Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 4:31:30 PM EDT
Finally done with school, and I'm driving back from Indiana to Washington State. Forgive me if this is a novice question, as I've never travelled interstate with firearms before. I've acquired some new toys (an AR and a 1911) and I'm packing them up with me. The states I'll be traveling through are Illinois, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho. I've looked at the firearms laws for these states, and it appears as though I'll be fine as long as I'm carrying the guns unloaded, disassembled, and locked away out of sight (in a locked case). Just wanted to check and see if there might be something I missed with the firearms laws of any of these states? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't matter what the state laws say, the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 preempts them.  As long as your weapon is unloaded, and in the trunk, and legal to possess in the state you are going to, you are legal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top