Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2002 11:07:04 AM EDT
My Wife and I have picked out a Boxer puppy.  I keep hearing good things about them.  We have been advised to take obedience training very seriously to produce a fine family dog. Anyone have experience with the bread?

[img]http://home.attbi.com/~markl32/wsb/media/79255/site1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Boxers are awesome dogs!
One of my favorite breeds - enjoy!
What coat?
Post a pic of the cute little bugger!

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I thought you meant Boxer Motors, like the Subaru, and Porsche examples. The dogs are cool too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I had farted constantly.  Even more than me.  My wife tried changing our diets, but the problem persisted.  Other than that he was a good dog.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The one I had farted constantly.  Even more than me.  My wife tried changing our diets, but the problem persisted.  Other than that he was a good dog.
View Quote

[:D] LMFAO!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Phew!!  I thought this was going to be an underwear thread.  [:D]

I've never owned a Boxer, but I have a couple of friends who have them.  Pretty cool dogs.  From what I understand, they aren't "naturally nasty", but obedience training is a must for any dog, IMO.

Also, every Boxer I've been around has had a propensity for farting.  I'm talking, "put on your mask now or clear the room", kind of stink.

Aside from that, they seem to be very even-tempered dogs and receptive to training.  Probably a good choice if you don't have the time to devote to working with a "higher-maintenance" breed like German Shepherds, Dobies, Rotties, APBT's, etc.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I got experience with 'em.  I'm wearing a pair right now.  Waddya wanna know?

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Great dogs. Yes, they need training like any other pooch, but they are pretty well tempered, and great around kids.

One piece of advice that I don't give lightly: Make sure that you have some small dishtowels around for when they eat...their jowels will acumulate a large amount of foamy spittle and food bits on the ends that they will then try and wipe off on any convenient surface, such as your couch or pants.

Those dogs love to run a lot too...give 'em space!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 5 year old Brindle male, who is looking at me right now and wondering why the hell I am not play with him.  Boxers are considered to be the peter pan of dogs.  They never grow-up, acting like puppies for most of their life.  Mine is one of the smartest dogs I have ever known.  He knows locations of the house, names of all his toys, and where to look for various vermin to chase when I tell him. A male that still has his nuts will definitely require a bit of strong and early discipline.  You picked a good breed and have fun wiping that mouth after eating!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife has a ten year old female and a four year old male. They are her best friends.
When she gets home tomorrow. I'll see if she wants to add anything here.
You'll love this pup!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone for the tips!  I'll figure out how to post pictures shortly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
The Boxer is the greatest Dog, but it will need lots of attention, it will slobber, and it will need plenty of exercise everyday rain or shine. The only bad part is that the boxer is not known for longevity, so you need to make everyday count. If you decide on obedience training, do not over do it and turn the boxer into a robot, you will take the fun right out of him.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife has a ten year old female and a four year old male. They are her best friends.
When she gets home tomorrow. I'll see if she wants to add anything here.
You'll love this pup!
View Quote

Post pics MDS!
I cannot have pets where I'm living right now, so I must enjoy thru others.......
[>(]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a female.  I just can't force myself to call anything this loyal, loving, and intelligent, a bitch.  She is great with kids.  Doesn't bark unless something IS wrong.  Great breed!  I wish I could get 2 more!  Yeah, they do fart, and you will want to wipe its flews when it eats, but mine doesn't drool.  Cock strong for their size too.  When mine was 10 months old, she ran across the yard with a 50 lb sack of landscape rocks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Boxers are wonderful.

My vet calls them "Walking Tumor Factories."

They have one of the highest rates of internal and external cancer.  Mine had 6 removed.

We loved ours, and she died young (lifespan 8-10 years)

Hip problems as well.  Lots of unreputable breeders out there, so be very very choosy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
The gratuitous puppy pic:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/GeneStoner%2FMVC%2D801F%2EJPG[/img]

This is "Punchy" my Boxer.  Outstanding dog.  The farting and slobbering is part of the "Boxer Charm," although my dog doesn't do either too much.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/GeneStoner%2FMVC%2D803F%2EJPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Post pics MDS!
I cannot have pets where I'm living right now, so I must enjoy thru others.......
[>(]
[/quote]

I got pix this morning. My typical welcome home at 0630. My lovely wife asleep and the two boxers (canid)in my spot on the bed!
I'll try to figure out how to post them Saturday night when I'm off.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~markl32/wsb/media/79255/site1.JPG[/img]

Here is Dagny, our new Boxer pup!  

Sorry it took so long to get the pictures up...
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top