Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 4:14:16 PM EDT
My nieghbor has a computer that MAY have a virus. I don't think she has been running AV software. So I was thinking can I network my notebook to her desktop and use my AV software to clear her machine then tell her to get AV software?

BTW No the nieghbor isn't HOT. She is an elderly woman.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My nieghbor has a computer that MAY have a virus. I don't think she has been running AV software. So I was thinking can I network my notebook to here desktop and use my AV software to clear her machine then tell her to get AV software?

Worth a try.

BTW No the nieghbor isn't HOT. She is an elderly woman.
Y'know, those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive and jointly exhaustive. Just ask Don Johnson!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that AV works over networks.  Most AVS, however, have a prescan that may be able to get it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is she able to access the internet?  If so just go to Lava Soft and download AVG.  It's free.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is she able to access the internet?  If so just go to Lava Soft and download AVG.  It's free.

+1
Get zonealarm firewall also it's free as well

If she cannot access web copy the install files for the software to a disc and install them on her pc
Althought I imagine she has web access to get a suspect virus in the first place

Cheers

Taffy

Also recomended minimum

Ad-aware
Spybot search and destroy
CW Shredder
Spywareblaster
Ewido security suite

all free from da web

ETA I'm no PC Gurru but to my elderly neighbours who's PC's I keep going i'm God.
They hate asking me but I enjoy helping them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. I think that whatever has messed up her 'puter has messed up her internet access also. I'm going over to see what I can do for her...Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Please don't say " 'puter ".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
tag for later
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
you are wasting your time, it can be don't but it will take FOREVER to scan.  and you have to know how to setup filesharing on the computer.  Not to mention alot of the system files are in use because the computer is in windows.  so they will not be scanned.. and you are risking infecting your computer with the virus, depending on what virus it is!

the only way to effectively scan the computer is to take the harddrive out and put it into another computer that has uptodate antivirus installed..   its is windows 98 you can use nod32 or f-prot's DOS scanner. but if you have never used it your in for a treat.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top