Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 12:55:55 PM EDT
Is it inexpensive to convert the neccessary parts for a DPMS to take cheap ammo?
What pars do I need?
How is it done?
Is it ore cost effective to buy another type of rifle?
Any other concerns on DPMS AR's?  barrels, performance, need to much TLC?

Any feedback appreciated,

Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Que?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm confused.  Do you mean to allow your rifle to shoot surplus ammo?  It should be able to do that already, providing you have a 5.56mm chamber.  If so, shoot away.  If you have a .223 chamber, you should stick to .223 loads.  For a quick ammo course, please see here.  Which model DPMS do you have?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he is asking if DPMS quality is such that it wont shoot any of the cheaper ammo. If DPMS is a quality ar it should shoot everything you feed it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been told by DPMS and dealers dont use cheap ammo ( Wolf, S&B ) something to do with the firing pin I beleive, saying it damages the rifle and the pin will not reach?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
DPMS says their military configuration barrels are 5.56 Nato and the bull barrels are .223.  The oracle states to not fire 5.56 ammo  in .223 chambers.

Win. Q3131A is about .19 a round by the 1000.  I wouldn't shoot lacquered steel case ammo but YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If your chamber is not chrome lined you can run a finish reamer in the chamber, then install a wolff extra power extractor spring.  Its should function with anything after that.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a DPMS 16Lite and the instructions with it basically warn you away from some  foreign military and foreign produced ammo. (Wolf, PMP, PMC, etc.)

I shot some South African ammo through mine and had no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top