Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 10:56:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2006 10:57:18 AM EDT by CasualObserver]
I suddenly find myself with some reading time on my hands, and would like to learn a thing or two about the U.S. Constitution and constitutional history.

So, could you learned gentlemen recommend a few good texts beyond the Constitution and the Federalist Papers?

Thanks in advance,

CO
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT by wise_jake]
The Antifederalist Papers.

ETA: link
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:09:58 AM EDT
These I have not read, but are available in our university library:

The taxing power : a reference guide to the United States Constitution / Jensen, Erik M. (2005)

Righteous anger at the wicked states : the meaning of the founders’ Constitution /
Johnson, Calvin H. (2005)

How progressives rewrote the Constitution / Epstein, Richard A. (2006) <note: pretty obvious slant, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't read it>

The constitution in exile : how the federal government has seized power by rewriting the supreme law of the land / Napolitano, Andrew P. (2006) <note: same as above>

A companion to the United States Constitution and its amendments / Vile, John R. (2006)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:17:01 AM EDT
These I have read (or, in the case of the latter, portions thereof):

Summaries of leading cases on the Constitution / Paul C. Bartholomew, Joseph F. Menez (1990).

Encyclopedia of the American Constitution / edited by Leonard W. Levy and Kenneth L. Karst (2000). <note: in six volumes>
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:57:56 AM EDT
Thanks, Jake. I'll look into what's available in the library here in town. I've become so enamored of cyberspace, I sometimes forget about those big brick buildings full of books. Doh...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:44:43 AM EDT
No problem. The above link I gave you for the Antifed Papers is an excellent [electronic] resource. Here is the [direct] link to their document library:

PatriotPost.us Document Library

Things like the Code of Hammurabi, Articles of Confederation, Constitution (+BoR), Washington's Farewell Address (which contains one of my Top 10 Favorite Quotes), Davy Crockett's "Not Yours To Give."

I also encourage/entreat you to read all the documents in the final section: "Historic Commentary."

Be you well.
Top Top