Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2004 5:32:44 PM EDT
I was just wondering if anyone that was serving Combat Duty got a Dear John letter. I did 2and half weeks after I got to Nam. Made me really a pissed off bastard, hence the second tour and there would have been a third if not for the injuries. Oh yea we were gonna get married as soon as I got back to the world. Even had her listed as primary insurance recipient. Was I the only unlucky bastard
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't but I saw a few.  Remember how fathers who separated from their wives got turned in to the draft boards?

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I got divorce papers during DS1.

Better off now...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If it counts, my final divorce papers arrived while I was sitting in a foxhole during Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If it counts, my final divorce papers arrived while I was sitting in a foxhole during Desert Storm.

That Really Sucks the Bone! Sometimes women just piss me off
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The divorce went through in November of 90, but by the time the papers reached me after having gone to Germany and then Saudi, it was Jan of 91. One day earlier and they would not only have reached me in the foxhole, but on my b-day as well. Nothing like timing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I served in afghanistan with a guy who two weeks into our deployment called his new wife for the first time to find out she had just got done with an 8 man gang bang.  Poor bastard was in so much denial for about 2 months he said they were gonna work through it.  Then he finally woke up and got rid of the bitch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Never been in combat but I remember a situation where a young E-5 found out his best friend (also in the unit) was doing his wife. This was two weeks into a twelve week FTX. Don Juan found a way to stay in the rear and was taking full advantage of the situation. This E-5 was talking about going AWOL so he could straighen things out with his wife.

Top assigned four of us to 'keep his ass here' detail while he high tailed it back to home station. He had the MPs put Don Juan in jail pending formal charges and shipped the floozie back to the World, postage due.

The buck sergeant was pretty shook up. He got over it eventually but wasn't worth a shit for several weeks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Not in a combat zone but in Bosnia in 2000. Extended with another unit for a second rotation due to it. She was a bitch anyway...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]

I served in afghanistan with a guy who two weeks into our deployment called his new wife for the first time to find out she had just got done with an 8 man gang bang. Poor bastard was in so much denial for about 2 months he said they were gonna work through it. Then he finally woke up and got rid of the bitch.

Someone was in the 1-504.

I used to be myself.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy  on the USS JFK got a fake one from some of his "buddies" in his shop   he got so distraught he jumped off the Flight deck just off of  Baharain. We spent 3 days looking from him, found out the ship ran him over as it attempted to recover him and sucked into the salt water evap intakes.

Not combat related but in bootcamp had a guy get wedding pictures of his Fiance and the guy who was supposed to be there best man. The guy who slept in the bunk above me got a picture of his girlfriend going down on another guy along with his Dear John. He took the pic  wrote" Having fun at college Mom"  on the back and sent it to her mother.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope, you were not alone , I was in country about 2 months before I got mine, like you said it really pissed me off to, I looked at her letter for a long time then dug out her picture she had given me and burned it in my canteen cup then poured the ashes in a letter and sent it back to her with a note saying she could give the picture to her new hubby  and yes I also voluntered to be a slack man ,for one of the old timers and learned alot from him till he left country.  I tryed to extend my tour but was turned down,  I remember when I left,was setting in the doorway of a Huey and waving goodby to everyone in my platoon, Man that was one of the hardest things I have ever done    

Quoted:
I was just wondering if anyone that was serving Combat Duty got a Dear John letter. I did 2and half weeks after I got to Nam. Made me really a pissed off bastard, hence the second tour and there would have been a third if not for the injuries. Oh yea we were gonna get married as soon as I got back to the world. Even had her listed as primary insurance recipient. Was I the only unlucky bastard

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#13]
In DS1, our mail didn't catch up to us until we redeployed back to Saudi after the cease-fire. Seemed like 1/4 the married guys in our company had DJ letters waiting on them. Our Top got served with divorce papers when we reployed back to FRG.

Man could I tell some stories about what happens when one unit deploys and others stay behind.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't see this till now.  Was in "I" Corps in 69 too, when I got mine.  Her collage friends said it was immoral to write to me, sometimes it still hurts and pisses me off at the same time.  ps waiting for my membership check to clear.  semper fi  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry man I consider Bosnia a Combat Zone!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Not exactly on the subject, but still shows not to trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die.

One of my guy's psyco gf called our opposite crew while we were deployed to see if they could get maried while he was still at sea. When we got back two months later, he found that she had sold half of his stuff and spent everything in his checking account.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Got one in DS-1.  I was pretty pis*ed at first.  Got back home and also found that the bitc* had sold absolutely everything that I owned!  I was really pis*ed then!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top