Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:16:22 AM EDT
My normal daily routine at the end of my work day is to clean cache/temp files/history outta my work computer.  We have internet access and 99.9% of my internetting is ARF.com (jobrelatedstuff.com).   While we have no standing policies internet use, I do this as a courtesy to myself and my employer.   Lately when I've gone to the appropriate folders to delete / clean them out.......there are NO Contents in them?  It does appear in IE when I choose/pick history but nothing is visible or appears in the folders for history/temp internet files when going thru Windows XP.   Any idea whats going on here?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It could be that the save location has been changed...got some tin foil handy?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Changed to where?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Where exactly are you going to look for them?

c:\documents and settings\<your profile>\local settings\history    ?
c:\documents and settings\<your profile>\local settings\Temporary Internet Files ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Changed to where?

Here...Tools/Internet Options...

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Changed to where?

Somewhere you wan't find it and do what your doing. If someone saw you and complained then maybe the Sys Admins changed your cache to a different directory that you do not have access to. There's a number of things the Sys Admins could've done. Then again, maybe tin foil is your best option.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
ie could be  set to 0 for days to keep pages in history.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
OK checked :  Tools/ Internet Options / Settings and the location appears to be the regular path into :  C://Documents settings/User/Local Settings/Temp Internet or History.  When I use the option window to VIEW I can see them but they don't appear on the screen when I dig it up using explorer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno, hmmmmmmm.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Reboot?

Sorry, standard response...Do you close IE when you are looking for the files? Close IE, look for the files, open IE and see if they are still there? Is is possible that what you see in history is simply a place holder...prolly not. History is different than cached files and cookies.

Anyone?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
check to see if the folders are hidden!!

those are probably "system" files and you might not be able to delete(or possibly view) them in YOUR computer..  when i scan computers for virus those are the first folders i delete.  The harddrive is installed in a different computer though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top