Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2002 11:08:07 AM EDT
"Lots of patrols on the road, lots of tickets being issued"

BLAHHHH.  This BS is really getting to me.  The purpose is to "SAVE LIVES"  - ya right.  The purpose is to make some extra $$$ by writing tickets.  If we were really serious about changing peoples' idiotic behavior (and yes, driving w/out a seatbelt is IDIOTIC) what they would do it pull over the offenders, get the out of the car, put out the whoopin' stick and give them a good ol' fashioned ass whooping right there on the side of the road.  And then tell them "Now son, don't make me have to do this again!" hehe you think the guy would wear his seatbelt from then on?  On the other hand, what's a damn ticket, so it costs ya 70 bucks or so.  Not a whole lotta skin off their back.  BTW I'm being mostly facetious but still...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Im in TX, I thaught that when this seat belt thing started , way back when,  that it was only going to be a secondary ticket.
from what I was told the Police could [b]not[/b] stop you for that [i]alone...[/i]
I mean if you got stoped for , say a red light ..bam!! redlight ticket and a seatbelt ticket..

what ever happened to that,,

guess they saw the [s]money[/s] I mean life saving potential there...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry, although I use my seatbelt, I believe that they fall into the category of  MODB.  A seatbelt may save your life, and I appreciate all the protective devices that they can stuff into my car, but the government should not be able to make me wear it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
personally, i always wear my seatbelt or helmet, but to make it a law is retarded, think of it as thinning the herd, or natural selection, if you want to go 100 without a seatbelt or helmet, that should be YOUR choice, and when your stupid ass is killed, you can't pollute the gene pool with a decision making disorder.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The medical profession, a very powerful lobby, does not want you DOA.  What profit is there in that?  Sex or money, this time it's the money...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Perennial topic, and my perennial response:

When I have to pay for it, I get to say something about it.  This would include taxpayer supported EMS, medical treatment, public works costs, as well as MY insurance rates going up because of money spent for YOUR injuries. This might include your rehabilitation in a spinal cord or brain injury program (*very* expensive, BTW), or for unecessary medical expenses that could have been prevented by your taking a simple precaution like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet (only while on a motorcycle, of course [:)]).

If there was some way you could agree to NEVER use those services, you could do whatever you'd like.  Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.  So in the meantime, please buckle up and refrain from crashing through your windshield, if you would.

Thanks!

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The government gets this mentality because they feel if they are paying someone's doctor bills, insurance, whatever....  then they have the right to "limit" peoples rights by passing these stupid laws....

Same thing with tobbacco tax.   Since the government spends money on people who are dying with cancer in hospitals.  They feel they have the right to tax tobacco and use the money to try to keep the children from using tobacco.

Truth is they used the money for alot of things other than anti-smoking campaigns...

When are we ever going to end this crap....
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The government gets this mentality because they feel if they are paying someone's doctor bills, insurance, whatever....  then they have the right to "limit" peoples rights by passing these stupid laws....

Same thing with tobbacco tax.   Since the government spends money on people who are dying with cancer in hospitals.  They feel they have the right to tax tobacco and use the money to try to keep the children from using tobacco.

Truth is they used the money for alot of things other than anti-smoking campaigns...

When are we ever going to end this crap....
View Quote

When people take complete responsibility for their lives and their actions.

Wanna smoke, drink, do other drugs?  Great!  

Just don't expect taxpayers to either subsidize your habits or pay for the consequences of them.

Of course, this is impossible, so we end up with choice "B" which is tor try and regulate it a bit.

I think that's fair.  True, there is a problem with too much gov.t regualation, but that's another problem.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Just more money to .gov, not a thing to do with saving lives. I wish the .gov would get out of the business of protecting me from myself. Just more feel good legislation to put more money in their pocket's for doing nothing. Other countries have only one ruling family, we have 535 in congress to feed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When I have to pay for it, I get to say something about it.
View Quote

What would you say to a referendum on the subject?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
well...scotty my friend...since you seem to think you are paying for this...why don't you lobby the car companies to make a car that can handle impact better than a tomato. or actually have real safety equipment instead of the jokes they put in now. or how-about lobying they gov't for their part of the fourdollar a pack cigarette money--that was supposed to help cover medical costs...or Mcdonalds for serving fattening crap that does more damage than smoking..your insurance rates go up because the companies want them to...it has nothing to do with the real world....and your example about insurance rates and crashes----it is more expensive for the doctors if you don't die..therefore they make more money...that's how the helmet law was defeated in texas....
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The medical profession, a very powerful lobby, does not want you DOA.  What profit is there in that?  Sex or money, this time it's the money...
View Quote

Organ reaping.  We caught the medical lobby at this in Texas not so many years ago when we got the mandatory helmet law rescinded.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/traffic_ticket_system.html[/url]

It's not about safety, it's about lining the cities coffers with our money.  Ask yourself, what would best deter a traffic violation, a monetary fine or points which after a certain number of offenses (or based on severity of the offense) you simply lose your license.  
Traffic cops suck [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When I have to pay for it, I get to say something about it.  This would include taxpayer supported EMS, medical treatment, public works costs, as well as MY insurance rates going up because of money spent for YOUR injuries. This might include your rehabilitation in a spinal cord or brain injury program (*very* expensive, BTW), or for unecessary medical expenses that could have been prevented by your taking a simple precaution like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet (only while on a motorcycle, of course [:)]).

If there was some way you could agree to NEVER use those services, you could do whatever you'd like.  Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.  So in the meantime, please buckle up and refrain from crashing through your windshield, if you would.

Thanks!

View Quote

Maybe we could put a large metal spike on the steering wheel, who in their right mind would not wear one then, and even if they didn't they would be a shishkabob (sp?) !!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

ahh, yet another, intelligent, well worded, witty response for our friend spectre.[:)]

that's good, come up with that on your own?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

ahh, yet another, intelligent, well worded, witty response for our friend spectre.[:)]

that's good, come up with that on your own?
View Quote

Ahhh, yet another lost opportunity to connect on any level with a sense of humor from our friend quietshoez. [rolleyes]

And yes, I did come up with that myself !! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone remember a few ago when some old guy in Texas finally had enough of being hassled and harrassed by the cops and wound shooting and killing a cop who had stopped him for nothing more than not wearing a seat belt?

I'm certainly not advocating killing law enforcement officers over this, but more and more I'm beginning to understand the frustration and outrage that lead to such actions. It's got to be tough to get older and watch your rights and freedoms dwindle throughout your life.

What really irratates me about the new seat belt law in Washington is that the fucking cops aren't simply acting as enforcers of the law. They lobbied very hard for this and now they keep on playing public servive announcements featuring cops threatening anyone who chooses not to wear their seatbelt. If the cops were impartial enforcers of the law I could better support them. I don't give a flying fuck how many auto accidents a cop showed up to where the dead weren't wearing a seat belt. That's your job, you stupid fuck. If you can't handle it, go find another line of work. Don't try to be my nanny.

I have seriously been pondering if we could get an initiative going to repeal Washington's seat belt laws in their entireity. What a slap in the face that would be to our legislators and nanny cops.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

Okay, no law on seat belt or helmet usage.

But, in it's place, a law that states if you are injured while not wearing the seat belt in a car or a helmet on a motorcycle, no medical treatment whatsoever.  Throw 'em in a room and let them be on their own.  If they die, gene pool is cleaned a little more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
[url]http://www.pomf.org/2000/vetter.html[/url]

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Randall Vetter died at 10:24 p.m. on August 7, 2000 at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

Trooper Vetter was shot in the head on August 3, 2000 after he stopped Melvin Edison Hale, 72, to ticket him for not wearing a seat belt. The shooting occurred during broad daylight on the frontage road of IH 35 in Kyle, about 20 miles south of Austin.
The suspect exited his vehicle and began shooting with a rifle while the trooper was still sitting in his patrol car.  Trooper Vetter was able to return fire, but did not strike the suspect.  An off duty officer, who happened to be passing by, witnessed the shooting and alerted other officers.  

Hale was arrested a short distance from the scene after Hays County Sheriff's deputies shot out the tires on his vehicle. He was known to area officers as having anti-government sentiments and had made claims that he would shoot any officer who tried to arrest  him.  However, Vetter had only been working in Hays County for several months and was not aware of the threat.

Trooper Vetter is survived by father, Kermit Vetter, a lieutenant for the Comal County Sheriff's Department, his wife Cynthia and his eight-month old son, Robert.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
What really irratates me about the new seat belt law in Washington is that the fucking cops aren't simply acting as enforcers of the law. They lobbied very hard for this and now they keep on playing public servive announcements featuring cops threatening anyone who chooses not to wear their seatbelt. If the cops were impartial enforcers of the law I could better support them. I don't give a flying fuck how many auto accidents a cop showed up to where the dead weren't wearing a seat belt. That's your job, you stupid fuck. If you can't handle it, go find another line of work. Don't try to be my nanny.

I have seriously been pondering if we could get an initiative going to repeal Washington's seat belt laws in their entireity. What a slap in the face that would be to our legislators and nanny cops.
View Quote

Are you really going to replace Mr. Eiman !! Remember , No dipping in the funds . On another note my wife and daughter are under 5'1" so they can't really wear a seatbelt with a shoulder belt , wife usually has her's tucked under her arm ; I wish I could sell tickets to the event when she gets stopped , she REALLY REALLY hates cops .
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
What bothers me about this law is that it makes not wearing a seatbelt a primary offense, meaning that you can be pulled over for that alone. I can easily see this being abused by the power crazed assholes who shouldn't have a badge, while having little or no effect on trafic safety. Most police officers I know are not planning on enforcing this, but all it takes is one or two dickheads and we will start hearing a lot of trumped up "police misconduct" stories on the news.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#22]
"I've never unbuckled a corpse."  --E.M.T. quoted in Reader's Digest
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]
in houston, i think the average ticket cost is about $150.00 for running stop signs and lights.  changing lanes not in safty is about $30.00  things like that bug me.  people can do stupid stuff on freeways and pay as little as $30 but if you get caught 2 inches past the white stripe at teh stop sign its $150
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

oh hell, now THAT'S funny  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.pomf.org/2000/vetter.html[/url]

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Randall Vetter died at 10:24 p.m. on August 7, 2000 at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

Trooper Vetter was shot in the head on August 3, 2000 after he stopped Melvin Edison Hale, 72, to ticket him for not wearing a seat belt. The shooting occurred during broad daylight on the frontage road of IH 35 in Kyle, about 20 miles south of Austin.
The suspect exited his vehicle and began shooting with a rifle while the trooper was still sitting in his patrol car.  Trooper Vetter was able to return fire, but did not strike the suspect.  An off duty officer, who happened to be passing by, witnessed the shooting and alerted other officers.  

Hale was arrested a short distance from the scene after Hays County Sheriff's deputies shot out the tires on his vehicle. He was known to area officers as having anti-government sentiments and had made claims that he would shoot any officer who tried to arrest  him.  However, Vetter had only been working in Hays County for several months and was not aware of the threat.

Trooper Vetter is survived by father, Kermit Vetter, a lieutenant for the Comal County Sheriff's Department, his wife Cynthia and his eight-month old son, Robert.

View Quote
And this has WHAT to do with the subject at hand?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Want to stop stupid harassing no victim pissant laws like this? Put in place a law that says fines for victimless traffic infractions are illegal, and that any infraction that a driver is convicted of must be punished with jail time.

It could based on the fact that most traffic stops and fines violate the 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th amendments to the US constitution.

If the localities saw that stupid annoying laws like this were costing a fortune to enforce they would abandon enforcement of these laws except where an actual danger was presented to the public. Don't believe me? Local cops will arrest people if they catch them with counterfeit currency. That is strictly a federal law problem, but there are victims, all of us, and it happens very little, so cops make the collar and call the Secret Service.

Ever see illegals arrested by local or state cops for being here illegally? Heck, they had to actually have state legislator debates in several states before it was determined that enforcement of those federal laws would bankrupt the justice system. Get rid of the money incentive and watch these laws turn white, crumble, and disappear at the  first rain.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Problem is the insurance company has to pay up for your stupidity. And all our rates go up. A head injury to you kid means you sue yourself, your insurance pays up and you get the money. We had a cop who was drunk , his wife was drunk he hit a car, and his wife sued him for 1.5 million, the insurance paid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a thankless job, but imagine life without them.

That aside, they write lots of tickets so they can pay for their patrol cars, so they can write you tickets!!![soapbox]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Everyone has to wear a seat belt..........but people can ride motorcycles without a seat belt.

The injuries per accident involving a car vs. motorcycle are horrendously higher then car vs. car.  

[size=3]POINT:[/size=3]Why should the government make us all wear seat belts, when it is still legal to ride a motorcycle?

edit: Harleys RULE!  

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Seatbelts aren't about safety.  If they wanted a safe seatbelt it would be a 4 or 5 point harness not a 3 point system.  Only Volvo has a 4 point system.  FWIW my 4 point racing harness in my car will still get me a seatbelt ticket as it is not DOT approved.  Tell me how replacing the stock lap belt with a 4 point harness is less safe than the lap belt.  It's about the money, it's always about the money no matter what excuse they use.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I dont need the government to protect me from myself, from you or from anyone else. They can take their seat belt laws and shove them in their asses.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's true because they ain't a corpse until they get to the hospital and a dr. declares it so.  EMT's don't have the authority to pronounce death.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
well...scotty my friend...since you seem to think you are paying for this...why don't you lobby the car companies to make a car that can handle impact better than a tomato. or actually have real safety equipment instead of the jokes they put in now.

View Quote

Buddy! [:D]

It's not the car that has trouble handling the crash, it's the skull that squashes like a tomato when bumped against harder objects.

If you look at "real" safety equipment, like in race cars, it involves SEVERAL harnesses, helmets, nomex suits, and roll cages...

You want all that?  Cool!  A bit much for a drive to the store for milk and toilet paper, but if you insist...

BTW, who do you think pays for all those EMS services and medical treatment injured drivers recieve?  You do, if you pay taxes.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BTW, who do you think pays for all those EMS services and medical treatment injured drivers recieve?  You do, if you pay taxes.
View Quote

So they want to double-bill me if I don't wear a seatbelt??  Fvck 'em.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's true because they ain't a corpse until they get to the hospital and a dr. declares it so.  EMT's don't have the authority to pronounce death.
View Quote

In some states a doctor can pronounce death in  a phone conversation with a EMT.

Usually the victim is unbelted before being worked on.

Good point MT Misfit.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Thats is what is wrong with this country, CLICKIT OR TICKET, I SAY TICKET YOU SUCK IT COP.. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THAT HAS NOTHING TO BETTER TO DO WITH HIS TIME THAN TO WRITE SEATBELT TICKETS, THE COUNTY I LIVE IN HAS THE HIGHEST RATE OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN MY STATE BUT THE COPS ARE SETTING UP ROADBLOCKS TO SEE IF I'M WEARING MY SEATBELT!!!! THIS I B.S.

What most don't realize is this clik it or ticket is really grassroots socialism in this country, I bealive that it is part of the step by step forfiture of uor rights. Reason being that pulling you over for not wearing your seatbelt is a direct violation of my right to privacy, alsoi setting up roadblocks is a violation of illegal revenuing!!!!!

Think about it folks this is not consericay theory bs this is actually happening in our own country,

LOSS OF LIBERTY!!!!!!!11. SMOKING(you say i can agree with that it bothers me too, boo hoo, your just as bad as the next commie)
2. govt controls what you do in your own house, car and on ytour private property...

it is step by step testing to see what they can get away with, and we are letting them get away with alot..
PS. I VOTED YESTERDAY DID YOU???
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]
For those of you who subscribe to the "People who smoke and don't wear seat belts or helmets cost me money as a taxpayer", you should probably take a moment to pull your head out and grasp that you are subscribing to one of the core tenets of the anti-gun crowd. People make irresponsible decisions about gun use. As taxpayers and insurance policy holders, the cost of smoking, not wearing a seat belt or helmet, irresponsible gun use, and a littany of other choices/activities usually falls upon us. So to apply your logic, gun owbership and use should be strictly regulated. Constition be damned, it costs us money.

Is that the direction that you really want to go?

So what risky activity should we regulate or ban next? Moto-crossing? Mountain biking? Diving? Surfing? Hunting? Maybe we should ban homosexuality. Or how about sex between unmarried partners? As a taxpayer, that probably costs me more money than anything.

Well? What's going to be?

For the record, I believe in wearing seat belts. But the choice should be MINE.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Im in TX, I thaught that when this seat belt thing started , way back when,  that it was only going to be a secondary ticket.
from what I was told the Police could [b]not[/b] stop you for that [i]alone...[/i]
I mean if you got stoped for , say a red light ..bam!! redlight ticket and a seatbelt ticket..

what ever happened to that,,

guess they saw the [s]money[/s] I mean life saving potential there...
View Quote

That's the way it started in California too, but of course, after a couple of years they could pull you over for the seat belt infraction alone.

I think all of this crap started in CA. You guys should have taken that as a cue not to let them pass the same laws in your states.

I can see someone getting a warning or an added infraction for not wearing a seat belt, bot only if you're pulled over for something else. But to pull you over because "we're worried about your safety" is total BS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote

Dude, no offense, but this is the same reasoning they are using to push forward their 5-cent per bullet tax in our state.

It works both ways.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember when the seatbelt and helmet laws passed in this state.  The big pro arguement was that less people will be using the insurance so the rates would go down.

The insurance rates never went down.

Anyone using that arguement needs to take a look at recent local history.  

I won't bitch about the cops enforcing stupid laws as much as I would bitch about the idiots who vote those laws in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

But, in it's place, a law that states if you are injured while not wearing the seat belt in a car or a helmet on a motorcycle, no medical treatment whatsoever.  Throw 'em in a room and let them be on their own.  If they die, gene pool is cleaned a little more.
View Quote

Okay, how about this...  if they find that you are the moron that was at fault and put me in the hospital by crashing into me while I'm not wearing my seatbelt, how about they throw you in the same room I'm laying in? If YOU die, then the gene pool is cleaned a little more of the people who think THEY should make MY decisions.

Sorry to sound hostile, but just stating my opinion through the use of your hypothetical response.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
[soapbox]

I have been hearing the propaganda regarding the 'clickit' campaign, and have spent little, but some conscious time towards my decision regarding the newest infringement upon my freedoms.

I have made a decision that I WILL disregard the new law PERIOD. I will no longer reach around and attempt to act like I am wearing my ticket like a little kid. Upon being pulled over in the future I will inform the officer I will make them famous. I do intend to appeal and fight with all I have, as I have just had e-flippin-nough regarding encroachment of my personal freedom.

I am college educated in computers/math, but choose to drive for a living. I have wanted to drive since I was small as a occupational choice. I hold 2 jobs driving, one material, one people. I have driven in 5 foreign countries, and 48 states. Driving is my freedom, my high, and right beside guns, my hobby. Simply, they can kiss my driving ass....

As for you supporters of the rule, picture this. Before you come after cars and seatbelts as risky behavior costing the masses, might I suggest banning the following for the same reasons FIRST....

Skateboards,Surfboards,Skiing,Skydiving,Sledding,Showers,Beds without rails...I think you get my point. Well maybe you dont, as you actually agree with this. [b]IF[/b] you think driving without a seatbelt costs us all, [b]ANY[/b] movement [b]CAN[/b] cause injuries, etc. To follow your rationale, we should bubble wrap everyone and leave them in bed. But ya know what? The stupid ones would just roll over and smother!

These bastards will not rest until [b]TOTAL[/b] people control is achieved.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Its a revenue thing alright...

Or they just don't want to be sued if little johnny hit a fance post killed himself because he didn't wear the belt. And there was a officer that saw him down the street not wearing the belt, and cannot doa thing about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Seat belts save lives, nobody can deny that. I can personally account for two high school friends (beautiful girls too) who had their faces rearranged after wrecking WITHOUT wearing their seatbelts. As for the "clickit or ticket" program, its bullshit. I was stoped at a "clickit" roadblock, it was obvious that i had my belt on, so i attemped to drive off. The officer yelled for me to stop, so he could look into my backseat for contraband. FVCK 'EM.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

View Quote

Okay, how about this...  if they find that you are the moron that was at fault and put me in the hospital by crashing into me while I'm not wearing my seatbelt, how about they throw you in the same room I'm laying in? If YOU die, then the gene pool is cleaned a little more of the people who think THEY should make MY decisions.

Sorry to sound hostile, but just stating my opinion through the use of your hypothetical response.
View Quote
Well, you do sound hostile and apology NOT accepted.  First, I am not a moron, whether I was at fault in the wreck or not.  Second, it doesn't matter who was at fault. Anyone who does not wear their seat belt IS a moron who decided to take their chances without the belt, even if they are in a wreck that is not their fault.  In fact, the major reason to wear a belt is not necessarily because of your own driving, but because of other's driving.

I am not making YOUR decision, as you imply.  I said no seat belt law, newbie.  READ!  All I said was that you suffer the consequences of YOUR decision not to wear a seat belt.  That is one of the major things wrong with our country, someone makes a bad decision and expects someone else to bail them out.  Are you one who thinks that the tobacco companies should pay because people made a bad choice to smoke?

So, no, I should not be thrown in the same room as you because I will be wearing my belt.  Always have, always will.  I don't need a law to tell me to buckle up, wear a helmet, or turn my lights on when it is raining.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For those of you who subscribe to the "People who smoke and don't wear seat belts or helmets cost me money as a taxpayer", you should probably take a moment to pull your head out and grasp that you are subscribing to one of the core tenets of the anti-gun crowd. People make irresponsible decisions about gun use. As taxpayers and insurance policy holders, the cost of smoking, not wearing a seat belt or helmet, irresponsible gun use, and a littany of other choices/activities usually falls upon us. So to apply your logic, gun owbership and use should be strictly regulated. Constition be damned, it costs us money.

So what risky activity should we regulate or ban next? Moto-crossing? Mountain biking? Diving? Surfing? Hunting? Maybe we should ban homosexuality. Or how about sex between unmarried partners? As a taxpayer, that probably costs me more money than anything.

View Quote

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumb.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am not using the 'you are costing me money' argument.  I am just saying that you accept the consequences of your actions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On the other hand, what's a damn ticket, so it costs ya 70 bucks or so.  
View Quote

$86
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top