Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:23:31 AM EDT
My DVD-RW drive is not working. It has power, and you can load and unload discs, but when it loads a disc nothing happens.

I have checked to the Device Manager and it says that the drive is functioning properly. To be sure, I unistalled the device then reinstalled the drivers. Still no dice.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My DVD-RW drive is not working. It has power, and you can load and unload discs, but when it loads a disc nothing happens.

I have checked to the Device Manager and it says that the drive is functioning properly. To be sure, I unistalled the device then reinstalled the drivers. Still no dice.

Any ideas?

Open the case and reseat the cable and try it that might clear up the problem. If not the try the drive on the other IDE channel if it still does not work it is likely gone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang. I hate opening the machine up. So many cables to unplug from the back, then plug back in. I will give that a try though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried cleaning it lately?
Computer cases with fans that blow out tend to suck dust in through all the cracks. Run a brush-style cleaning CD in it and then blow some canned air in there....

-And if it still doesn't work, don't feel too bad. You can get DVD-RW drives online OEM for only $40 now.
~
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
does anything happen when you double-click the drive under explorer? your autoplay may be the issue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Had this same thing happen to me a while back. had to replce the Ribbon with a new one and it worked fine for a bit...then it just died...not much help but just make sure everything is in good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have you tried cleaning it lately?
Computer cases with fans that blow out tend to suck dust in through all the cracks. Run a brush-style cleaning CD in it and then blow some canned air in there....

-And if it still doesn't work, don't feel too bad. You can get DVD-RW drives online OEM for only $40 now.
~

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top