Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
Ok, the class ring thread got me wondering if other schools do this...

At Texas A&M, your class ring is something very special.  When you get it, tradition requires you to "dunk" it.  That means to put it in a pitcher of beer and drink the entire pitcher in the number of seconds you grad. in.

For example, I grad. in '03, had to drink the pitcher in 103 seconds.  But I did it in 36!  I'm the little guy in the middle and I beat the shit out of my roommates at our ring dunking party

EPOCH

ETA: edit for the grammar nazi

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You spilled a little.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked with a couple of Aggie Engineers when I was in Texarkana, great guys.  They were both very proud of dunking their class rings.  I'd never heard of it until working with these gents.  There seems to be good tradition at Texas A&M.      
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah........ a fine example of the well-educated future leaders of our great nation!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought 70 seconds was good for a skinny dude...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
They don't let you do it at the Chicken anymore, do they?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Those of you outside of Texas:

Aggies do inexplicable things.  Some are of the "sordid" nature, unfortunately.  This is one of the tamer examples.

They're the loudmouth uncle that shows up at holidays that you just learn to tolerate.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty retarded if ya ask me  

Grow up....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok, the class ring thread got me wondering if other schools do this...

At Texas A&M, your class ring is something very special.  When you get it, tradition requires you to "dunk" it.  That means to put it in a picture of beer and drink the entire pitcher in the number of seconds you grad. in.<snip>

Another Growin' and Buildin' Graduate.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not really, it's pretty common for a person to puke and since it's usually a group event, you can imagine the mess

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Grow up....

Nope, no one asked.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, it's pretty common for a person to puke and since it's usually a group event, you can imagine the mess

EPOCH

I assumed it was for liability.  A lot of people puked every time I went there, and when I dunked my ring.  One gal nearby was every guy's dream girl because she chugged that pitcher like a man.  She pulled the ring out of her mouth and prompty replaced the beer into the pitcher.  I was still impressed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Grow up....

Get over yourself.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Okay, how many overzealous guys get to either throw up or sift out their ring when they accidentally drink it like a worm in tequila?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, you must be so proud.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grow up....

Get over yourself.  

Or tell us about one of your college's unique traditions, stupid or otherwise...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For example, I grad. in '03, had to drink the picture in 103 seconds.  But I did it in 36!  I'm the little guy in the middle and I beat the shit out of my roommates at our ring dunking party

EPOCH

How in the world do you drink a picture?

Dying art because it requires Polaroids...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Grow up....

You must be the life of the party.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I seem to recall WWII graduates of paratrooper school doing this with their jump wings.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I seem to recall WWII graduates of paratrooper school doing this with their jump wings.

Yep, but don't tell that to pointblank or zitiforbreakfast, I don't think they can back peddle that fast.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
So, does the ring add flavor or something? I don't get it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Where's the "100" in the '03? Do 2010 grads get 110 seconds?

I forgot - A&M. Cow wranglin' and tractor fixin', but none of that there math.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeesh, you guys gotta do better than that...  We're used to hearing lame aggie jokes

EPOCH

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

so 3 seconds makes more sense?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so 3 seconds makes more sense?  

Yep. Sooner or later they'll figure out that funnels can be used for beer down there.

ETA: who couldn't drink a pitcher in 1:03? I mean, come on, that's long enough to drink half, go pee, come back and finish.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
how stupid.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
how stupid.

Sgatr15

no one asked...

I puked like a little bitch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I like all the little traditions that A&M has....They do some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

For the record, y'all are just copying West Point.  Class rings since 1835, the first educational institute to have them.

Would that stem from also having a Corps of Cadets?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how stupid.

Sgatr15

as oppossed to playing with dolls?

For the record, y'all are just copying West Point.  Class rings since 1835, the first educational institute to have them.

They dunk 'em o'er there, too?  If you have to copy someone you could copy worse.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grow up....

Get over yourself.  

Or tell us about one of your college's unique traditions, stupid or otherwise...

Now I think that deserves a main board poast, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet a lot of you people saying it's retarded have some even more retarded family traditions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're the loudmouth uncle that shows up at holidays that you just learn to tolerate.

Baloney!

My Father was Texas A&M, Class of '49.

Would have been Class of '45, but he had a job to do in the South Pacific that kept him and most of his fellow Aggies busy for several years.

The 'loudmouth uncle' who shows up at holidays is likely a tea-sipping TU grad.

Eric The(SonOfAggie)Hun

Yeah, like the "bonfire" ?
Tell you what, if you want to be in engineering, go to UT.
Ag's and fags are all the same.
No cheerleaders, only yell leaders/"the corps"

By the way, we still beat the SH!+ out of ya'll every year.
Ag football is not at all.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I assumed it was for liability.  A lot of people puked every time I went there, and when I dunked my ring.  One gal nearby was every guy's dream girl because she chugged that pitcher like a man.  She pulled the ring out of her mouth and prompty replaced the beer into the pitcher.  I was still impressed.

Actually it is due to a TABC crackdown.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Your class ring is "special?" Wow, I didn't even bother buying one. Seemed like a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baloney!

Would have been Class of '45, but he had a job to do in the South Pacific that kept him and most of his fellow Aggies busy for several years.

Eric The(SonOfAggie)Hun

Nice class asshole...    12 fellow students died my freshman year.  I would like for you to say that little comment in front of any Ag  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yah lets make fun of a tragic accident were people were killed Trolls are running rampant!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baloney!

Eric The(SonOfAggie)Hun

Nice class asshole...    12 fellow students died my freshman year.  I would like for you to say that little comment in front of any Ag  

Whoooooop! I have and I always do.
Don't hate me, hate the stupid tradition. Heck, if not hate the tradition, hate the people who put that thing up. If they're inadequate at building something like that, it's THEIR fault that it went down.

So, don't "asshole" me for pointing out yall's flaws. Don't hate the messenger. We're just tea-sipping TU students.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
geish, grow up. You dont see us talking about Charles Whitman and that tragedy, because we dont
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah lets make fun of a tragic accident were people were killed Trolls are running rampant!

Again, your spite is pointed in the wrong direction. It's the people who built it that are at fault. Any person with logic would know to equate the tragedy with that.
And I wasn't making fun of the tragedy as much as I was pointing out how stupid the tradition is.

The tea sipping TU student will stop trolling now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]
good call
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Yah i guess all the people who got sniped at tu,  it was their fault for walking around and being targets.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The sniper wanted to cause harm. The ag's didn't. They were just incompetent at what they were doing. Again, it IS a tragedy.
It was a tragedy that could have been prevented if that dumb tradition wasn't in existence; since it is, they should have been more knowledgable in building such massive bonfires.

It's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened at all. People's lives were WASTED because of the inadequacy of the builders, and because of the illogic of the whole tradition.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a few friends that go there and i like ut.  I dont care for austin as a city with their liberal views but the school is a good school.  I honestly dont like when my fellow ags talk down on ut for no reason, other than they think its the aggie thing to do.  I think ut and A&M should unite against OU, the REAL enemy. TX needs to stick together.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yah i guess all the people who got sniped at tu,  it was their fault for walking around and being targets.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The sniper wanted to cause harm. The ag's didn't. They were just incompetent at what they were doing. Again, it IS a tragedy.
It was a tragedy that could have been prevented if that dumb tradition wasn't in existence; since it is, they should have been more knowledgable in building such massive bonfires.

It's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened at all. People's lives were WASTED because of the inadequacy of the builders, and because of the illogic of the whole tradition.

I thought you were gonna STFU?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top