Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 1:44:05 PM EDT
Who is responsible for enforcing California's ban on unlicensed assault weapons? Has anyone been prosecuted for possession of unlicensed AW?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Who is responsible for enforcing California's ban on unlicensed assault weapons? Has anyone been prosecuted for possession of unlicensed AW?

CA state authorities, (CA DOJ) and YES.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me rephrase that again. Does BATF care about enforcing California's mickey house ban on assault weapons as long as its registered (out of state)? If its only local California law enforcement agencies doing the enforcing it, it would be a nightmare to determine who's legal and who's not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF only cares about Federal laws, state DOJ deals with state laws.

BUT if you were arrested for violating a state law the ATF could take a look or bring charges as well if you were later found to be violating federal law as well.

if you have an unregisted AW in kali, then take it out of state the ATF doesnt care. the state you take it too MIGHT, if they have there own AW ban. if you make it an inter-state sales tranasction then the ATF would care.

generally the federal LEOs dont care about the guppies, they want a whale. but they dont mind picking up some trout if it falls into there net, and goes with there agenda.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ATF only cares about Federal laws, state DOJ deals with state laws.

Not if you have an FFL.  One of the conditions of holding an FFL is that you will comply with all applicable state and local laws.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
that too
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CA state authorities, (CA DOJ) and YES.

Im my curiosity, would you post some cases where there were sucessful prosecution of the California Assault Weapons Ban? To date, I myself am not aware of any sucessful prosecutions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I talked to a few law enforcement friends and they consider the enforcement of this law to be a JOKE! They don't have the time nor the manpower to check every AW in California to confirm its registered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top