Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 8:25:47 AM EDT
I've never let anyone "dry-fire" at home, indoors, and or any place but on target.  Just a safe habit for my home.  
Anyone else have the same rule??          
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
nope
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
nope
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I dry fire at home pointing at a blue screen at the tv all the time, with my 1911's.
You have to keep that "Squeeze" in check, and prevents pull.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[size=4]Nope![/size=4]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
um... I'm gunna say, no
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I dry-fire at home all the time, but I always make sure the chamber is clear first. ALWAYS. Double-check, finger-check, whatever.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
So far, thats about what I thought.  Sometimes my safe rules get a bit much, however it helps me sleep better at night, and I'm not in a combat sit at this time.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So far, thats about what I thought.  Sometimes my safe rules get a bit much, however it helps me sleep better at night, and I'm not in a combat sit at this time.
[coffee]
View Quote
Your house, your rules. Do whatever you must to feel secure.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[coffee]
View Quote
Your house, your rules. Do whatever you must to feel secure.
View Quote

Thanks man, Got go with the "House Rules"  As crazy as they may be#%#  [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Dry firing is like beatin' off and stopping before you "get there". Makes no sense to me.
AB
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dry-firing smooths out the trigger on my 1911-style pistol.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I try to do atleast 25 or more, good, well aimed dry fires every day - I find it really helps to keep my shooting skills sharp... I perform a chamber check EACH AND EVERY TIME I pick a weapon up, and keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times... I don't view that habit as being unsafe in any way - I'll add this: in 35 years of shooting, I have never shot ANYTHING by accident...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dry firing is like beatin' off and stopping before you "get there". Makes no sense to me.
AB
View Quote

[nono]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I try to do atleast 25 or more, good, well aimed dry fires every day - I find it really helps to keep my shooting skills sharp... I perform a chamber check EACH AND EVERY TIME I pick a weapon up, and keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times... I don't view that habit as being unsafe in any way - I'll add this: in 35 years of shooting, I have never shot ANYTHING by accident...

- georgestrings
View Quote

I agree with your "Rule" and do think that more trigger time can only help shooting skills.  My "house rule" came from having one or more young shooters at home.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
In your house, depends on your situation.  It's your house.

At the range, down range only is a damn good rule.  You look at the threads we have about goofs and bozos at ranges, NDs etc.  Me, I would feel a lot safer with that.

There's a lot of guys here and other places that claim they could never make a mistake. Well a fatal mistake is not the way to start.

too many clowns around at a lot of places I've been.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope.

Dry firing is a great way to keep in practice.  Not being able to do so at home severely limits your ability to train.

Stick to the 4 rules and you'll be fine.

Before handling a weapon I drop the mag, clear the chamber visually and by touch, close the action and deliberately fire while pointed in a safe direction (usually the floor).

A little paranoia is a healthy thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I dry fire at home.

I check every time I pick up a firearm to dry fire, though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow I should try that too....

[lolabove]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[lolabove]
View Quote

I don't get it....?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[lolabove]
View Quote

I don't get it....?
View Quote

Just ragging on you for stating the obvious [;)]

(Well at least I hope this is obvious to most shooters)
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[lolabove]
View Quote

I don't get it....?
View Quote

Just ragging on you for stating the obvious [;)]

(Well at least I hope this is obvious to most shooters)
View Quote

Well if this and other simple gun rules were 'obvious' to everyone, and everyone practiced them, we wouldn't have firearms accidents.

I would [i]hope[/i] this is obvious, though. You never know.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
um... I'm gunna say, no
View Quote

[^]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I dry fire at home all the time.

I always check the chamber, and make sure I'm aiming at something I won't miss if I do have an AD......My TV.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
i just pick up whatever's laying around and pull the trigger, sometimes you get lucky and only get a dry fire!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top