[img]http://www.ussmissouri.com/images/SurrenderPic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
[USA]

Shipmates I never knew,from a differnt era
and you will never be forgotten

Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, considering it's not even December 7th in this timezone yet, I'm kinda surprised (especially this quickly after the site came back up) that this thread popped up so soon.

Nonetheless:
[usa]
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
[usa] I lost family also.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I was lucky enough to visit the Arizona and Missouri this year.  So much history.  They had divers there when we visited.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was lucky enough to visit the Arizona and Missouri this year.  So much history.  They had divers there when we visited.
View Quote

I was lucky enough to go this year as well. It is truly an amazing sight to see......

Rob
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I visited the Missouri when it was anchored in Long Beach, CA harbor a few years back. I took my mom & dad, and my family. I've got a lot of pictures that I will show my children when they are adults.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I say we bomb the japs again just for good measure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
A good day for all you guys to go out and wash your Toyota's and Honda's.

BTW, since it's almost Christmas don't forget to slip the out of work street person a coin or two.

Did you know what country was Japans largest trading pardner just before Pearl Harbor?  

"How soon we forget."

Hell, half the sheeple have forgotten 9/11 already.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[LOL]
View Quote

My reaction as well.

In all honesty, though, I think two nukes in '45 did the trick.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A good day for all you guys to go out and wash your Toyota's and Honda's.

BTW, since it's almost Christmas don't forget to slip the out of work street person a coin or two.
View Quote

IIRC, most "Jap" cars, trucks, and motorcycles that are purchased in America [b]are made right here in America by American workers.[/b]
Hell, half the sheeple have forgotten 9/11 already.
View Quote

Sad, but true.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IIRC, most "Jap" cars, trucks, and motorcycles that are purchased in America [b]are made right here in America by American workers.[/b]
View Quote

I dont know what prcentage makes up a most, but I am sure 'most' of the yen profits go straight to Japan! [;)]

Like he said, wash 'em if you got 'em.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I spent almost two years at and around Pearl Harbor back in the late 60s while in the Navy  and been by the Arizona Memorial countless times.  But I'm ashamed to say that I never visited it.  I really regret it now.  Guess I was young and stupid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, most "Jap" cars, trucks, and motorcycles that are purchased in America are made right here in America by American workers.
View Quote

They are [b]assembeled[/b] here with what used to be, on average, 99% imported parts(1980's?). Because of this, auto mfg's have been required to report the country of origin for major components for a number of years. This was a resut of the discovery that these imported shitboxes billed as "American Made" typically used no more than US made rings & bearings.

I don't doubt that foreign mfg's have increased their use of actual US made parts on domestic assemblies but my money says they still profit more than we do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#16]
[b]GOD BLESS AMERICA[/b]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]
1. If the Japs own the company, why [i]shouldn't[/i]  the profits go back to Japan?

2. Thousands of Americans are working in "Jap" auto and motorcycle plants across America. Some of the most notable are in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

3. I'd rather have Americans assemble Jap cars in America than have Japs do it in Japan.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Let's not hijack this thread.  

Instead remember the fallen.

[img]http://www.grunts.net/album/pearl/pearl8.gif[/img]

[USA]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#19]
My Uncle was a Navy radioman, with a team that was stranded on a Jap held island, for two years. The natives hid them. My uncle saved the chiefs son's life, and they made him honorary chief, and witch doctor. Gave him the canes, and everything!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
For two years my sub was parked where the Pennsylvania was docked, and our barge sat right where teh Cassin and Downs are at in that pic.

I thought of that day every day I went to work.  

There is still alot of infrastructure at PH that dates back to 12/7/41.  Kinda eerie looking at it in pics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#21]
You know it's a bit funny.  My family has always made Dec.7 our Christmas tree day.  We always set the tree up and say a short prayer for those who died in WWII and didn't make Christmas.  Yet over the years, it lost it's meaning to most and the media at times barely mentioned it.

This year it's on the tip of everyones tongue.

My tree goes up today in honor of those who served and paid the ultimate sacrafice. I'd raise my flag but then do that everyday anyway.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
In memory of our fallen brothers.

" Blue of the Seven Seas; Gold of God's great sun
Let these our colors be Till all of time be done,
By Severn shore we learn Navy's stern call:
Faith, courage, service true With honor over, honor over all."

[img]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_031130-N-3653A-002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#23]
[usa]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#24]
[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/Memorial.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#25]
A few years ago, I arranged a vacation in Hawaii so that my friends and I were on the first boat out to the USS Arizona on Memorial Day. They also had the miniature traveling Vietnam memorial wall there.

I was amazed by how many Japanese people were there on Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_031130-N-3653A-002.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Is this where the Blue and Gold Teams get there names?
Cool post, Sir.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_031130-N-3653A-002.jpg[/url]
View Quote

[red]Is this where the Blue and Gold Teams get there names?[/red]
Cool post, Sir.
Thank you.
View Quote

I really have no idea about your question Busmaster007, but I'll find out for you if you want.

I was lucky enough to be in a fleet exercise once with Canadian, Australian and Japanese Navies(sp?), all of whom met in Hawaii. My ship manned the rails and we got a chance to watch a Japanese submarine and her crew pass the Arizona Memorial on the way to dock in Pearl. The Japanese crew saluted the memorial (as did we and all the other foreign ships). Out of respect for sure,  but I wanted to believe that there was some shame as well in the memory of that "day that will live in infamy."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top