Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 3:29:57 PM EDT
So, I keep hearing about a movie on here, and figure I should see it and see if it will make it into my collection or not. I Download it with Bittorrent and watch it last night, find out I hate it, and will never own it (though the gunfights were alright sometimes)

Today i get an Email from my ISP saying someone complained I had violated Copyright doing so (not according to the Written Canadian Law, but whatever.

Is this just the MPAA being a bunch of whiny bitches?  Maybe they are mad that I now know I will not buy the movie because of suckage, and they are pissed that my sampling has kept me from buying (yet another of) their lemon(s)

BTW, the movie was Collateral, I truly did not like it
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
you got a dmca letter..  I have no clue how it works in Canada, but here you only get them for distributing the movie.  *hint*    They have to completely get the entire image from you to determine you were distributing the said movie.

If you were using bit torrent, it is not likely the entire movie came from you..   Perhaps check out trackerless bit torrents.   A few years ago the easy answer was to use a program to limit your upload to a minimal amount,  but now it would greatly affect your d/l speed as well.

ETA,, yes MPAA, and RIAA are a bunch of whiney bitches.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, what does DMCA mean?  Is it a sort of cease and desist?  If they tag me so often then they are going to try and get me in trouble?

As the Law is written in Canada it is not Copyright infringement unless the complete object is distributed (don't know how that fits in with the wording at the beginning of movies, there was no warning on the movie I Downloaded, and well, it really sucked, only good part was the alley shootout and club shootout)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My ISP has not complained. My SafePeer plugin blocks ~70% of all ip ranges. Wont drop my download speed much but deffinetly keeps pesky Copyright Cartels off my ass.

And downloading is not illigal. Its shareing. And i NEVER, EVER SENT A SINGLE BITE OF THAT MOVIE, PROVE ME WRONG ...etc .

To bad my ISP is required to store all my ip traffic for 2 years. And the cops can legally snoop around without a warrant(They can call my ISP and ask for my Name/Address by my IP). Police states are depressing to live under.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Send them a note saying that you only needed a short clip from the film for an "education" piece you are working on, and that you deleted the full film after you made the clip.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Are those common? Maybe it's a spoof?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My ISP has not complained. My SafePeer plugin blocks ~70% of all ip ranges.

+1 on the SafePeer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
taggage
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Send them an email telling them that you are sueing them for the time you wasted watching that piece of crap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
well, I don't have the actual letter, only the pertinent information forwarded by my ISP

Where do I get the list of IPs to block with Azaerius Safe Peer? or are the Defaults more than good enough?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]

TECHNCIALLY (at least under U.S. copyright law - don't know how similar the laws are in canucistan), you stole the movie when you downloaded it and watched it without paying for it.

The fact that you didn't like it, would not have paid money to watch it, later deleted it, etc - has no bearing on the fact that you "took it" without paying for it.   Technically, you broke copyright law - and they COULD come after you if they wanted (and had actual evidence that you downloaded the entire movie).

However, if you did not distribute it (i,e allow others to upload it from you), I find it highly unlikely that they will come after you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, what does DMCA mean?  Is it a sort of cease and desist?  If they tag me so often then they are going to try and get me in trouble?

As the Law is written in Canada it is not Copyright infringement unless the complete object is distributed (don't know how that fits in with the wording at the beginning of movies, there was no warning on the movie I Downloaded, and well, it really sucked, only good part was the alley shootout and club shootout)

I don't think Canada has a law named (abbrv) D.M.C.A., but they might have one soon witht he same provisions.

Its like the gun control act of 1968 (It accomplishs nothing), but it pertains to information on how to do things with regards to copyright with electonic communiction/storage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top