Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 11:11:12 PM EDT
I'm planning to purchase a Glock 17 soon, and was wondering what everyones preference was in terms of sights. Stock, or the tritium sights? The newer Glocks I see have white dot fronts, with the white line on the rear, which I presume would be visible in low enough light as to see your target at night. Or are they? Just curious which would be the wiser choice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Get Trijicons. [pistol]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Sights on a pistol are pretty much like tits on a bull, useless, just point and shoot. Be sure and track down some high cap mags, they make owning a Glock fun!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Cant buy Hi-Caps in CA.... HA HA!
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think I could live with California's gun laws, I take too much for granted and dont appreciate the freedoms I have in my great state. Sweet Home Alabama.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If there's a chance you'll carry the pistol or use it as a personal defense weapon then definitely get the Trijicons. If however, you only intend to use it as a range gun then why spend the extra money, the standard sights will do fine.

I have a few Glocks, two that I carry and they both have night sights. I have two other ones that I use strictly a range guns and they are fitted with standard sights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a G17 and have to say that Princeton nailed it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Standard sights seem to work fine for a range gun. If you're going to use it for self-defense, consider the Ashley Express sights; they're very quick when it comes to acquiring a sight picture, and they have tritium options. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Heine 'Straight 8' are quick night sights but the std. Glock sights or Ashley Exp. sights are great in the daytime.

Getting back to your actual question.  I'd go ahead and choose the Glock equipped w/ the night sights. This gives you a much better setup at night and yet you still have [u]good[/u] daytime sights.  Making the change later on would mean having to learn a new setup.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cant buy Hi-Caps in CA.... HA HA!
View Quote

[pissed]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#10]
you need the HK sights....on a HK of course !!!
[x]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sights on a pistol are pretty much like tits on a bull, useless, just point and shoot.
View Quote

When the question is [b]"Are guys with 9mm Glocks better equipped than guys with .45 1911 with 7 or 8rds mags”[/b] 80% of you say that the .45 will do it. [b]But aiming is pretty much useless, hä?[/b] Your mag will be empty in 3-4sec. and you have hit nothing w/o aiming. Not even at 15m!

BTW Don’t want to flame you Confederate. It’s just someting I’ve seen often. I prefer a high-cap 9mm over a .45 anytime. But I’m from Europe where the 9mm is “the way to go”. Maybe I see things from a different point of view..

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate the standard Glock sights. The cup and ball just dont work for me. i need 3 dots.
Since your life depends on it, get the Trijicons or Meprolights.
I have never actually used the heine so i cant comment on those.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to carry it, get night sights, if you are going to carry it, get night sights on your range gun also.  Practice what you carry.

Anything else is penny wise and pound foolish.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I put Trijicons on my 30.
If I had to do it again I would have got Heini's
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I stayed with the stock white sights only because of the range I would actually use my Glock26 at, if ever, in a DEFENSIVE situation...very very close to almost point blank range (think inside subway cars or hallways). Nightsights are useless to me at that point....that's why I practice,practice,practice. It works for this NYC cop.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ultima ratio:
Sights on a pistol are pretty much like tits on a bull, useless, just point and shoot.
View Quote

When the question is [b]"Are guys with 9mm Glocks better equipped than guys with .45 1911 with 7 or 8rds mags”[/b] 80% of you say that the .45 will do it. [b]But aiming is pretty much useless, hä?[/b] Your mag will be empty in 3-4sec. and you have hit nothing w/o aiming. Not even at 15m!

BTW Don’t want to flame you Confederate. It’s just someting I’ve seen often. I prefer a high-cap 9mm over a .45 anytime. But I’m from Europe where the 9mm is “the way to go”. Maybe I see things from a different point of view..

View Quote

Ohhhh....so many topics to address...

1) Screw the damn Glock. If you can only have 10, get the HS2000. Better gun at 1/2 the price.

2)ultima ratio- W_R_O_N_G!
Dude, Euro's have ALWAYS subscribed to the volume fire notion, thus y'all like a whole lotta wee little weenie rounds like the 9MM.
Does the 1911 empty faster?Yup.
But if you can hit what you are shooting at, there will be no need for any "follow up" shots once you plant that big-ass .455 Diamater slug in your adversary.
And if you can't hit what you are shooting at, you will be no better off with a 9MM anyway.
So why pick the weaker of the rounds?

Fuck it.

I shoot a Glock 20, and it kicks the crap out of any handgun you can throw at it.15 Rounds of 10MM.

Can anyone beat that?

Hello?

Hello?

No?

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Pay the extra bucks and get Trijicon over Mepro. We have both on issue G22's, and the Mepro's tend to rust in the salty air. The Trijicon's seem a bit brighter, and hold up better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top