Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:32:39 AM EDT
My Dell has a paltry 128 of RAM.. How easy is it for me to upgrade it.. What do I need to do?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#1]
First, you need to determine what kind of ram you have, so you know what kind to get.

Run this program, called cpu-z.  When you run it, click on the memory tab, and it will tell  you what kind of memory you are running.  You want to buy something similar to that.

www.cpuid.org/download/cpu-z-130.zip

For example, if you are running PC2100 DDR, then you want to buy at least the same.  You can buy PC3200 or something much higher if you want and if the price is right, it will just underclock itself to PC2100 levels.

You could also have SDR ram, or SD-RAM.  That is not compatible with DDR of any kind.

Anyways, when you know what type of ram you have, go on over to Newegg or some other store (newegg is as good as it gets, they are the best) and order you some more ram.

You also might want to see how many RAM slots you have open in your computer also, before ordering.

Its not that hard to put new ram in, there are plenty of guides with pics floating around the net.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
www.crucial.com

Follow the yellow brick road... it will tell you what you need to order.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.crucial.com

+1  

just type in your model number and your guaranteed the right ram
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Its easy as pie. I upgraded my ram when I was 10.

BUth then agian, I built my own computer at 14

Just make sure you get the right kind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.crucial.com

Cool.. That is just the help I need..
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just be aware that static discharge can destroy the RAM. Once you've opened the computer up leave the power OFF but leave the power cord plugged into the wall to ground the chasis. Keep the RAM chips inside their gray plastic bag which is really a protective measure. Once you're at the computer touch the chassis with one hand, then open the bag, touch the chassis again and use the other hand to put the RAM into the slot - note the tooth - the thing only goes in one way. It should drop right into place with very little force required.

THE ABOVE IS ALMOST PERFECT

If your power supply has a switch ( on the back ) turn it off. - hold in the start button for a few seconds to drain the capacitors. ( your CPU fan may turn a few times... ) Leave the power cord connected to ground the chassis.

If your power supply does NOT have a switch, then you should unplug it, then hold the start button as above.

In both above I am not refering to the 110/220 voltage selection switch. Never toggle the Voltage selector switch with the power cord plugged in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top