Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:10:22 PM EST
Does your dog have bad breath? If so, do you brush his teeth?

We took in a stray this summer. His breath is still bad. No mouth tumors. Same diet as our other two dogs but his breath has been bad since day one. Teeth are very white but he does have plaque on the back teeth.

So for those that brush, which paste do you like?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:51:48 PM EST
Give them something good to chew on at least once per week.

But, that being said, brushing their teeth just once per week can make a HUGE difference in the cleanliness of their teeth. And they have chicken-flavored toothpaste that the dogs love.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:29:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 3:35:10 PM EST by 007Kevin]
Rawhide bones do wonders. We get the dental kind from Sam's Club. Half a bone a day, brush once a month, and his teeth are very white and clean. Our vet comments every time and asks what we do.

ETA - We use Pet Dental from Petco. I have also taken a pick to the teeth once or twice a year to pick the plaque. Sometimes you have to really dig on the plaque to get it off.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:35:46 AM EST
My dog allows me to brush hers. She also likes beef tendons in between brushing.

The paste I like smells like mint and she seems to like it. I got it at Petco and it's a gel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:44:44 AM EST
Toothpaste isn't necissary, the toothbrush does the cleaning. If you want to add some abrasive to help remove the staining and built up plaque just get toothpaste made for children that is without flouride or use baking soda. Remember your dog should be receiving yearly dentals from your vet.
Page General » Pets
Top Top