Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/29/2002 4:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2002 4:48:26 PM EDT by LARRYG]
The computer I am on right now has ME, which sucks and I have not been able to get 2000 or XP yet. Incidentally, could someone list the differences and pros and cons of 2000 and XP. The computer I am on right now keeps stopping exchanging info while I am on the internet, judging by the 'connected to' icon and bytes sent and recieved. I also keep getting messages upon restart, which I have to do frequesntly, saying it can't run wininit, brasil, and others because I have had to quarintine them due to different viruses, which Norton makes me aware of AFTER the damn fact. Is my only choice with all the files seemingly getting screwed up is to do a system restore. The last one I have, due to negligence on my part, is last December, but if that is what it takes to straighten this thing out, oh well. I am just wondering how much the missing or quarantined files are affecting my internet connections. Also, the new laptop I have (company provided) stopped letting me logon here and other sites yesterday. Is there something in 'internet tools' affecting that. I was messing around there, but can't find anything different from the desktop, doing a stare and compare. HHHEEELLLPPPP!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:01:38 PM EDT
prolly ought to give the guys more detail, kind of computer, processor etc....
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:07:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:08:37 PM EDT
i strongly prefer win2k over XP. but at your level of use i think XP might be friendlier. reformat your hard drive and reinstall the OS. http://www.grisoft.com - get their freeware antivirus software. norton IS a virus. as for the laptop, we need more info. or get your company tech to check it out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:15:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86: prolly ought to give the guys more detail, kind of computer, processor etc....
View Quote
Well, it's an HP Pavilion with Intel Celeron Processor at about 667 Mhz. I have Norton on all the time and it's supposed to be scanning anything going or coming. Trojan??? If it's on here, I am not aware of it. What the heck is that, other than a wooden horse, or a condom? I take it that it is something that has been placed clandestinely by someone else. This is a dialup and not on the network all the time. As for the logging on, the laptop is not infected and I can't log on here, or anywhere, with it. I could until yesterday. Is there some setting in 'internet tools' that pertains to that? This thing, the ME desktop, has let me stay on longer without locking up this session than it has in a while.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:28:01 PM EDT
You will get some info here[url]http://grc.com/intro.htm[/url] They have forums and you might ask there,lots of good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:34:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:34:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG: Trojan??? If it's on here, I am not aware of it. What the heck is that, other than a wooden horse, or a condom?
View Quote
The wooden horse story is what gave trojans (the computer kind) their name. You install some "useful" piece of software, and at the same time, a malicious piece of code installs itself, too. Kinda like the pretty wooden horse the citizens of Troy dragged within their city walls, not knowing it contained a bunch of meanies with pointed sticks ;)
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:01:49 AM EDT
I am leaning towards formatting the drive and loading either 2000 or XP. Do I run the risk of keeping the infection by copying My Documents and reloading it onto the drive after the new load.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:05:49 AM EDT
No, as long as you have antivirus program installed on the Win2K with the latest virus definitions. Just scan that My Document folder contents to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 12:54:43 PM EDT
Just my $.02: I just purchased three computers with the XP operating system. Every piece of Win 98 compatible software I have loaded has required a patch visit to the Windows Service Website. I've been through OS changes since 3.1, and this is undoubtedly the worst cluster f*ck I've ever seen. Changing all my OBL silhouettes to Bill Gates now. I'd stick with 98 for a while longer until Microsoft finishes the beta test on the public.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:29:17 PM EDT
It's called a Trojan horse, because once you get one, you've been SCREWED!!~!!
Top Top