Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2002 4:40:55 AM EDT
Last night right around 2300 my ear started throbbing, the pain was pretty bad so I popped 3 tyelenol and got back on the computer. Well I then realized that this was going to be a long night because the pain just kept escalating and escalating. So I'm lying in bed around 2 a.m. wondering what the fuck I'm goin to do so I can get to sleep. I get up take another tylenol and some decongestant that was perscribed for my earlier head cold, I thought it might bring down some of the pressure I was feeling in my ear. I rarely get sick and the last time I can remember having an ear infection was when I was about 8. So I just lay there trying to find a position where it isn't as painful and try to go to sleep. Well after about another hour of that crap I get up and get on the computer hoping to get so tired I just ignore the pain and fall asleep. Well I could barely type, or browse the internet because of the pain. So I just go back and lay down and then all of this weird noise is coming from inside of my ear. Well there is a loud popping noise then I feel wetness. Well there is all of this pinkish clear liquid seeping from my ear. So I lay there all night mopping up this pink crap running from my ear. Well it's now 0800 and I still have seepage coming from my ear but not as bad, and after the liquid started pouring out most of the pain has vanished. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas exactly what has happened and any home remedies? I've already put some antibiotic ear drops in it this morning. Any other suggestions besides going to the doctor? I remember having this exact same thing happen when I was about 7 or 8 and all they did was send me home with some antibiotics.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 8nd, sounds like exactly what happened. I really don't have a history of them. Just one other time that I can remember. Also I can still hear out of my right ear but it's just a little washed out plus their is a weird sounding echo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Also what does it mean by toxicity?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]
82ndAbn is just trying to get his post count up! He doesn't really care about you!
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are a diver or a swimmer you would have to deal with this from time to time..

What I have done in the past...is to get an ear bulb from the drug store..some hydrogen peroxide some rubbing alcholol and some oilve oil...or aloe vera..or USP glycerine to mix with the alcohol..

I use the ear bulb as directed..the peroxide makes it unpleasant for anaerobic bacteria and loosing wax matrix they breed in..

.Alcohol dries up the moisture the bacteria need and the aloe or olive oil or glycerine keeps the ear lining soft as alcohol dries it up too much damaging the lining..

[b]In your case get to an MD and get some anti biotics..[/b]

Rest the ear on a towel on a heating pad might also give you some pain relief..

Not getting this taken care of will result in ear drum damage and possible long term hearing loss..
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Pay close attention to 82ndAbn's advice.  He is right on the mark.  My grandson has it and is on his way to the doc's office as I write this.  My son had it often when he was a kid, as did I when I was a young 'un.

You had an infection in your "middle ear" just behind your eardrum.  The ringing/noise and pain were associated with the buildup of pus.  When the pressure finally exceeded the tensile strength of your eardrum...POP!  It ruptured and let the poison out.  No...you have temporarily been relieved of the pain...but NOT the cause.  You have a bacterial infection in there that must be treated.  If you do not treat it with some antibiotics you will likely get bad scarring on your tympanic membrane (Remember...the eardrum?) and possibly a permanent hole and almost certain loss of hearing in that ear.  Finally...it might even get worse and lead to a much worse infection...ending up in your brain...and ending your life.

Don't screw with this.  Go to the doctor, get some antibiotic and take it all!  In a couple of days, the symptoms will go away...but you have to take all of the meds...for about ten days...or it may come back and it will be stronger because it built up a resistance to the meds.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all of your advice guys, I'll try to make a run into the doctor's tonight. Thanks for all of the help. "I can hear bells ringin'"-From Black Hawk Down the movie
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know of any general causes for this? I heard that it could be from the congestion I had earlier this month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top