got, classic series.  The handles are very comfortable and offer a surprisingly good grip.  

Tax, if you're gonna jump in on these I'd suggest starting with one.  The Santoku.  Not too big, not too small.  If I only had one knife in the whole kitchen, this is the one I'd want.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Shun knives. I also have Henckles and Wustof. The Shun knives take an edge easier and hold one longer than the German steel and the ergonomics of the handles are better for me. I've got fairly small hands, though. I have the Classic chef's knife set, which includes an 8" chef's knife, a 6" utility knife and a 3.5" paring knife. I think a 6" chef's knife would have been handier - the 8" is a little unwieldy. The 6" utility knife is great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Taxman, you do need those knives.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I got them at TJ-Maxx

I've got a few nice German knives at TJ Maxx, including one Henckels bread knife that is very nice.

Good knives are often worth the money.  If you're paying for agate handles or something, that's a different story, but when it comes to quality blades there is no substitute.

I found me a few decent ones digging through the Goodwill bin of knives, but I will not buy spoons for the Goodwill.

I normally spend as much time slashing and stabbing at air as cutting with them
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell, I cut myself LOOKING at Shun knives.

Gorgeous!!  I prefer the classics.....and when it comes to the kitchen....these are knives you use a LOT if you cook even half as much as I do....so you might as well spend the money.....

Just remember to care for them, learn to use a steel, learn to keep the edges up, keep quality wood cutting boards on hand.....make sure to hand clean and dry them....and for God's sakes....BE CAREFUL!!!  They are wicked sharp.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I saw there for sale but they are $250  GOOD LAWD

What do they do and why do I feel I need them? I dont really need them do I?

http://sale.images.woot.com/Shun_Three_Piece_Professional_Chef_s_Knife_Set_in_Bamboo_Presentation_BoxtqoStandard.jpg

That's the set I picked up for JT....He really like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top