Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:46 PM EDT
Looking for a EDC LED flashlight.

Been carrying around my TLR-1HL for the last few months and I think I just need one dedicated to everyday use.

Been looking around for small compact ones.

I have a huge interest in the streamlight protac 1l.

Love the size. Priced well.

Not sure if it's enough light (lumens/output)

Does anyone here have any experience with it or recommend any other EDC compact led flashlights??
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the single AA cell Zebralight SC52. I've had one for several months and its the best EDC light I've ever had.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
My EDC is the Streamlight Protac 2L. I love that light.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd stay with the WML. I carry a SF X300 in my pocket with my G19 AIWB. Use the light like any flashlight but if ever I need to, I can snap it on the pistol. Been happy ever since.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually got the Protac 1L a few weeks ago.  I bought it *sort of* on a whim because I had $50 in Bass Pro gift cards and couldn't really find anything else I needed/wanted but I did need a very small LED light.  All my other lights are bigger.

Overall, it's great for it's size.  I carry it either in my pocket or briefcase depending on if I'm wearing a suit or not.  I like the fact that it uses CR123's because that's what all my other lights use.

I'm sure there are other lights out there that have better spec sheets but for what it is, it seems to fit the bill pretty well.  I keep a Fenix PD32 in my truck and have Fenix TK22 and TK35 at home.  Bass Pro didn't have the greatest selection of lights, so if I were buying one normally, I would have probably shopped around and spent more time looking at specs online, but it's still a nice light.  Has a High, Low and Strobe mode, clicky tail cap for either momentary or constant on and a belt clip.

My only real gripe is that the belt clip is one of those half clips that are rounded and "clip" onto the body of the light.  The clip itself it's permanently attached to the light.  So it could come off accidentally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Maratac AA

They have a AAA version as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maratac AA

View Quote

Looks like a nice light.  I couldn't tell from the description, is it a twist or click type light?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Surefire back-up
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a Protac 1L. Great light for the size.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
For those that carry the protac 1l. Is the light pretty bright?!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like a nice light.  I couldn't tell from the description, is it a twist or click type light?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maratac AA

It's a twist. First twist medium next twist low third twist high at 130 lumens.

ETA - the aluminum version is 5 lumens less than the stainless and has only two modes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those that carry the protac 1l. Is the light pretty bright?!
View Quote

I think it is.  It's enough to momentarily stun somebody.  But it's hard for me to compare because all my other lights are 500-1000 lumens.

But for ordinary use I think it's plenty bright and it has a high and low mode.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Been through more than I can count, right now I'm rocking a Fenix PD22.  It is one of the few lights with true "deep" pocket carry due to the clip position.

Also love the UI.

Nice and sturdy.  Prior to that I had heavily carried Lumapower Incendio's but the clip can't handle any kind of abuse at all.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a Olight m10. It's nice, small and bright.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Surefire E1B rides in my picket everyday
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Is 250 lumins considered good ?

Picked up a 3 pack of Snap On AAA 250 lumin lights and they are very bright.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been through more than I can count, right now I'm rocking a Fenix PD22.  It is one of the few lights with true "deep" pocket carry due to the clip position.

Also love the UI.

Nice and sturdy.  Prior to that I had heavily carried Lumapower Incendio's but the clip can't handle any kind of abuse at all.
View Quote

That PD22 looks really nice.  Really wish Bass Pro carried Fenix stuff.  I have 3 Fenix lights and love and use them all.  Looks like I'll be adding a 4th.  Looks similar to the Protac, but like you said, not all lights have the pocket clip that allows the light to slide all the way in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Been carrying around my TLR-1HL for the last few months and I think I just need one dedicated to everyday use.

Does anyone here have any experience with it or recommend any other EDC compact led flashlights??
View Quote

I recommend the Jaffa Cree! flashlight. Cheap, works well, and looks nice. What is not to like? You can get them all over the place. I got mine on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]

FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp

Available on Amazon for $3.95.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA - the aluminum version is 5 lumens less than the stainless and has only two modes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maratac AA

Peak has some great twisties as well.  You can even get them with a mule head so there is no hot spot if you like.
I have purchased 5 Quarks from 4Sevens and of those I carry a regular Quark single AA with a tactical switch.
With bezel tight it soft presses to select either a turbo or strobe mode.  For longer run times I just loosen the bezel and select from low to high levels.
Very quick to operate mine has a High Color Rendition Index XPG which is almost like an incan bulb.  
I purchased that one used after loosing my first AA sized one.
170-200 lumens out the front because I use a 14500 Lithium rechargeable cell.
On a single Nimh it will run around 100 lumens.
If you don't mind using 16340 cells/CR123s that version isn't much longer.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Surefire back-up
View Quote

This.

Or...

Last chance:
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#21]
get one of the cheap cree ones GD is always talking about. for $3 i couldnt pass it up bought two of them to try them out... they are actually pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
My EDC is a Surefire E1B. Love the hell out of this thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Olight m-10 maverick. Fantastic light. My EDC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got a Olight m10. It's nice, small and bright.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Been carrying a streamlight protac 1AA almost a year now.  Great light.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Petzl Zipka Plus 2.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Protac is great for fitting in your pocket and bright enough to find your way in the dark or for something that fell behind a desk.

It isn't blinding anyone while you pull out your CCW though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry a FourSevens Preon P1

It's the perfect size but I can't really recommend it because it defaults to the lowest lumen setting and doesn't have push button activation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I EDC an olight s10 with the XM-L2. Great little light.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is what I carry.  It was a gift from an arfcommer.  Great light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry a Protac 1L. Great light for the size.

That is what I carry.  It was a gift from an arfcommer.  Great light.

The Maratac is 20 lumens brighter on a AA is smaller but lasts half as long. The Maratac is waterproof twice the depth for 4 times as long. Plus you get a little glow in the dark diffuse silicon reading cap. You can also reverse the pocket clip to clip onto a hat for a head lamp.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
i liked the streamlight protac AAA but it was discontinued.  its as big around as a pen so it doesnt hog pocket space.

I bought my dad a protec AA for christmas and he loves it too.  i like how quality flashlight manufacturers have started to offer stuff in more conventional battery sizes.  even if the arent as bright as a cr123A light, i have a pile of cheap AAs to use.

edit- found it! i thought it was discontinued dammit.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=144
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I mostly use a Protac 1L. One for work. One for home.

Have a couple 2Ls also. Love those lights as well.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I carried my original Streamlight Protac 1L in my pocket for 4 years before it died on me. It didn't go all at once, it stopped turning on unless I slapped it and eventually stopped working altogether.

I followed Streamlight's warranty instructions and had a brand new light within a week.

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/nr0xaoj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/855/0xao.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice!!

Probably going to pick up the Protec 1L based just on this post, Sounds like they have a very good customer service and stand behind their product.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
My Fenix PD30 is pretty spiffy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Foursevens mini

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foursevens mini

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DImnJgXYmGY/TQmrCXGhRAI/AAAAAAAAAbw/osz9qrg4aZA/s1600/4Sevens%2BQuark%2BMiNi%2BSeries.jpg

checking it out now... they're pretty sweet
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#41]
This, I bought two of them and used them at work all night, lots of on/off use.  Very small, surprisingly bright, I'd guess 150 lumens using a single NiMh battery.  One of them had a finicky switch that quit working for a moment.  Great deal for $4.

Quoted:

FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp

http://enchantedsavings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mini-flashlight.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This, I bought two of them and used them at work all night, lots of on/off use.  Very small, surprisingly bright, I'd guess 150 lumens using a single NiMh battery.  One of them had a finicky switch that quit working for a moment.  Great deal for $4.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got one. they sent one with the strobe feature and focusing lens

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. I was very pleasantly surprised with those lights. It's obviously not a Surefire, but for 4 bucks, it's pretty sweet.

The other light I've been pretty happy with--and has actually become my EDC--is the Maglite XL50. It's an LED, runs on 3 AAA batteries, and cost me like 20 bucks. It's brighter than my Fenix and Streamlight lights, and it's cheap enough that if I lose it or break it, I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been carrying a Surefire E2D Executive Defender since 2008 that was given to me as a gift. It's been awesome.
I broke the tail cap after a year or so & called Surefire to order a new one- They sent me a new one for free.
2yrs later the bezel came apart from hard use & wouldn't go back together- Surefire sent a free replacement once again. No questions asked...

Recently noticed that they changed this little beast to an E2D Ultra 500 Lumen LED, (but doubled the price) which is crazy money & a lot of lumens for such a little flashlight. I think i'll call Surefire & ask them if they sell the LED conversion lamp for it & how much it costs. Better yet maybe Brightflashlights would know... Don't get me wrong, this little 60 Lumen - Non LED flashlight has served me amazingly well for almost 6yrs & the light output is more than enough to blind anyone for a good 10mins- let alone the strike bezels at both ends serve as excellent striking edges if needed & will remove chunks of flesh. It's a great light that's relatively unobtrusive physically but that packs quite a luminous punch. I have to say I am very attracted to the beam configuration of the Surefire MN03. It has the perfect amount of throw & spill.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Fenix PD35 currently the best EDC flashlight on the market.

Eta: the Armytek Predator Pro might be a tad big for EDC but it is a beast of a light and my favorite flashlight I own.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Im a Surefire fanboy so currently a P2X Fury going to a P3X Fury soon. And don't buy SF's at retail /listed prices contact BrightFlashlight in the Industry section for the best deals.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#47]
My edc is a protac 1l, leatherman juice s2 multitool and either an xds9 or a pf9 pocket carried.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Look at the single AA cell Zebralight SC52. I've had one for several months and its the best EDC light I've ever had.
<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/czshooter/media/IMG_6355-3_zpsd6cefdb9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/czshooter/IMG_6355-3_zpsd6cefdb9.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/czshooter/media/IMG_6357-2_zps55622e69.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/czshooter/IMG_6357-2_zps55622e69.jpg</a>

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I have this. It's great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:41:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Currently carry a fenix pd35 daily. Use it constantly at work when in the equipment. Simple interface, tailcap clicky for on/off, separate button to change the output, remembers the last setting when turned off. Great runtime off a single 18650.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I settled on an Armytek Partner after a long search for a replacement for my old Fenix L1T. I'm very pleased. Single AA, great output, simple interface, short, cheap.

http://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-and-camping/armytek-partner-a1-xp-g.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top