Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:43 PM EDT
The more and more I hear about gun confiscation and losing things on boating trips and shit, I keep on wondering about a certain law I thought existed:
EX POST FACTO
A law that makes illegal an act that was legal when committed, increases the penalties for an infraction after it has been committed, or changes the rules of evidence to make conviction easier. The Constitution prohibits the making of ex post facto law.

"The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. Edited by E.D. Hirsch, Jr., Joseph F. Kett, and James Trefil. Copyright © 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved."

Doesnt that mean that since you owned the firearms legally before the law was made that they couldnt take them away, since it was legal to own when they were purchased? It seems to fall under ex post facto to confiscate guns that were legally owned before made illegal. YOUR THOUGHTS!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. All it means is that they cannot prosecute you for owning X before X was banned. If however, you continue to own X after X has been banned then you can be prosecuted.

Example:

The government outlaws blenders and requires that all blenders be turned in to the government by 2/1/2006. On 2/7/2006 the local SWAT team kicks in your door while you are making yourself a milkshake. You're toast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that sucks ass. I need to go on a damn boating trip...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nope. All it means is that they cannot prosecute you for owning X before X was banned. If however, you continue to own X after X has been banned then you can be prosecuted.

Example:

The government outlaws blenders and requires that all blenders be turned in to the government by 2/1/2006. On 2/7/2006 the local SWAT team kicks in your door while you are making yourself a milkshake. You're toast.

You're analogy cracked me up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
THEY can do whatever they want.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My toaster fucking sucks. They can take it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a preban blender.. Sharp blades, all the evil speed switches AND a glass container... Am I cool?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, spoons are better anyways.  I never really liked blenders in the first place.  Spoons are more reliable. They're cheaper too since they don't use electricity.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Boating trips...

Don't you people realize that governments rule by the consent of the governed?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boating trips...

Bahhahahahahah, funny shit.  Ton of sarcasm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boating trips...

Really...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top