Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:49:11 PM EDT
I have two dogs that like to chew the dog tags off each other. They have chewed up the normal rings, wire ties, even a small padlock I have used to attach their tags with.

What you suggest to use?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
electric shock
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Metal tags
Metal choke chain
Metal split-ring key ring connecting tags to chain

What's to chew then?

Then the damn dogs need dentures.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What about that stuff they put on babies thumbs to keep them from sucking them? I painted my baseboard in the kitchen with Tabasco/cayenne mix when I kept my pup there while he was teething. Nipped it in the bud.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Aloe vera. Break a peice off of the plant and squize the juice on the tags.

It taste like crap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they trying to chew off the tags specifically or are the tags coincidental victims?

Sometimes dogs will play (or fight) by biting each other on the throat.  If both of your dogs have wet fur around their necks, this is probably what they're doing.  If that's the case, be careful.  Dogs have been known to get locked into the other dog's collar.  They then will go into a biting frenzy with one or both possibly ending up dead.  

If they are targeting the tags, it's obvious that they are planning an escape and are attempting to change their I.D. before the break.  Just get their prints and put out an all points bulletin after they get out.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
One idea is to draw down

On a more serious note:

I don't own a dog, but Jarhead_22's idea makes sense to me.  The only dog I ever come into contact with, my GF's German Shepherd, doesn't have tags.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Metal tags
Metal choke chain
Metal split-ring key ring connecting tags to chain

What's to chew then?

They mangle those split key rings making them sharp. The aluminum rabies tags they chew up. I actually have to put their rabies numbers on metal tags.

Great idea about the bitter apple that they put on dog bandages.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about that stuff they put on babies thumbs to keep them from sucking them? I painted my baseboard in the kitchen with Tabasco/cayenne mix when I kept my pup there while he was teething. Nipped it in the bud.

he's on the right track.  mix cayene pepper and elmer's glue.  put a good coat on there and let it dry.  they'll learn right quick
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aloe vera. Break a peice off of the plant and squize the juice on the tags.

It taste like crap.

???

Aloe vera is a common food item here in Taiwan.  In summer, one of the more popular drinks is a citrus-ade (I don't know what the fruit is, tastes like a lemon but they are small and round and green) with cubes of aloe vera gel in it "to promote health".  They sell aloe gel in cans for purposes of consumption, too.  Tastes fine to me;  I used to get a half-liter of the 'ade every day on my way home from work to get my vitamin C.

Squeeze some habanero juice on the tags.  Dogs eat shit (as in "fecal matter") all the time, but if you incinerate their tongue that might get their attention.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Squeeze some habanero juice on the tags.  

You're a mean bastard!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Squeeze some habanero juice on the tags.  

You're a mean bastard!

+10000000000000000!

(The "!" indicates factorial, BTW.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top