Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 10:25:44 AM EDT
I recently form 1'd a Colt 6933 receiver that I bought used off gunbroker.  So, waited 3 months for the stamp approval I go to safety check the gun before the range and I realized that it is a large pin receiver.  I probably wasn't wearing my glasses when I put it together and did not notice the .016 of extra space.  So now I am bummed because I was really looking forward to putting this one through its paces.  Oh well, I can wait another week.  So I search the internets and find Brownells has actual Colt Large Pin Fire control groups for sale.  So I order one.  It takes a full week to get here, but I have it in hand now.  So last night I go to assemble it and the trigger goes in perfectly, but after fussing with the hammer I did a closer inspection and realized that the hammer hole is too small for .170 pin.  The pin fits the receiver fine, but it will not fit the hammer hole. I am not sure if it is a .154 hammer or if it is just bad manufacturing, but that pin aint going in.  So now I send an email to Brownells and get no response.  So this morning I call and it appears as though they are closed in observance of Independence Day.    Its Thursday 7-2-2015 and I am annoyed with my problems and jealous.

1.  Yes, I know, should have not bought a Colt, but I am apparently a label guy and couldn't resist.
2.  I want to work for a company that gives you Thursday and Friday off in honor of Independence Day that is celebrated on Saturday.
3.  From experience does anyone know how Brownells will handle this.  I don't need two .170 FCG's and would either like a proper hammer or would like to return this and buy something else today so I can have it by next weekend.
4. I did not want to spend $300 on a large pin Geiselle and am fine with mispec so does anyone have suggestions?

Colt has shorted my on parts in the LPK that I bought that was missing some springs but had extra springs that did not belong.  It is no wonder they can not turn a profit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the geiselle ...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy the geiselle ...
View Quote

Bam!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buy the geiselle ...
View Quote

And maybe a set of digital calipers (I like Mitotoyo) so you can actually figure out what's the wrong size.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a set of large pin FCG parts form Bushmaster years ago.  I never have used them, so I cant comment on how good they are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If you had a friend with a mill you could make the hole in the hammer...larger
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Buy the geiselle ...
View Quote
That's what I did when I upgraded an older Colt LE Carbine to my coyote rifle.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you had a friend with a mill you could make the hole in the hammer...larger
View Quote

Dont even need a mill.Just use a small file and file some test fit and repeat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a new in bag colt large pin fcg I could let go if that helps you, let me know. nm, reread your op.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, does your Colt lower also have the sear block? Most, if not all from what I remember, also have the sear block (those,with the LP trigger and hammer pins).

If so, you do know that not all carriers will work with the sear block.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, does your Colt lower also have the sear block? Most, if not all from what I remember, also have the sear block (those,with the LP trigger and hammer pins).

If so, you do know that not all carriers will work with the sear block.
View Quote

No sear block.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You must have bought an ancient 6933.. put the fucker on gunbroker and get rid of it if you haven't engraved it yet.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate all the suggestions.  I know, Geissele is sweet.  I have an SSA and like it a lot, but I don't want to spend $300 ahem, $280 for one right now.  I paid about $80 for this one and am expecting I will return it to Brownells for a refund or exchange.  I could file the hole, but I would prefer to have the correct part.  Just needed to vent and secretly hoped someone would pull a rabbit out of their hat. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You must have bought an ancient 6933.. put the fucker on gunbroker and get rid of it if you haven't engraved it yet.

View Quote

Too late.  But I thought Arfcom loved old colts? Actually, I like it.  It has a purple hue and the upper I bought matches it.  I will post some photo's later tonight.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Too late.  But I thought Arfcom loved old colts? Actually, I like it.  It has a purple hue and the upper I bought matches it.  I will post some photo's later tonight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love my Colts. I hate large pins, however.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I guess you missed the part about waiting for stamp aprovel.

Yes he could cancel out the form and start the process all over again. Personally I would not have done an oddball lower. I am not a roll stamp guy. If all the parts fit one lower is as good as another.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 So, waited 3 months for the stamp approval I go to safety check the gun before the range and I realized that it is a large pin receiver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 So, waited 3 months for the stamp approval I go to safety check the gun before the range and I realized that it is a large pin receiver.

http://coralspringstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DOH-Homer-350x196.jpg

That was definitely a "Doh!" moment.  I just noticed that Geissele is having a 15% off sale tomorrow storewide.  So, I could buy the SSA, which they have in stock, for $220.  Might have to do that and just return the Brownells Colt.  F*$k, this place always costs me more money.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That was definitely a "Doh!" moment.  I just noticed that Geissele is having a 15% off sale tomorrow storewide.  So, I could buy the SSA, which they have in stock, for $220.  Might have to do that and just return the Brownells Colt.  F*$k, this place always costs me more money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://coralspringstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DOH-Homer-350x196.jpg

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I guess you missed the part about waiting for stamp aprovel.   Yes he could cancel out the form and start the process all over again. Personally I would not have done an oddball lower. I am not a roll stamp guy. If all the parts fit one lower is as good as another.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you missed the part about waiting for stamp aprovel.   Yes he could cancel out the form and start the process all over again. Personally I would not have done an oddball lower. I am not a roll stamp guy. If all the parts fit one lower is as good as another.

No I didn't miss the "aprovel". I don't see how that factors into anything I said. Cancel the F1 and sell the gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top