Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 11:30:55 AM EDT
I have a 120v electric motor on a table saw that vibrates badly, but runs.  The shaft feels free--I thought about a bearing.  It has very little power and will kick the breaker under any sawing load.

Is this worth trying to get it fixed?  Might it be something simple that I could fix?  A new one is ~$300.  Rigid/Home Depot brand.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
To take the motor to a rewind shop,  will probably cost you more than you want to spend on it.  They probably won't touch it for under a hundred.  We had the same problem with a table saw here at work.  Bite the bullet and buy the rigid one.  If the motor craps out on it, you can replace it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]

It's not economical to rebuild small motors like that . If it's not a bearing or something simple
then you might as well cruise the 'net and see if you can find it cheaper .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Check Grainger -- they have some really good motors at really low prices.  A motor in one of my tools burned out;  the mfr wanted $90 to replace it.  Grainger had one that fit (after I snapped off two unnecessary extra mounting screws), was significantly more powerful, and cost $28.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
injun-ear: Look in the local yellow pages under "electrical motors," and ask them how much to rewind a motor, it is really expensive, unless you have a very special, unique, collectible; it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new motor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Check Grainger -- they have some really good motors at really low prices.  A motor in one of my tools burned out;  the mfr wanted $90 to replace it.  Grainger had one that fit (after I snapped off two unnecessary extra mounting screws), was significantly more powerful, and cost $28.

Grainger has good prices on motors.  Though, sometimes the service is unbelievable.

Such as I ordered a 45HP 3PH Motor.  They sent me a 150HP Motor!  What the hell was I gonna do with this thing?

I called them 3 times to pick it up and it sat on my dock for about a year.  (Mind you, I never paid for this motor, nor ever receieved a bill).

I called one last time, saying I had someone willing to pay cash for it and that they had 45 minutes to beat the buyer here.  Surprise, I had a truck at my dock in 15 minutes that took the motor away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top