Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:27:53 AM EST

What's the purpose of this? To post your daily activities and info about yourself for everybody to see so you can feel important, relevant, connected?

I can see why women may do this, but men?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:28:54 AM EST
Because.

Anything else?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:00 AM EST
I stay in touch with Marine Corps buddies

and check out how hot/ugly the chicks from HS got....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Scottyman:

What's the purpose of this? To post your daily activities and info about yourself for everybody to see so you can feel important, relevant, connected?

Men do it HERE!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:03 AM EST
I reconnected with some great people I have met over the years and haven't seen in a long time. Why are you worried about what other people do?

Jim
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:23 AM EST
I'm going to eat pumpkin pie today!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:44 AM EST
I DON'T SEE THE NEED

SO HOW CAN ANYONE ELSE
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:31:31 AM EST

Nobody values their privacy?

I see how GD can be to a lesser extent like FB.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:31:38 AM EST
I haven't the slightest idea. I have never joined. If I haven't talked to you in 20 years I don't want to start now. And if I have I already know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:31:39 AM EST
It's just like arfcom.

But with less drama.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:36:28 AM EST
It's dumb and isn't allowed in my house.

If I want someone to know the details of my life, or if I feel like talking to someone, I'll call them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:36:56 AM EST

You're online...you have no privacy.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:39:14 AM EST
Facebook is a tool. If you're a single male and not using Facebook you are getting laid less than you could be.

Also really good for keeping in touch with military buddies, as has been said.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:39:48 AM EST
It's like arfcom, but with a narrower, fully customizable audience of people you actually know.

I realize for some here that the concept of having actual friends you want to keep up with is a bit tough to understand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:40:54 AM EST
pintrest too......... i fuckin love pintrest
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:42:57 AM EST

You realize that you don't HAVE to post all the small meaningless details of your life, right?
I use it to keep in contact with people I served with and friends and relatives that I seldom get a chance to see.
I think a better question would be why you care what other people do.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:44:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:
I haven't the slightest idea. I have never joined. If I haven't talked to you in 20 years I don't want to start now. And if I have I already know what you are doing.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't go in too much for those people who contact you because you used to go to school together 20 years ago. So what? That was not either of our choices, we were just there at the same time. If you didn't talk to me then why would I want to talk to you now? My friends know how to reach me and do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:46:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 4:48:00 AM EST by dskeet]

Your privacy is only compromised on Facebook if you put all your personal crap on it. Just like it's compromised if you post all your personal shit on GD. Funny how that works.

It's really just another way to keep in touch with people. If you'd rather just email/text/call people.. then have at it. You're doing the same thing just over a different medium.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gacksnabbit:
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't go in too much for those people who contact you because you used to go to school together 20 years ago. So what? That was not either of our choices, we were just there at the same time. If you didn't talk to me then why would I want to talk to you now? My friends know how to reach me and do.

So don't except friend requests from people you don't want to. Is that so hard?

My friends know how to reach me... and facebook is by far the easiest way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:34 AM EST
It's inexpensive marketing and it helps keep me linked to my customers.

Side benefit is easy communication with family and friends. Facebook is as mature as you make it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By NUCdt04:
I stay in touch with Marine Corps buddies

Same Same
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:49:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jeffreysox:
Because.

Anything else?

This.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:50:22 AM EST
I started getting in touch with Military Buddies through Together We Served. They wanted to see pictures of the family. I can
control who has access and who doesn't. I also get to keep in touch with people I went to school with and lost touch with when I
moved.

The newest thing is being in contact with people I read (blogs) or listen to (Armed American Radio) and be able to post my comments on their
blogs and shows. I also get response. These blogs put you in contact with trainers and suppliers that you wouldn't normally come into contact
with.

But I guess it's stupid to you so it must be stupid to everyone. Narrow Way of Looking at the World.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:52:36 AM EST
I check mine about once a month.

It has a different purpose for different people...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:53:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:15:57 PM EST by GeorgeInNePa]

The part that many ignore when bitching about FB.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:53:37 AM EST
I use it to keep in touch with friends I don't see anymore. It doesn't affect your privacy unless you let it, just like anything else on the internet. You don't have to post anything you don't want to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:53:48 AM EST
I keep in touch with old friends from high school, old jobs, stuff like that. And I also get a kick out all the people who used to joke me about being fat are fatter than me now, girls that wouldnt have anything to do with me have 2-3 kids and no hope of ever meeting a decent guy or even getting a good job. Its like the ultimate gloating machine!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:55:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By RedDane:
It's inexpensive marketing and it helps keep me linked to my customers.

Side benefit is easy communication with family and friends. Facebook is as mature as you make it.

This
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:56:38 AM EST
As a woman who posts rarely if ever on Facebook- you got me on this question...but I don't own a cellphone either...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:57:03 AM EST
Just like anything else Facebook is only as stupid as the person using it. My sister uses it as an open diary letting the world know her personal business.

I on the other hand us it to keep up with Army buddies and other friends who I don't get to see often.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:59:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 5:01:59 AM EST by TCBA_Joe]
Originally Posted By NUCdt04:
I stay in touch with Marine Corps Army/college/HS/etc... buddies and family[div]

This

It's an easy way to keep track of your friends and build friendships even when you are not able to see them on a regular basis.

I have been blessed to meet a lot of people in life, and I consider myself better for my interactions with other people. Unfortunately I can't always keep in touch with friends who live all over the country.

FB is what you make of it. If you want to use it for nothing but a way to avoid having to keep track of emails, ok. If you want to use it to braodcast your life, whatever.

Don't be stupid, and it's a useful tool. I get national news, industry news, wish friends happy birthday, get pictures of myself, keep in touch with people who I'd normally have time to keep in touch with, build friendships based on interests I didn't know we had in common. In fact, the other day I was talking to a chick I went to college with about her and her husbands gun-industry involvement and we were able to swap some useful insider info.

The way our culture is communicating is changing. It's not better or worse, it's just different. Culture had the same growing pains when the telephone was invented.

Scrub the dirtbags, act mature, and be professional. You can also ignore people pretty easily.

Originally Posted By VACaver:
[div class='quoteStyle']Originally Posted By Scottyman:

You're online...you have no privacy.

No kidding. It's funny how people who will post pictures of their girlfriends in their underwear, sex stories, family problems, financial questions, etc... as well as getting into purse swinging matches with strangers can then say FB is stupid because of all the drama and the lack of privacy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:59:31 AM EST
Not really sure. I had one for a couple years and a bunch of people found me and I though that was neat to find friends from high school I hadn't seen in a long time

Then I realized, there is a reason I havn't kept in contact with those people and I never posted anything on there really so I deactivated it and am going to delete it permanantly soon.

It's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:59:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
I reconnected with some great people I have met over the years and haven't seen in a long time. Why are you worried about what other people do?

Jim

same here, sometimes its worth the drama when an old friend finds ya and you havent talked in 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:00:29 AM EST
Geez. ANOTHER "I'm cool because I don't get Facebook" thread?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:02:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Billy-the-Man:
Geez. ANOTHER "I'm cool because I don't get Facebook" thread?

This along with the whole 1911 vs Glock thing has become an Arfcom cornerstone of late.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:03:19 AM EST
Keep in touch with loved ones when you hare hundreds of miles away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:04:55 AM EST
This thread is the same as a Facebook post. The upside to Facebook is dumb broads post pictures if themselves in bikinis.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:05:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By Htown156:
This thread is the same as a Facebook post. The upside to Facebook is dumb broads post pictures if themselves in bikinis.

Bingo. I am always amused to see people bitch about Facebook on a public internet forum.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:06:38 AM EST

I use it to share photos and comments with friends and family some of whom who live far away.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:07:00 AM EST
I don't have a personal Facebook account but I get payed to manage the company accounts for a few clients and I run ads on it for a few clients as well.

Facebook makes it too easy for people you would rather forget to find you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:07:26 AM EST
Facebook?

-Pointless.

This thread?

Yeah...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:09:41 AM EST
Material for "U laugh u lose" thread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:09:42 AM EST
Potential employers just love it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:10:28 AM EST

actually, i think its better for men. we dont call eachother up on a daily basis to "chat" about everything.
men dont call eachother unless there is a specific communication that needs to be sent.
FB allows men to post general happenings and stay intouch with your friends without
resorting to twirling our hair while spending an hour on the phone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:03 AM EST

Alright thanks.

Do some of you keep tabs on certain people on FB? I'm talking borderline digital stalking.

Admit it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By madmike66:

Bingo. I am always amused to see people bitch about Facebook on a public internet forum.

Tiers of nerdom.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
Potential employers just love it.

Yes they do. Really.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
It's like arfcom, but with a narrower, fully customizable audience of people you actually know.

I realize for some here that the concept of having actual friends you want to keep up with is a bit tough to understand.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By madmike66:

Sensitive much?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:21 AM EST
I had a Facebook briefly. I never really used it, and I didn't have many friends, so I deactivated it. Eventually, I permanently deleted it and haven't missed it at all.

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person around under 30 who doesn't have a Facebook.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:13:31 AM EST
Facebook was ruined by old fucks, kids, and soccer moms who want to fucking rile the world through Farmville.

I was on Facebook when it was solely for college students. It was a goldmine for sniping hot ass from the University whenever I pleased. Now? Hell, I can't even post a status without my Aunt telling me in caps that "you need to come visit me."

Fuck you, Mark.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top