Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/6/2002 5:02:08 AM EDT
Maybe one of you gearheads can answer a question for me. I just got done giving my Sonoma a cash infusion because of a clogged catalytic converter. What causes such clogging to occur in the first place? I remember back in the 70's when they first came on the scene that you weren't supposed to use leaded gasoline on a car equipped with one because it would cause clogging, but leaded gas hasn't been available in years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:08:49 AM EDT
Things like running too rich, as in a cold start. Numerous short trips, where the cat never gets fully up to operating temp and a sludge starts to form. And then a blast up the freeway to break it all loose and really tie things up. Who knows.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:27:01 AM EDT
And.....who knows what`s in the fuel you buy........don`t think there isn`t some foriegn foul substance that will disappear through the gas tanks of peoples cars????????...[devil]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:36:44 AM EDT
Golgo, there is a "life expectancy" for catalytic converters...how many miles are on your vehicle?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:40:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:53:42 AM EDT
It can be related to many of the different things people have already said. Other emissions components like O2 sensors can cause it to die faster if not giving correct readings. I think the type of fuel you use has a lot to do with it. I try to frequent gas stations that don't use additives. The Meijer store chains have gas stations in this area and they state 100% gasoline on the pumps. That is about the only place I get gas now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:05:59 AM EDT
Well I think I sent you a private message about this. Anyway have your O2 sensors checked if you haven't allready, and the cat-con may be under warrenty depending on the milage of the truck. (Fed law on this) Emissions gear has to last at least xxx number of miles. (Of course if you are like me and your low milage car has 135,000 miles then nevermind about the warrenty!)
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:31:51 AM EDT
The truck just turned over to 100k last week. Not that it makes much difference, but most of that is highway driving. The culprit was, based on what you all have said, most likely the oxygen sensor. That had to be replaced. I also had to replace the egr valve, it was badly fouled. While I was at it, I had a complete tune up done. Since I knew it would need one to pass inspection, I also had the muffler and tailpipe replaced. I religiously follow the preventative maintenance procedures in the owner's manual, but vehicles psychically know when youu have filed for an income tax refund and they want their share.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2002 7:01:32 AM EDT by SBR7_11]
Run rich------ Engine temp low--thermostat not hold water to normal operating temp Engine temp too low input to ECU--water temp sensor faulty Miss-fire--O2 sensor see's raw fuel, tells ECU "we are lean", give us more fuel Lazy O2 sensor If MAP sensor equipped, faulty VACUUM level input to ECU or broken/cracked line to sensor Throttle position sensor may figure into the game also, but auto shift problems may show if A/T is electric shifted. Need to veiw the data stream to see all inputs/outputs to verify all with-in proper parameters.
Top Top