Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 8:28:55 PM EDT
Which states currently allow CCW by ordinary citizens?

My state, MD, does not (nor is it ever likely to) support CCW.

Was wondering since the debate about national CCW reciprocity seems to be underway.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You can have a CCW in Kalifornia if you have lots and lots of money or your a movie star. The rest of us can't.

red man
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the NRA web site, look under the NRA-ILA section for state laws.
Here is the direct link:
[url]http://www.nraila.org/research/statelaws[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By red man:
You can have a CCW in Kalifornia if you have lots and lots of money or your a movie star. The rest of us can't.

red man
View Quote

Actually CCW is very hard to get in CA but not impossible. It is not a shall issue state, so self protection is not a valid reason. However depending on the county you live in would depend on how easy your process would be. Orange County for example. The county sheriff is very pro-gun. He had increased issuance of CCW by 500+ last year and is looking to increase that even more. LA and SF counties(basically any county in NoCal), on the other hand decreased issuance. The process is very lengthy and invasive, but it is possible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, MD does have a "may issue" CCW law.  Though they should really call it a "probably won't issue in time" law.

"Excuse me Mr. Stalker, could you please sign this form stating that you are in fact stalking me, and then refrain from actually assaulting me for another 60 days or so?  Thanks so much."   [rolleyes]

Grrrr...  I gotta move soon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya Kalinfornia is not impossible to get one. I turned in my app on my 21 b-day and although it took a year(paper work mishaps) i got it, My Father and best friend got theres in 2 months here in central Cali
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked the two sites listed above. For Iowa, the NRA info is correct, the packing.org info is not. The packing.org info seems to be a collection of postings from various people. It is inconsistent and unclear, and much of it is just plain wrong. I would advise against relying on anything on that site without double checking it. Most states have their laws on the Web. Just do a search on yahoo.com or whatever for "state of ______" and follow the menu to the state codes.

Iowa is a "may-issue" state, at the option of the county sheriff. There are two classes of CCW: professional and non-professional. The professional is for those whose job requires it. In most counties, it is very difficult to get a non-professional CCW. Many require a showing of past threats or actual assault.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Virginia is Shall Issue. I got mine about 5 years ago when they first instituted it. At first you even had to go to the Police station and get fingerprinted. I felt like a criminal but I did it anyway. I think now Va. has removed the fingerprint requirement, they just make sure you have a clean record.

The only problem is I live in Northern Va. and I have to be careful because if you go into DC or Maryland its 'Houston, we have a problem'....
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
In New Hampshire, they give you a choice and put it on the license plates in case you forget.  

"Live Free or Die"

Very gun friendly up here.  Shall Issue, Class III, etc.  

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]

The "packing" web site offers some good info.

Another site is http://www.NationalCCW.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top