Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:05:46 PM EDT
I told some friends of mine that I would reinstall Windows on their computer (the spyware is killing them, it's an old install anyway).

They have a very long list of Contacts (Address Book? Whatever Outlook calls it).

I'm going to burn some of their files to CD so I could put them back after Windows is reinstalled. How do I save the entire list of Contacts/Addresses from Outlook?

BTW, this is Outlook, not Outlook Express.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:09:04 PM EDT
File>Import and Export.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:11:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
File>Import and Export.

After getting there, what do I choose?

I don't have Outlook installed on this computer so I can't look right now. When I was looking for it on their computer I went to Import/Export and found choices and I didn't know which one to pick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:22:04 PM EDT
File
Import & Export
Export to a file (or whatever else you want to do)
Comma separated values (or whatever file type you want)
Select the "Contacts" folder
Type a file name and select the location via the "Browse" button
Click "Finish"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:29:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
File
Import & Export
Click "Finish"

The parts in red are what I didn't know what to choose.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:39:31 PM EDT

File
Import & Export
Click "Finish"

Don't use comma seperated, it's buggy. Use pst, that's Outlook's native storage format.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:41:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DukeSnookems:

File
Import & Export
Click "Finish"

Don't use comma seperated, it's buggy. Use pst, that's Outlook's native storage format.

PST, alright, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:45:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oneSoneK:

File
Import & Export
Click "Finish"

PST, alright, thanks!

Actually, just to save yourself the trouble, find their old data file (unless it has viruses) and use it to replace the one in the new computer. That way everything (calendar, email, contacts, etc.. ) carries over. The default path is:

C:\Documents and Settings\**name**\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:47:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oneSoneK:

File
Import & Export
Click "Finish"

PST, alright, thanks!

Actually, just to save yourself the trouble, find their old data file (unless it has viruses) and use it to replace the one in the new computer. That way everything (calendar, email, contacts, etc.. ) carries over. The default path is:

C:\Documents and Settings\**name**\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

So all I have to do is save that file and put it in the same spot on the new install?

Even easier, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:09:13 PM EDT
Is that really correct? I thought each *.pst file was encoded/protected. You need to do something to retrieve the data.

P.S> - I have had ZERO trouble with CSV files. I think it's a lot more "portable" than Outlook format. Using the Outlook format is okay, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:13:47 PM EDT

Is that really correct? I thought each *.pst file was encoded/protected. You need to do something to retrieve the data.

P.S> - I have had ZERO trouble with CSV files. I think it's a lot more "portable" than Outlook format. Using the Outlook format is okay, too.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should do it all three ways just in case?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
I'm going to be doing it tomorrow so if anyone else has any ideas, let me know!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:33:54 PM EDT

You can set the exported pst files to be encrypted, probably the root one also, but it's worked every time I've migrated my data.

I've had some fields drop out with csv but never any problems with pst, ymmv.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:54:37 PM EDT

You can set the exported pst files to be encrypted, probably the root one also, but it's worked every time I've migrated my data.

When you export you get to/have to select which fields get exported. When you import you have to select which fields get imported. It is important the list of fields matches or the data may not hand off correctly. If it doesn't, you can always go back and correct your mistake (reimport).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:13:38 PM EDT

When you export you get to/have to select which fields get exported. When you import you have to select which fields get imported. It is important the list of fields matches or the data may not hand off correctly. If it doesn't, you can always go back and correct your mistake (reimport).

You don't select fields, you select categories when you export. Fields (Home number, Title, Contact type, etc..) have randomly dropped out on me with csv files. Outlook has a complicated data tree, anytime you try to convert it to another format, especially a flat format like csv, you are introducing opportunities for error. It's always better to stick with the data's native format when migrating data. Not saying it won't work some of the time, just that I've noticed some bugs in my experience.
Top Top