Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:24:50 AM EDT
do US citizens have the right to "disapear"? Suppose I choose to leave society and head for the hills. Can I live in peace withouth an ID, papers on public land and not pay taxes? build my own dwelling and hunt for my chow?

...alaska's probably the only place left in the county to disapear.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, if disappearing does not include trying to develop a new identity using forged/false documentation.

If you are considering Alaska, don't forget a baseball bat for the mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Disappear

Main Entry: dis·ap·pear
Pronunciation: "di-s&-'pir
Function: verb
intransitive senses
1 : to pass from view
2 : to cease to be : pass out of existence or notice
transitive senses : to cause the disappearance of
- dis·ap·pear·ance  /-'pir-&n(t)s/ noun
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean like die?

I think the IRS will always want to keep tabs on you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Join the Amish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
French Foreign Legion works well.  They even set you up with a new ID afterwards :P
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes, if disappearing does not include trying to develop a new identity using forged/false documentation.

In the several years that I lived in Alaska, I ran into several people there that were trying to establish new identities. Including a lunatic that iced a couple strippers with an ice pick.

Don't waste your time.

What you are will always show through.

Why does everyone assume that you can get away with stuff in Alaska?

Believe it or not, they have computers and police up there, too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the several years that I lived in Alaska, I ran into several people there that were trying to establish new identities. Including a lunatic that iced a couple strippers with an ice pick.

Don't waste your time.

not seeking new identity or running from the law. Suppose I'm just fed up with society? No forge documents, just no documents at all. Live like an 18th century mountain man.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You're still going to have to buy clothes, probably see a doctor and most assuredly buy ammo and need a gunsmith, along with other things I'm probably not thinking of off the top of my head. Can you do any/all of those things without money and/or an ID?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Marry a she bear and have some cubs in a cave.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
i doubt you could live like " an 18th century mountian man" even if you wanted to.  Total isolation would be very rough on a person who is use to everyday live in normal society.  JMO

J
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You mean like die?

I think the IRS will always want to keep tabs on you.

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't waste your time.

not seeking new identity or running from the law. Suppose I'm just fed up with society? No forge documents, just no documents at all. Live like an 18th century mountain man.

And "disappear" you will.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Disappear

Main Entry: dis·ap·pear
Pronunciation: "di-s&-'pir
Function: verb
intransitive senses
1 : to pass from view
2 : to cease to be : pass out of existence or notice
transitive senses : to cause the disappearance of
- dis·ap·pear·ance  /-'pir-&n(t)s/ noun

Does the letter "P" have the right to disappear though?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
do US citizens have the right to "disapear"? Suppose I choose to leave society and head for the hills. Can I live in peace withouth an ID, papers on public land and not pay taxes? build my own dwelling and hunt for my chow?

...alaska's probably the only place left in the county to disapear.

Legally, probably not.  First, you cannot just "live" on public lands, unless you have a lease or have staked a claim (both which require an identity).

Hunting in every state requires a hunting license and sometimes tags (again requiring identity).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#15]
At the risk of having the whole forum call BS, I lived in a tipi for the 1st 14 months I got out of the service. Doing shit like this in the 70s was not really common, but not unheard of, either. Remember, there was a lot of 'tune in, turn on, drop out' going around back then.

Live like an 18th mountain man?

I suppose you could,for a while, but eventually you'll need something.

You'll run out of ammo, brass, lose a tool, something.

For a lot of the 14 months I was attending college and had an income, the old GI bill.

Still, I got a pretty good taste of it, the winter was a cold one, too. Minus 40 some nights. Waugh!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top