Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 3:30:25 AM EDT
What is the best anti virus protection you can get on the market now?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Norton, they (symantec) have a good firewall package also which you should use if you are using cable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I think most would say McAfee Viruscan still the best for personal use.

[url]http://www.mcafee.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had both and liked neither. Been using EZTrust from CAI. Used to be free. I think it's now $20 /yr IIRC. Non-intrusive and doesn't dig itself into the OS like a tick. Email advice of updates almost daily. WWW.CAI.COM
Product (free) from WWW.GRISOFT.COM also has a good reputation.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I got Norton and it screwed things up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Norton 2002 is the only way to go
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Norton, they (symantec) have a good firewall package also which you should use if you are using cable.
View Quote

Ditto, and keep it updated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a really good virus program that WON'T mess up your system (slowing, halting, spying, etc) check out [url=www.f-prot.com]F-PROT[/url]

The guy has a FREE DOS version (works under all windows versions) that is great for scanning on demand.

Has a Windows version ($25/year for free updates).

And has a LINUX version!

They guy is based in Iceland. So he see's Europian virus before they hit the US and vise versa. Keeps the virus definitions up to date.

I talked to this guy many, many years ago, before McAfee, Norton, and Symantec were even around. He really knows his stuff.

Sorry for the shameless plug. I don't work for him, just a VERY satisfied user. Check it out, what do you have to loose?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I talked to this guy many, many years ago, before McAfee, Norton, and Symantec were even around. He really knows his stuff.
View Quote

Are you sure about that? [:D]

McAfee ViruScan has been around since the 80s, and Norton Anti-Virus (owned by Symantec, btw--both Symantec and the Norton Branch have also been around since the 80s) first appeared in the very early 90s.

F-PROT hit the scene in about 1989.  It's younger than McAfee and only marginally older than NAV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
True, but I used to run a production lab in Fremont, and most of hte support calls I got were for virii.  One thing I found out - McAfee can't catch a damn cold without written instructions!  EVERY machine that came in with a nasty viral infection of whatever sort was running McAfee AV - and ALL were cleared up with NAV2.0 (could boot and run from floppy, and still get updates.  Also ran in its own DOS, so it was a sterile environment.)

Norton remains best in my book, followed by F-Prot (similar engine and detection but Norton still had the better interface and programming options,) followed by Dr. Solomon.  Anything (except McAfee!) is still better than nothing.

Another nice thing about Norton is the way everything integrates as you put is all together.  I am running NIS, NPF, NSW, and NAV - and they are all controlled from the same interface.  Also, they are all programmed to do their legendary thing without attention or interference from me, and KEEPS doing it week after week.  No complaints, and well worth the money I spent on it!

FFZ
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you sure about that? [:D]

McAfee ViruScan has been around since the 80s, and Norton Anti-Virus (owned by Symantec, btw--both Symantec and the Norton Branch have also been around since the 80s) first appeared in the very early 90s.

F-PROT hit the scene in about 1989.  It's younger than McAfee and only marginally older than NAV.
View Quote

Ok, Ok, Ok,    you caught me. [rolleyes] Damn, can't sneek anything passed this group [):)]

I still say that it is one of the better virus progies out there. It has kept me safe for 13 years now. Is that right?  2002 - 1989 = 13, yep. Damn, I have been using this software that that long and have never been infected on my home machine. WOW! How is that for a testimonial?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Abstinence.  I've gone without antivirus software on my own computers for over 10 years without infection.  OK, ZoneAlarm helps a bit at home, but I've never had a need or desire to open unsolicited executables or scripts.  I don't download questionable stuff from the internet either.

At work, I'm responsible for a dozen servers and about 70 PC's.  I can't count on all the users to understand what activities can be dangerous, so most of the machines are protected by McAfee.  I switch back & forth every couple of years when whichever one I'm using either falls behind in technology or the maker has an update that obsoletes the program as appears to be the case with McAfee right now.  Overall, McAfee has been the best, though.

I have to say that TrendMicro ScanMail does a [i]fantastic[/i] job of protecting the email server and has promptly halted several major outbreaks.  Their personal version is called PC-Cillin, but I haven't tried it myself yet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Symantec's firewall has some weaknesses (see [url]www.grc.com[/url]).  ZoneAlarm's basic version is free and provides very strong protection [url]www.zonealarm.com[/url]  YMMV.

Edited cuz I kant spel wirth a hewt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top