Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 2:07:08 PM EDT
My local firearms shop is costing me more in transfer fees than I spend on gas. I did a search and found a web site that sells a get your own FFL type of kit. Anybody tried this approach before?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why pay for something when you can get it for free??? The ATF will send you all the paperwork you need to start your own FFL. I don't have the link but someone else will post it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Do some research. It may not be worth the money/effort. And the feds are starting to crack down on home dealers from what I here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My local firearms shop is costing me more in transfer fees than I spend on gas. I did a search and found a web site that sells a get your own FFL type of kit. Anybody tried this approach before?

I looked into it.  Just go to the ATF website (http://www.atf.gov/forms/) and order the paper work.

Truthfully, whenI looked over the paper work, it seemed like the ATF was actively discouraging the  existence of "kitchen table" FFL dealers.  It seemed that if you didn't have a store with store hours,  then it would be next to impossible to get a FFL.  

I read somewhere that the number of FFLs has decline from somewhere in the 200,000s to about 60,000s since the 1960.  After looking at the paperwork, I can see why.

But still, if you can do it, then do it because shipping and transfer fees are definately costly.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had the paperwork for a few years.

You surrender your fourth amendmant protections regarding whatever address you list and whatever other address you may store arms.
They can show up when they want and do what they want.

I wouldn't apply for the license unless I had an independant structure, on land that was parceled seperately from the house, with its own address.
The idea that my actions might subject my family to the whims of BATFE are enough to keep me away from the license for now.

All according to plan I guess ..........
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember fellas...

The law says the FFL is not for enhancing your personal collection.  Rather, it is a business license.

If you are looking to collect, then apply for the Curio and Relic license.  No business hours, and a lot of the other requirements that a regular FFL has.  However, you are basically limite to firearms 50 years old or more.

Lots of guys on here are FFL's, sure they can chime in.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
from my understanding you can no longer obtain an FFL without a store front. I could be wrong.

J
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top