Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
I had built a pc that worked for a week, now it won't post. what is the minimum parts to make it post. Im trying to eliminate whats causing it so I removed mobo from case along with power supply. used 1 stick of ram also have a video card inserted. pluged all power cables and monitor and a keybord. I was going to use the screwdriver on the PW swith pins on the mobo but after turning on the switch on the back of the power supply it powered on. Is it supposed to do that? I had neverhad this problem before and I have built plenty of stable computers in the past. Also first time trying the mobo out of the case thing. also no beeps. does that mean bad mobo. ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can POST with the following as a bare minimum:

mobo
power supply
video card
CPU
RAM (not sure about this one ... might be able to leave it out)

I've only built one PC but I was able to POST after installing all of the above.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Possible cracked MOBO. It doesn't happen to be an ASUS is it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It must have some ram.
edit
DDR ram is populated 4-3-2-1 if the ram on #4 goes bad it won't post.(had this happen)
CPU over heat, They burnout fast as in seconds. won't post.

if the CPU burns out no alert will sound. Bad ram I'm not sure if it will alert.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually it will alert if there's bad memory or something is wrong with the video card.  If you are getting no alerts at all check the mobo manual for what the possible scenarios are because it can vary by manufacturer. Most likely mobo/power supply/CPU issue.

Does the CPU fan spin when it is turned on?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
cpu fan does spin when turned on . if everything powers up should be a good psu? is it suppose to beep if the cpu is bad. Iknow i seated it pretty good. if I remove the cpu what should I look for to see if it is bad. thanks guys. what s a good way to see if mobo is bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you install the heatsink on the CPU yourself or was it already attached?  A bad installation can fry a CPU.  It can be difficult or impossible to really tell if the CPU is bad just by looking.

Try clearing the CMOS as per the manual, usually involves switching a jumper, disconnecting the mobo from the PS, letting it drain for a few seconds, and reconnecting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top