Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:01:17 AM EST
I have an exterior block wall I want to put a garage door in. Its the end wall of the building.
If I cut a hole for the opening do us a steel I beam for the header or do they make concrete
headers that big. How much do the I beams/Concrete headers usually cost. I think the building is using trusses
and they are resting on the other outside walls.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:13:57 AM EST
I have used 4x4/6x6 steel lintels to support the opening. You can have a welder mount studs to these so that you can anchor a 2x8 (for trim and mounting purposes).

Use 2x8's for the legs (used to help support the header 2x8) and roto-hammer these into the block, anchors as needed. You may want to cut the hole wide enough
to use two pieces of wood all the way around ( this helps to hide the anchors).

Get the dimensions of the new garage door and cut new whole.
If you cut the legs and header alot of times you can just push and or pull the wall down. This is the fun part but it makes a hell of a mess.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:42:23 AM EST
Aproximately how many rows of cinderblock will be left above the opening after the cut is made?

If the answer is one or two, it might be easier and safer to remove the cinderblock all the way up and then install a proper sized (wooden) header with framing above it to support the roof.

Hard to answer this question without standing there looking at the building inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:52:19 AM EST
Thats a great idea. I'm going down tonight to look at it but I think it is only like 5 courses.
I think framing it in would be a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:57:10 AM EST
Since building codes still arent standard nationwide you might want to consult your local codes. Nothing like guessing your doing it right to them even though it would hold up to a nuclear blast only to have it not pass. Although with a garage, if no ones going to live in it you have some leeway to get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:08:54 AM EST
Check building codes and be careful of load bearing walls. You can usually get a piece of I-beam cheap from construction site or scrap yard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:46 AM EST
Its for a bar not a garage so I will be sure to have it cheked out. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:14:44 PM EST
I just did this, but for a 36" door. To give you an idea on price...I bought a concrete lintel (54"x8"x8") from my local Cemex plant for $48.00. It weighs about 110 pounds...so one for a garage might require a few buddies to lift it in place, maybe even a small crane to play it safe depending on how big your opening is. Do not forget to cut an extra inch around all sides of you opening for the lintel, for morter and wiggle room. I used jacks with rebar to support the top portion of the wall while you cut the hole and get the lintel in. Dril holes comletely through the wall...insert short sectionf of 5/8" rebar....you can support several rebar on one side with a 4x4 underneath horizontally and parallel to the wall, with a screw jack on each end. Use a hammer drill and good bit for drilling the holes. You can patch them later with morter. Make sure you have cleared out any plumbing or electrical in the area of the wall to be cut. A 2x6 can also be nailed across your roof trusses for extra insurance to support the load. Do yourself a favor and use a diamond chain concrete saw for your cutting...you will thank me later. They have them at most equipment rental shops now.
Top Top