Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 6:13:59 AM EDT
Would running a car in NY for 3-4 years be enough to cause a rust issue?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe
View Quote

Enough of a risk to avoid automatically ?

For some reason almost every new car in my area has been bought at the auto auction from up north.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If it wasn't washed 2 times a week in the winter, yes it could have rust.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a used truck (2008 Nissan Frontier) last year that spent it's whole life in southern NY, there's a bit of rust but nothing bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Depends on what part of NY you're talking about. Some areas rust cars out faster than others.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't touch a car from the rustbelt again, that's more than enough time for rust to sink it's teeth in . I'm from the Northeast...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#7]
On my 08 vehicle the calipers seem to rust first.

I was driving 2000 miles a week for 2.5 years.  This was driving out to Dunkirk, Buffalo, Salamanca, Eden, Rochester, and Palatine Bridge.
All of this driving was daily, and in every storm.  In that time I had to replace 6 calipers due to rusting to the point of freezing solid.

I am getting some rusting from where the paint has chipped, but it is not terrible.

The car now has 350k, and washing was done maybe once every month or two.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For some reason almost every new car in my area has been bought at the auto auction from up north.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe

I would avoid a northern used car.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't buy one from up north.

My 2005 Silverado has only been in the salt (winter driving to WV and back) once a month or so.  The brake lines rusted through about 4 years ago.  I've replaced all of them as even the ones that didn't split/leak looked really bad (just a matter of time).  I had the bed off a couple month back to replace the fuel pump and the frame cross rails are rusted really bad.  Deep pitting and scaling.  No rust holes in the body, yet. But it's probably just a matter of time.  

My 86 IROC, on the other hand, came out of NC and I've had it 15 years now.  Jack it up and crawl under it and the spots where Chevrolet failed to spray paint on are still primer gray, no rust.  Because it's never been in the salt.

I refuse to take my wife's Jeep or Fusion home (WV) in the winter.

Get on Auto trader, look up the year/model of vehicle you are looking to buy.  Set the miles from your zip code up enough to look at vehicles down south and up north and look at the pictures and read the descriptions.    I've been looking for a 2000 to 2003 F250 or F350 with the 7.3 in it and quite often, even the ones for sale in northern VA or Maryland have rust holes in the fender or tail gate.  The ones from NC look like new trucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]
yes, more so if you are on the thruway alot
I have been driving my 02 Dodge Dakota from Albany to Utica and then Old Forge on the Thruway in the prime of salt season to go snowmobiling at least 5-6 times a winter.
truck was completely white more than a few times from all the salt spray
it is much more rusted than any other dakota i have seen and I washed it often during the winter
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a reason I have a ''winter beater'' vehicle.

That said, depending on the vehicle and the owner, a couple years shouldn't kill a vehicle rust wise if maintained properly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Should be OK but check it out anyhow. Give it a good flushing underneath to remove any hidden salt that will attract moisture for years to come. Newer cars and trucks are much better rustproofed from the factory than the old bare steel chassis cars ever were although I do know of a woman with a 4 yr old Durango with rust eating through the rear wheel wells so Chrysler STILL has some work to do in the rustproofing department. Chrysler products in the 50's and 60's were famous for rusting out in the first couple years in the salt states.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]
It depends on if they got that tru coat
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
2012 Hyundai elentra was really nice, lots of nice features and rode nicely.

Looked at the engine compartment and all the metal parts, water pump and alternator were not rusted by very pitted, almost like concrete that's degrading.  Very rough texture.  I looked at the rotors and brake calipers.  Everything that was visible through the wheels was rusted bad. Run, run away.  For a good value (aka already depreciated) but with low miles and good features.

But I think the model will be a good first car if we can find one that's not form the rust belt.  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck salt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 3 vehicles.............

My 1989 Toyota 4Runner.   Never in the salt.   Absolutely zero rust.

2001 VW Jetta TDI.   Have owned it about 4 years now.   I have never driven it in the salt, but the previous owner has.  Both front fenders were replaced by VW  under warranty as they were starting to rust.   Other than that, amazing how well the body looks.  

1997 Toyota Corolla.   Most reliable car I have ever owned.   Love that little booger.   But, it gets driven in the winter, I wash it all the time, but the rust is just starting to grab hold of it.    
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My 15 year old Taurus showed no rust for the first 14 yrs.
How long do you expect it to last
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 15 year old Taurus showed no rust for the first 14 yrs.
How long do you expect it to last
View Quote

My hope if he didn't wreck it, ten years of light around town driving and commuting to college.  But this one showed serious rust already on it.

If it was clean without rust and pitting, I might not worry a lot.  This one has a lot of rust on a lot of parts that really matter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a 2003 I just picked up in Michigan so yes, you can find older rust free vehicles in the salt belt. However, you have to work at it usually.

The 2000 Durango I sold was rust free also but I just drive beaters during salt  season.

[/img]

The brine liquid stuff they [DOT] are using now is murder on steel as far as rust goes. Evil stuff, makes salt look like sand.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is a 2003 I just picked up in Michigan so yes, you can find older rust free vehicles in the salt belt. However, you have to work at it usually.

The 2000 Durango I sold was rust free also but I just drive beaters during salt  season.

http://i61.tinypic.com/28km4ia.jpg[/url]

The brine liquid stuff they [DOT] are using now is murder on steel as far as rust goes. Evil stuff, makes salt look like sand.

View Quote

I agree the brime is more caustic but it does wash off more easily than the salt. The secret is to flush your vehicle off top and bottom at the self carwash as soon as possible or at the very least going for a good highway drive during the first downpour of the season.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Rust never sleeps

Make sure they got the dealership rust proofing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top