Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 10:00:11 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a Laptop.
I wanna get a wireless set-up so I can get my arfcom fix from the backyard. I prefer HPcause I get ZERO financing from them.
I believe that the Dell lappy's are troublesome, but very affordable. I dont wanna spend more than $1200.00 less if possible. i dont give a hoot about software either cause I'm only using it for web surfin and watching movies at the lake  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Apple Powerbook G4.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
HP/Compaq are ok.

Most laptops come stock wtih wireless modems.

I'd suggest getting a Verizon wireless air card and, make them your ISP.

I got my air card doing hurricane relief and, I was the only one that could
get an internet connection.  It's awesome in broadband areas, too.

Don't get a Sony Vaio.  I hate mine.

Toshibas have come a long way, too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My Dell laptop has been reliable. It has ridden in a truck with me for about 200,000 miles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
The best laptops I have seen are IBM.  They are not the cheapest, but they are the best.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If all you are going to do is cruise the internet wirelessly, you don't need to spend more than $600 to $700 on a laptop.  

I have this one from Compaq (made by HP) www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=V2000Z_series&catLevel=2&category=notebooks/compaq_presario&storeName=computer_store

It works great!  Can I play Doom3 or Half-life 2 on it?  No.  That's what I got my desktop computer for.  But it can surf the web, do Microsoft Word, etc, etc with no problem.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using a Toshiba for a little over a year now and I have been very pleased with the performance and lack of problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Apple Powerbook G4.

Apple Powerbooks have the highest field failure rate in the industry. Repairing Apple laptops keeps a whole large group of employees busy at the company I work for. We have the repair contract for Apple laptops.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If all you are going to do is cruise the internet wirelessly, you don't need to spend more than $600 to $700 on a laptop.  

I have this one from Compaq (made by HP) www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=V2000Z_series&catLevel=2&category=notebooks/compaq_presario&storeName=computer_store

It works great!  Can I play Doom3 or Half-life 2 on it?  No.  That's what I got my desktop computer for.  But it can surf the web, do Microsoft Word, etc, etc with no problem.

+1

I have this laptop as well. It works well, is affordable, and is reasonably light and compact. One thing that I like about hp/compaq is that their laptops are easy to upgrade.

Whatever laptop you do get, I'd recommend that you get upgrades (memory, hd, etc) from someplace other than the manufacturer (like newegg). Its much cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an IBM Thinkpad and can't tell ya how much it goes for because it was a gift (my brother loves me) but I can say it's the best damn lil computer i've ever had. I wouldn't trade it for nothing. A little advice concerning dell since I work for a company that handles the shipping of all thier repairs....they suck....I hear more horror stories about how their equipment doesn't work right and they have to be returned multiple times usually.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have an IBM Thinkpad and can't tell ya how much it goes for because it was a gift (my brother loves me) but I can say it's the best damn lil computer i've ever had. I wouldn't trade it for nothing. A little advice concerning dell since I work for a company that handles the shipping of all thier repairs....they suck....I hear more horror stories about how their equipment doesn't work right and they have to be returned multiple times usually.

+1 On the IBM Thinkpad.
I have an older A31 and it is built like a tank.
It is one tough little laptop.
Also, no one ever got fired for going with IBM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a Toshiba Satellite 380 from Best Buy for $399. Built in wireless, 15" screen, 40gig HD, 1.6ghz celeron, dvd/cdrw. At that price, it is nearly disposable
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I run all IBM desktops, laptops and servers at my company.  I haven't had any problems with them thus far.  At my last job we ran Dell and I had 10 times the problems.  You get what you pay for!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on your budget.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a Panasonic Toughbook. Totally sweet and rock solid, however very pricey.

Otherwise, I'd go with IBM, Toshiba, HP or Dell I guess. As long as you stick to a major manufacturer and make sure you have 2-3 year warranty you should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apple Powerbook G4.

Apple Powerbooks have the highest field failure rate in the industry. Repairing Apple laptops keeps a whole large group of employees busy at the company I work for. We have the repair contract for Apple laptops.

I have had mine for over 2 years now and the thing has not even locked up on me once.
It will do anything a pc can do only faster. And I mean ANYTHING. I run Windows XP Pro in a seperate window at the same time along with OSX. I can also connect to my pc upstairs and have complete control of it through remote desktop. DO ALL THAT WITH A PC!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apple Powerbook G4.

I have had mine for over 2 years now and the thing has not even locked up on me once.
It will do anything a pc can do only faster. And I mean ANYTHING. I run Windows XP Pro in a seperate window at the same time along with OSX. I can also connect to my pc upstairs and have complete control of it through remote desktop. DO ALL THAT WITH A PC!!!!

Good for you. Apples still break at a higher rate than any other name laptop in the industry. Sorry if that simple fact disturbs you. Continue drinking the Kool-Aid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got the HP Pavillion dv8110us that is on sale at Circuit City for $999 after rebates. It has a beautiful 17" screen and has nice specs. The only thing is that it has a weak video card and you cannot play the latest games on it. But for the purposes you describe, it seems to fit the bill.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Anecdotal evidence of reliability is worthless. That said, my IBM Thinkpad R51 kicks ass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on Alienware computers and laptop, a bit pricy, but you get what you paid for.

+1 on Panasonic Toughbook, used several in a previous program at work.  The laptop was credited in saving a GI in Iraq, actually stopping a bullet.  It is still made in Japan.

I just bought my wife a Sony Viao, pretty good laptop, plus Sony now have 2 years 0% interest finance, and I am looking into getting one myself very soon.  Sony laptop is one of a few that are not made in China.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just bought a Toshiba Satellite 380 from Best Buy for $399. Built in wireless, 15" screen, 40gig HD, 1.6ghz celeron, dvd/cdrw. At that price, it is nearly disposable

just checked best buy . com

they are sold out

linky

going down the street to see if they have one there...

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out www.sagernotebook.com/index.html. Basically the same thing as the Alienware, but cheaper and without the dumb (IMHO) and more expensive cosmetics on the outside.

Oh, and iirc IBM doesn't make laptops anymore. I think they sold to Lenvo or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#24]
my HP has ran flawlessly for ~six months.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]
My new Macbook Pro 2Ghz ---it rocks!  

I have three Power Books at home and only my daughter's has had any problems, she is really rough on them.  

I have an IBM T42 Thinkpad at work and it is very good as well.. I just don't like the MS operating system problems and instability.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Best Laptop is a pansonic toughbook IMO.

As for good enough at a reasonable price, we have 3 toshibas. They work great.

The IBMs were good, but I dunno if there has been a quality dropoff since Lenovo took over. They should still be good though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Jan 2006

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123409,pg,9,00.asp

Reliability and Service: The Best Companies to Buy From

Notebook PCs: ThinkPad and PowerBook Users Most Satisfied

Laptops from Lenovo (née IBM) and Apple topped the satisfaction charts in reliability for the second year in a row. eMachines, another of last year's chart toppers, lost momentum this year, ranking at the low end of average for system reliability. Sony's products showed marked improvement from last year, when readers criticized both the company's service and the reliability of its products. As in the last survey, Compaq's ratings were among the lowest of any notebook manufacturer. Oddly, even though HP and Compaq are one company, HP-branded notebooks scored in the middle of the pack for both reliability and service, beating those with a Compaq logo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
You can get an Apple iBook G4 that kicks ass for under $1000.  Mine has been SOLID for 14 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top