Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 12/3/2018 5:08:01 PM EST
So has anyone here been posted to
Djibouti? What about nearby parts of Africa?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:16:59 PM EST
@McEggins
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:46:53 PM EST
I’m just here because I love saying Djibouti.

The capitol of Djibouti is Djibouti.

Djibouti. Djibouti, Djibouti.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:17:19 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
I'm just here because I love saying Djibouti.

The capitol of Djibouti is Djibouti.

Djibouti. Djibouti, Djibouti.
View Quote
(Rolling Stones)

Shattered, shattered.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:19:06 PM EST
Probably shows my ignorance but is McEggins a military base in the area?
High probability my son will be headed there in a few months.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:22:32 PM EST
What do you think you'll be doing there? It's largely unit dependent on whether or not you'll be able to go to the nearby parts of africa.

In terms of the place itself and the base you'd be staying at, it's hot and polluted. Like, wake up in the morning and smell the burning trash type polluted.

The base is well built, with a mainstreet, newish chow hall that never has a line longer than 15 minutes for the omelet line, pizza hut, subway, and a couple of rec centers. A nice Wardroom, wifi purchasable for your CLU, and some oportunities to take your days off offbase. But that last part depends largely on if your unit will sign off on your leaving the base.

That's the broader aspect of it, shoot some more questions if you want some more in depth knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:24:37 PM EST
Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake your Djibouti, shake your Djibouti

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:33:33 PM EST
Actually it will be my son going in the spring for a 6 month tour. The pictures I pull up look pretty grim. Not sure what his unit will be doing day to day. I take that in part they will serve to be a reactive force is something breaks loose in other locations.

How hot does it get over there? Sounds extreme to me.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:59:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2018 8:36:14 PM EST by DvlDog]
I was there for all of 05 and 06. Camp Lemonier was only 55 acres back then. I loved it. I had a difficult, high stress job that kinda ruined it for me but Africa was great as far as deployments go. I hear it's only gotten better in regards to facilities

Truth be told, its not really much of a "deployment" as far as danger and combat. Hell, you can leave base to go drinking in town. The French military takes their families there.

Your kid will be fine unless he's an idiot. HIV rate is 13%. Stay away from he ethiopian hookers and any russian and he'll be ok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:20:32 PM EST
What do you want to know?

I was there in 07 for about 7 mo. We had a pool, 2 bars, gym, running trail and a/c in our tents. KBR ran the dfac and the food was awesome.

I’ve had much worse deployments.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:33:59 PM EST
Thanks guys. That's a relief.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:43:33 PM EST
Formerly known French Somaliland it is stable and hosts numerous military bases. US, French, Chinese, even Japan. Nothing to do there except fly to Dubai.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:46:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By fisherman:
Actually it will be my son going in the spring for a 6 month tour. The pictures I pull up look pretty grim. Not sure what his unit will be doing day to day. I take that in part they will serve to be a reactive force is something breaks loose in other locations.

Thank you.
View Quote
Super quiet, and the base has been quite well developed since I was there in '04/'05.

There's a bar on base, and liberty out in town. Tell your boy to stay away from the hookers and he'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:59:05 PM EST
Flipping hot.

Better developed now than when I went there in 79'. Back then it was all French foreign legion and Armee de l'air. Down town was sacred cows, dutch beer, and a zillion sketchy skinnys. Worst part of my visit was every cab driver who would fly through traffic at 80 mph while stoned on khat and blind as a bat from chewbacca cataracts. Good times... heh.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:35:35 AM EST
So it sounds like a quiet area. Low chance of combat.
That's not bad news from my pov as a parent but he may see it differently.

Not worried about him taking chances socially.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:31:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By fisherman:

Thank you.
View Quote
Basically, after the whole Benghazi debacle they wanted to have a new unit in strategic locations that could get from the base country to the new country within 6 hours or so.
The time is something I pulled out of my ass, but the important info is that your son will be doing a lot of sitting around like he's in garrison back home. Practicing packing and loading up C-130/C-17s, having all your shit cleaned and prepared, and trying not to get caught shamming.

If he's there for 6 months after springtime, he won't see temps below 80 degrees. Daytime gets up to 120+ with humidity, I think there were a couple of days that felt like 130.

Best he can do is take advantage of the rec centers, get reading done, and talk to the fine foreign chicks who get onto the base. French, Italians, Germans, etc are all coming on and off the base.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:35:52 PM EST
A guy I know was stationed there. Army Forward Observer, fighting AQ connected Al Shabab in Somalia.

No liberty and several countries have troops based there. USA, China and France all have bases.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:28:41 PM EST
One and all very much appreciated.
Top Top