Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 1:34:00 PM EDT
So I am looking at cell phones on ebay, What is "locked" and "unlocked?"

I have a Nokia 6310i with service through AT&T but I want a new phone.  If I get a "unlocked" phone can I just put my SIM card in it and have it work, or will I have to do somthing to activate it?

I know next to nothing about cell phones, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
"Locked" means the phone will only work with a particular carrier.  

Example: Taking a SIM from a T-Mobile phone and dropping it in a locked Cingular phone will not work.

But you can place your AT&T SIM in another locked AT&T phone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Some phones you buy from non-authorized dealers may be locked and unless you know someone who can unlock it for you it ain't gonna work.

AT&T may or may not unlock your phone.  Check with them first.

Check yahoo shopping for phones.  Usually they have pretty good prices and most phones are unlocked, but if you're not getting a plan with the phone you will pay higher.

So you have AT&T GSM service?

If the phone is AT&T network compatible it should work when you swap SIM cards.

One side note, I had PacBell/Cingular GSM service before and bought a replacement phone from yahoo shopping because one of those chicom dealers tried to rip me off on a replacement.  The phone worked but the voice mail was slow to arrive and some icons weren't active.  So I guess the phones the dealer offers may be programmed in a certain way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
On locked phone:

I read that some c-phone companies will send the code to lock your phone after you terminate service to prevent you from using it on another network ( if compatible ).  Apparently they only want that phone to be used on their network.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I buy a T-Mobile phone, will Catherine Zeta Jones drop by and show me how to set it up?
View Quote
[:(] No. I already tried this. I've also tried to call collect from a payphone, and the angel girl didn't show up. All I got was Carrot Top.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I buy a T-Mobile phone, will Catherine Zeta Jones drop by and show me how to set it up?
View Quote
[:(] No. I already tried this. I've also tried to call collect from a payphone, and the angel girl didn't show up. All I got was Carrot Top.
View Quote

Does anyone know who that angel chick is?

She's a hottie!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've also tried to call collect from a payphone, and the angel girl didn't show up. All I got was Carrot Top.
View Quote

I hope you stabbed him right in the neck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've also tried to call collect from a payphone, and the angel girl didn't show up. All I got was Carrot Top.
View Quote

I hope you stabbed him right in the neck.
View Quote

[img]http://www.lynnguppy.com/carrottop.jpg[/img][img]http://www.simpworks.com/gallery/pics/978563660bob1a.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.lynnguppy.com/carrottop.jpg[/url][url]http://www.simpworks.com/gallery/pics/978563660bob1a.gif[/url]
View Quote

Sideshow Bob is much cooler and has more talent than Carrot Ass.  C'mon, when Bob framed Krusty, and had his own show - he really rocked!  I am still wondering if Sideshow Mel could pull off what Bob was able to do.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Call Collect" angel is actress Jamie Pressly...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The "Call Collect" angel is actress Jamie Pressly...
View Quote

Thanks!

I guessed it could've been her but the shorter hair threw me off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top