Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 12:18:32 PM EDT
Hey ya'll!

My hubby and I have have been mulling over opening a small side business for quite awhile now, and with a couple of things that have gone on lately (on the personal side of life) we've been thinking harder about it.

I wanted to get you ladies input on it, if I may, since it is dealing with firearms.

It goes a little something like this...

I get my FFL. (which I've been wanting to do anyways) We open a little side business. (we've even come up with a pretty neat name playing off our last name) He does general maintenance and basic repair (he is a Marine and is very good at it) and I do transfers and brokering personal collections. We do not really want to deal with stock and stuff like that, but we thought that having something like this would scratch both of our firearm itches, plus maybe make a buck or two.

Have you ever heard of anyone doing this or the like? What do you think?

I really would like you guys' advice and input. I'm an over-average business woman, but a lot of ya'll have way more experience in this kind of thing than I could ever hope to have.

Thanks ya'll...you're the best!

Shan
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Best of luck to you Shan, I have a client who started a pawn shop with his wife and they do something fairly similar although there's more to it than just guns.  They are actually doing pretty well at it and are home with their young boys the majority of the time.

Its always risky to start your own business but its very rewarding too.  I myself own and run my own business and though its not enough to support myself on - its grown to a very reputable business and works well for me with 3 high demanding children.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked in to auctioneering and estate sales?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, we've talked a little about it, and I wouldn't do the auctioneering thing, due to time constraints, but we would possibly do estate sales based on one-on-one brokering with the family involved in the estate.

I just have always loved business, and actually will finally finish my degree this coming year. I've also found that I've done pretty well helping "broker" my dad's personal collection....as far as it being my first attempt, and he seems quite happy with the results thus far.

Being a military family, though, we feel that we can't just "jump" right into it, because we both know we will have to spend money to make money. Especially, the primary part of, chunking down $200.00 for the FFL.  Plus acquiring a nice safe that will hold enough for safety and protection in the interim of transfers.

Hubby thinks it is a worthy idea to go for, but I guess I'm just a little skeptical of the market. I guess I'm also waiting for the feedback to be left by the deals I have already done through here to see what others think, to see how really viable the idea would be in a realistic standpoint of a true-to-life buyer.

At any rate, you guys' input is very valuable to me, and I appreciate it so very much!

Shan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top