Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 3:35:46 PM EDT
My wife is so far gone in credit card debt, that she can hardly make the monthly payments.  Does anyone know where she can can get some help.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If she has anything for collateral, go to a bank and make a loan and pay it off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Look into the Consumer Credit Counseling service.  There is a link on Clark Howard's Page.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, the first thing you need to do is cut up the card. Then get a consolidation loan form the bank, use your car or whatever as collateral. Or you can call the card issuer and try to get a payment schedule done. But I think the first option is the best.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If she has anything for collateral, go to a bank and make a loan and pay it off.

Not always (always) a good idea. Most credit card debt is unsecured debt unless the card was issued on an equity account like a second mortgage. Unsecured debt is MUCH more flexible to negotiation. Loan officers are always looking for a way to improve their secured position. If they have any collateral, they have you by the balls. If they have no security, they will often be much more open to polite discussions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Get rid of the card; then go from there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
How much are we talking and whats her income and expenses? Does she have any jewelry and such she can sell off.

And cut up the cards, seriously, she can't handle them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
dave ramsey
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, the first thing you need to do is cut up the card. Then get a consolidation loan form the bank, use your car or whatever as collateral. Or you can call the card issuer and try to get a payment schedule done. But I think the first option is the best.

nice Eddie avatar. sorry for being off topic
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Ummmmmmmmmmm.........she's your wife.  Doesn't that mean that that you kind of have a debt problem too?  What's the rules?  Can the CC company come after your joint assets?  Or will her credit just go down in flames and not touch yours?  Can she declare bankruptcy and not affect your joint assets?  

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dave ramsey

Total Money Makeover

Getting into debt is a problem, it's an attitude.  That attitude needs to change.  

I had/have a similar problem, but I am making headway.   My attitude about my finances and credit cards have changed.  Your wife needs to have that change, too.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The Credit cards are gone and has been gone for awhile.  She has used credit cards to pay off other card.  Citi Financial is the only problem right now.  Her interest rate is $175.00 a month b/c she has let the card go to hell without paying it.  If they would stop the interest rate then she could catch help on the payments.  They have even charged off the account but, they are still making her pay.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
uh, maybe quit spending so much money?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Have her get a Matricula Consular Card (mexican id)with a new name. "Maria Gonzalez" should work pretty good.

If they don't want to keep 20+ million illegal immigrants out....might as well be one eh?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Step one - stop charging stuff
Step two - put as much money toward the bills every month as you can.

If you have multiple cards, start with the one that has the highest balance...put the bulk of your available funds toward that one and chip away at the others.
When that one is paid off, go for the next highest balance card. This way you are aiming straight for the cards causing you the most interest cost.

Also, if the credit rating isnt already too screwed up....apply for a card with a very high limit and try to transfer the debt from multiple cards to one....so that you are dealing with one bill and one balance. Sometimes ths can help a lot.

Also, take a look at what she bought....sell off whatever is laying around that is worth money. Just keep going after the highest balances and in time you will make a dent. It may take time....but eventually she will be clear.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So, you recommend taking out a loan to get out of debt?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you recommend taking out a loan to get out of debt?  

Not much into finantial stuff, are you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
< $15000 Consumer Credit Counseling

> $15000

Stop paying the bills, after about 3 months, *MUST BE BEFORE IT GOES TO COLLECTION COMPANY* the CC Company will want to "Settle".

Offer 1/3 what is owed and stick with this amount, the CC Company will say OK.
This means you will have to have 1/3 of what you owe when they agree to "Settle".

Before all the FLAMING this is the last resort, before loosing everything you own. ALSO the Person who has their SS Number on the card will have their CREDIT trashed, which, may be a good thing (They will not get in this trouble again).

This will work with most unsecured dept, any amount, $500 or $100000. But it may not be the best way to go.

Another downside to this is, You WILL have to pay Federal and State income taxes on the dept that was erased.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd assume, that unfortunately, none of this debt went into any type of asset, just consumed crap that can't be liquidated to repay the debt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top