Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2001 7:06:41 AM EDT
1) What's a fair price for an 8mm FN-49 in very good condition?

2) Is it possible to buy 8mm Mauser ammo pre-loaded on stripper clips that will fit the FN-49?

3) What's the going rate for 8mm Mauser ammo?

4) How does the FN-49 compare with the Garand in terms of accuracy, reliability, trigger quality, and felt recoil?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  The price depends on location.  In my area, nice ones go for a round $400-$450.

2.  If the Egyptian '49s receivers are cut for standard 8mm strippers, then YES!  Tons are available.

3.  It is dirt cheap right now.  I can't really give you a price as that really depends on the maker.  The Turk stuff is almost as cheap as Wolf 7.62*39.  The price does however represent the quality of the ammo.

4.  Accuracy-Equal if compared to a standard Garand
   Reliability-Not as reliable, but you have to consider that the Garand is VERY good in this category
   Trigger Quality-Can vary from rifle to rifle, but the Garand probably has a better trigger overall.
   Recoil- The same on average, but the '49 has an adjustable gas system, so you can tune things a bit.

In my eyes, the '49 is more of a shooter grade collectable than a commonly used plinker, as non corrosive ammo can be expensive.  ALL the cheap ammo is corrosive, and you will have to clean the rifle using corrosive cleaning techniques to ensure it is in will stay in good condition.  I frequently shoot corrosive ammo in my bolt guns because cleaning them is a snap, but I only shoot it in my semis if I am prepared to do a GOOD and PROPER cleaning job.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are looking for a powerful semi automatic rifle that you can shoot often and cheaply for years, you might want to look eslewhere.  .308 guns are much more practical in this respect as almost all is non corrosive, and it is currently very cheap.  If you really want the '49 though, I'd say go for it!

Mine in .30-06:

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=51588175&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, DriftPunch.

The one I saw was $250, which is tempting, but the clean-up after shooting the cheap mil-surp ammo would be a pain.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks, DriftPunch.

The one I saw was $250, which is tempting, but the clean-up after shooting the cheap mil-surp ammo would be a pain.
View Quote

Yeah,
That's a terrible deal.  And cleaning is impossible (with windex).  You should probably let me take this deal so you won't be too disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, a very good FN49 for $250!!! I'd jump on it.  Is it a century put together?  (Century put many 8mms together from parts from damaged rifles)  Even if it was I'd jump on it.

Be glad it's not in my area! I'd just have to check it out.

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
$250 sounds like decent price for a Century parts gun.  It’s even better if the rifle is an original 8MM.  

Keep in mind:

There are minor differences in FN-49’s based on caliber.  Century parts guns are 8MM; however, they are made from a mix of parts.  You could, for example, find a 30-06 bolt  on the 8MM.  Regardless, they do seem to work ok.  

The serial number appears on several parts.  If there are several different numbers, you’re probably looking at a parts gun.  With parts guns, all of the metal parts are probably FN but some of the wood may be after-market.  Supposedly you can tell aftermarket handguards by the aluminum rivets that secure the ferrules.  The originals have steel rivets.

The 8MM, even if original, are less desirable than the other calibers.  8MM’s were made for Egypt and will have some Arabic lettering on then.  The 30-06 is the most desirable.  

(Actually the least desirable FN-49’s are probably the Argentine ones in 7.65 Argentine and 7.62X51 that were imported after the Crime Bill.  Since they met the definition of an assault rifle, the importer had to weld the muzzle caps on the barrels to permanently cover the threaded muzzle.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top