Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:17:38 AM EDT
My computer began acting like it had a virus mid last week. Everytime i would try to do anything on it I would get error messages(all kinds). Couldn't run ad-aware, spybot or Norton antivirus. Computer place said they thought it was a "hijacker" cleaned up some files, etc and 3 days later I get it back. Seemed ok at first but then when the Norton runs shortly after I got it home, it says is disabled and then same shit. I tried to run the ad-aware and spybot yesterday and did get them to run. Ad-aware picked up 3 bad files which I deleted and it seemed to work a little better last night but still can't get on the 'net or run Norton.
When I got it back from the shop and it screwed up again it had a CD in that had "trash" written on it. Interestingly, removing that seemed to be what allowed me to get into ad-aware and spybot.

Back in the shop today but does anyone have any advice?
Anyway to keep this from happening again?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
C:/>  format C:

Just kidding.

It does sound like a registry issue though.  I would try the restore point as stated above.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes, reformatting and reinstalling the programs will be the easiest thing to do.  Damn fuckers dont they have anyhting other to do then make computer viruses?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes, reformatting and reinstalling the programs will be the easiest thing to do.  Damn fuckers dont they have anyhting other to do then make computer viruses?

You'd sure think so!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Run the program HiJack this!.

Also, do not use IE.  Using IE is just askin for it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can get on the internet, try downloading webroot spysweeper.  Best thing out there I have found yet for getting rid of unwanted trash.  But if you are running XP, do like they said and restore to a point about 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
AVG.  I downloaded the trial version and it cleaned up several viruses and a bunch of spyware that my NortonIS missed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you can get on the internet, try downloading webroot spysweeper.  Best thing out there I have found yet for getting rid of unwanted trash.  But if you are running XP, do like they said and restore to a point about 3 weeks ago.

Running Windows ME.

Was told that there was nothing out there that would stop this and that the next Norton edition would be able to handle it. Arrggh. Haven't been here in days...withdrawal was setting in....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are using XP,  have you downloaded Service pack II from the microsoft website?  I had a virus that nothing could eliminate. Virus software, Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Doctor.  I downloaded Ser.Pk II and it got rid of it.  Hope you have high speed connection , though.  It is a huge program to download.  It took me 40 min. to download,configure and restart my computer w/ HiSpd service.  I understand that it takes a few hours to do with a phone line.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
First Windows ME sucks but you knew that right?

I thought that ME had restore points too.

I'll do work on Solaris, Linux, Windows 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000, XP Home, XP Professional, Mac OS 9 and 10 but not on Windows ME. A guy's got to have some sort of standards.

LOL Paul!
Sounds like a good time for a change, I guess. I'm not as computer savvy as some of you here obviously but I do know that ME sux.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top