Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:36:29 AM EDT
So I was driving to lunch today, in my '01 jeep grand cherokee, and my right front tweeter started making a crackling noise. Got in the car after lunch, completely lost mid and high range in the front speakers! rears work fine, but even with the tweeters disconnected, only low range in the 2 fronts (doors).
Did my Amplifier in the back just fry??
What happened? It's got the infinity premium sound system in it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:46:58 AM EDT
My guess would be that the speaker wire came loose and touched something else causing interference at first and it shut off. I would imagine that you would have a hard time blowing an amp on a factory system becuase they are usually matched up to the speakers and deck a lot better than on a custom stereo. I'd take it to a local car audio shop and have them take a look at it
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:51:12 AM EDT
Could the Amp fuse have blown?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:53:49 AM EDT
Most Chrysler Vehicles with premium sound have a separate amp built in for low range speakers. Quite frequently the amp in the head units from the factory malfunction, while the low fewquency amps remain intact.

Often the cheapest/easiest solution is to replace the factory head iwth a quality aftermarket one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:55:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Punani:
Could the Amp fuse have blown?

yes, that is probably what happened if the speaker wire came loose and touched something else like I was saying. But if you replace the fuse without fixing the wire, it will only happen again
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:11:16 PM EDT
Well, the fuse is good, that's not the problem.
Anybody else a suggestion?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:22:31 PM EDT
Loose connection.

When an amplifier goes tits-up, it doesn't start out with crackling noises - it just suddenly stops working.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:38:04 AM EDT
OK, called the dealer, after some perusasion from my part, they came and picked the car up and had it back 3 hours later.
Appearantly, if one of the speakers in the front goes out, the system defaults the rest to low tones only. So they replaced both tweeters, and the system works again!
All that for no charge!
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:06:05 AM EDT
Don't forget to check your crossover relay if you have one.
Top Top