Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/18/2002 6:11:55 PM EDT
OK, I am going back to school after a 13 year hiatus. Considering becoming a Nurse or some sort of medical field. I am taking one class right now as a pre-req - Anatomy and Physiology. So I go to the bookstore and one of the 2 required books (and there are 3 recommended ones)is $120! Edition 5 of Human Anatomy and Physiology by Marieb. Published in 2001. Yet I found the 4th edition used online for $6 - and it was published in 1998. My question is, just how much of a difference do you think there would be between these editions? I wonder if I could get away with having the 4th edition versus the 5th edition. I am looking at having to spend more damn money for the books than the class itself! Any thoughts, guys?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2002 6:23:17 PM EDT by More_Cowbell]
College texts are a racket all right. Buy the 4th. ed. Has the human anatomy or our understanding of it radically changed in 4 years? OR....... If you have access to an employer's photocopier and paper, buy the 5th Ed., photocopy it and put it in a 3-ring binder, bring the text to a record store and give the clerk $5 to shrink-wrap it, then return it for a full refund. I knew a guy who did that for his whole college career. They usually give full refunds if the text is returned within a week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:16:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:24:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Greywolf2112: My question is, just how much of a difference do you think there would be between these editions?
View Quote
[i]Human Anatomy and Physiology[/i], you say? Hmm, evolution [i]does[/i] work, but usually not that fast. I don't think any new humanoid species or races have been discovered since 1998. Go with the 4th if you can get away with it. You could at least try, and hey, who knows, maybe some of your co-students have to quit within the first few weeks, buy their used books for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:49:11 PM EDT
Two other options: Near most large schools, a cottage industry of used book stores tends to spring up. They work absically like this: Student A takes class, buys new book from official bookstore. Decides after semester that he does not want to keep book. Sells to bookstaore for more than "official" bookstore would give. Student B takes class next semester. Used boookstore has Student A's book on the shelf, with a mark up that both gives the used book store a nice profit and saves the student from the used book prices at the "official" store. Ain't capitalism great. Option 2 involves avoiding thre middleman and finding a student who took the class or dropped the class since the adoption of the new text and buying it straight from him / her. You are essentially SOL if this id the frist semester with the new text. I will add this however. Chances are, any changes made so not affect the whole book. Therefore, should you want to go the potocopy route, buy the old book and determine where changes were made - then you onloy have to copy applicable pages. You should be able to find students willing to let you copy from their texts as the semester rolls along. Try to do it all upfront and you may be frustrated at how many section of the text your professor never even uses. I can tell you, as a person who spent a good chunk of my college days in the Bio dept., most professors use the books more as a reference than the basis for instruction. They all tend to think of themselves as smarter than the textbook publishers (usually the case). Adam
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:07:28 PM EDT
Get used to it. I knew a kid when I was a freshman who had a $210 book. I would always check with the prof first. It can save a lot of trouble. Most times the previous book will work fine. However on occasion there could be several new chapters missing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:13:51 PM EDT
Welcome to the world of medical textbooks. I hate to say it but the books don't get any cheaper from here on out. I would look at both books side by side and look for the differences. Anatomy and Physiology facts don't change very rapidly. So, you may be able to get by with the older edition. BUT, A&P is a very intensive subject as far a memorization goes. There is really no other way to learn A&P than to commit it to memory. You really don't want to spend a bunch of time memorizing the WRONG information. Another idea is to try Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Sometimes you can find used copies of more recent edition books. I have had luck with this several times. Good luck with school. Here is one of my favorite mnemonics (it will come in handy when memorizing the cranial nerves): Oh, Oh, Oh, To touch and feel, very good virgins always holler. O = Olfactory O = Optic O = Occulomotor T = Trochlear T = Trigeminal A = Abduscens F = Facial V = Vestibulocochlear G = Glossopharyngeal V = Vagus A = Accessory H = Hypoglossal
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:55:10 PM EDT
I'd get it. The only thing that you'll be missing is a few updates and the pages might be a little different. What I mean by this is what is on your page 15 in version 4, will be page 17 in version 5. Odds are there won't be many differences. Might include a CD-Rom or something. And in my experience many teachers will allow you to use their book to make photocopies, if it is truly necessary. Not to mention you'll hopefully make a friend or two that'll allow you to photocopy their book as well... If it makes you feel any better try buying computer text books or computer math books. A book less than an inch thick for $80 dollars does not make me happy. Although realistically you usually don't have to buy the computer text books...[:|]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:01:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Greywolf2112: My question is, just how much of a difference do you think there would be between these editions? I wonder if I could get away with having the 4th edition versus the 5th edition. I am looking at having to spend more damn money for the books than the class itself! Any thoughts, guys?
View Quote
I'd contact the instructor and ask if it's his/her requiremen (I've had more than my share of teachers telling me it doesn't matter.) Then, if he/she insists on the 5th edition check out these links: [url]www.mysimon.com[/url] [url]www.textbooksx.com[/url] [url]www.half.com[/url] And then there's always [url]www.ebay.com[/url].
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:31:28 PM EDT
I ALWAYS get the older edition of a book unless I have to get the new one becuase it is alot different.
Top Top