Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/17/2003 8:50:49 AM EDT
I'm posting this so I won't high jack the other thread.

I don't have Direct TV but I do have Cable.(Comcast)
Several years ago Comcast got all these new channels and I called them and got the complete package. Everything they had available I had it. Well after a few months I decided most of it was a bunch of BS that I never watched, so I called and told them to put me back to what I had before. They stopped charging me for it but never cut my service back. I still get everything, but I've only been paying for the expanded basic service for almost 3 years now.My wife even called them again and told them about it and they still did nothing. My question is would they still consider me to be stealing there service even after I have called them twice about it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:53:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By einnor1040:

Several years ago Comcast got all these new channels and I called them and got the complete package. Everything they had available I had it. Well after a few months I decided most of it was a bunch of BS that I never watched, so I called and told them to put me back to what I had before. They stopped charging me for it but never cut my service back. I still get everything, but I've only been paying for the expanded basic service for almost 3 years now.My wife even called them again and told them about it and they still did nothing. My question is would they still consider me to be stealing there service even after I have called them twice about it?

I canceled cable service completely and they didnt turn it off for six months. Not like I was going to call and complain.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:56:52 AM EDT
You were peekin' at the forbidden channels?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:09:32 AM EDT
No, since you are not taking any action to obtain the signal...

If you had tinkered with something to keep it, that would be illegal...

If they're too stupid to turn it off, that's not your fault...
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:11:57 AM EDT
Agreed. You have made several good-faith efforts to get them to stop this, and THEY have failed, sic., they are giving it to you. Not stealing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:12:29 AM EDT
No. The ball's in their court. You did the right thing and you aren't actively trying to "outsmart" the company etc.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:06:33 AM EDT
You are good to go, they are just behind on their disconnects. Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:21:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 10:23:48 AM EDT by Dolomite]

Originally Posted By Scottman:
You did the right thing and you aren't actively trying to "outsmart" the company etc.

Yes, well that’s somewhat true… but he’s also not doing everything in his power to stop them.

Are the courts going to say that a couple of phone calls is enough? Has he sent them any letters via registered mail confessing that he’s receiving television programs he didn’t pay for? Has he removed the box and taken it into the cable company’s service office? etc, etc.

That’s what the truly moral people on the other post would do. Right? Thank God for lawyers fightin' for the rights of the little guy because I sure don’t have all the answers to these questions.

Even if he’s just once accidentally held down the “^” button on his remote control too long he may have briefly scanned past a Don King produced boxing program on HBO. That makes him a criminal in the eyes of many on this board. What right does he have to snatch food out of the mouths of Don King’s children?

Yep – by all accounts I wouldn’t be surprised if someone here hasn’t already turned you in to the appropriate authorities yet. (cuz, ya know, once we start turning in our friends and neighbors – the entertainment companies are going to reward us for our morality loyalty)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:23:05 AM EDT
I would make sure to have documentation of the phone calls made informing them of continued service. Just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:46:42 AM EDT
I know a guy who received free internet access for about two years. Heck, he might still be getting it free. He signed up and they never sent him a bill. He emailed, sent letters and even called them several times. They said they would get it fixed. They never did.

Too bad it was only 56k dial-up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 12:03:22 PM EDT by cluster]

Originally Posted By Guess:
I know a guy who received free internet access for about two years. Heck, he might still be getting it free. He signed up and they never sent him a bill. He emailed, sent letters and even called them several times. They said they would get it fixed. They never did.

Too bad it was only 56k dial-up.

hey me too!

was it MSN ?
I tried them for a month then found a cheaper service... < hell still on it now..>

I called to cancel but they kept saying we will give x amounts of months free..blah ..blah .. blah.. said no thanks I simply wanna cancel and not worry about canceling in x months.. they said ok & stopped charging my card..

this was OVER 3 years ago.. I can still log in thru msn..

Am I a thief?

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:58:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By einnor1040:

I used to have Comcast cable and I switched to Dish Network. I went down to the Comcast office in order to cancel my service. While I was there the customer service rep. told me that in order to cancel I HAD to appear in person at their office in order to do so, that I could NOT do it over the phone. Now, maybe that was just this particular location, maybe it was bs or maybe it was because I was cancelling my entire service, I don't know. I had had several bad dealings with them over the years and wanted to make DAMN sure I never got another bill from them again. So far after 2 years, nothing. I would go down to their office and make sure. A friend of mine got a bad credit report response from them and it was THEIR fault. And it was only after threatening to sue them that they corrected their mistake. I hate comcast.
Top Top