Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:48:45 AM EDT
Metro Atlanta has had a rash of violence including a local bartender that was shot and killed during a robbery recently.
It's nice to see people fighting back...
*article begins here*

Robbery suspect shot, killed in East Atlanta
Potential victim ‘got the jump on him,’ fires 5 or 6 times

By MIKE MORRIS, TIM EBERLY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.

Police do not believe the shooting has any connection to the recent high-profile killing at a Grant Park bar.
Did the intended victim make the right call?
Always, you have to defend yourself 88.67% 6458
Never, other people could have been hurt 0.78% 57
I don't know. Depends on the circumstances 10.55% 768

The suspected robber, a 29-year-old man from the Decatur area, carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun, while the gun that killed bar worker John Henderson was a 9mm, Atlanta police Detective Michael Willis said.

The killing Wednesday comes a week after Henderson’s killing in another popular hangout about two miles away, Standard Food & Spirits, sparked an outpouring of community support and galvanized grassroots efforts to improve public safety by some who say the city is becoming more dangerous.

Willis said he could not release the identity of the dead man Thursday morning because he had not yet notified relatives of his death.

The detective also declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.

The woman he was with — they have been dating for a couple of months — is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.

Wednesday night, the couple made their way to the popular East Atlanta Village, known for its trendy bars and eateries, because they have been taking swing-dancing lessons, Willis said.

Their dancing instructor told them that one of the East Atlanta bars, Graveyard Tavern, had “big band nights,” Willis said.

“So they came down here to dance,” Willis said.

When they left the bar around 11:15 p.m., the man gave his date the keys to his Ford Ranger pickup truck so she could drive. They walked to the truck, parked in an Ace Hardware lot across a side street on the same side of Glenwood Avenue.

Inside the vehicle, the woman was adjusting the driver’s seat and mirrors when the man looked over his shoulder and saw a man standing at his passenger window, Willis said.

Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.

He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet, Willis said. The woman started screaming.

The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. “When he saw that, he just started shooting,” the detective said.

The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.

“He just got the jump on him,” Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.

As one could expect, the shooting left the man and his companion visibly shaken.

“He actually said, ‘I’m surprised I haven’t thrown up yet,’ ” Willis said. “He was that upset.”

Willis said he did not know much about the suspected robber. A criminal background check did not reveal any recent arrests by Atlanta police, but he might have a criminal history in DeKalb County.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. “When he saw that, he just started shooting,” the detective said.

The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.

“He just got the jump on him,” Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.

Wow, nice job there. Sounds like the guy did everything right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Just the way it should be.  It almost sounds like the civilian was drinking and the LE gave him a pass.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it's time to get something to carry if you don't have it already. Especially in places like here in Atlanta. I have a new Walther PPS on order myself.

He's lucky he was able to knock him back with the door and get his shots off so efficiently. The bartender would likely not have been shot had he had protection on him because it took those guys a while to bash their way in. What a shame. Glad this one turned out different. Good shoot!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Colt .40?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colt .40?

He may not have been profeshunal enuf fo da glock fotay
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Good shoot now i will be in a good mood all day. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Colt .45?

Perhaps that's what the suspected robber had been drinking
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, it's time to get something to carry if you don't have it already. Especially in places like here in Atlanta. I have a new Walther PPS on order myself.

He's lucky he was able to knock him back with the door and get his shots off so efficiently. The bartender would likely not have been shot had he had protection on him because it took those guys a while to bash their way in. What a shame. Glad this one turned out different. Good shoot!

I've been waiting on my new ccw permit since AUGUST!  I called the GBI on Monday.  They completed my background check and sent it back Dec 14th.  So in THEORY I should finally be getting it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Huh? What?   But..but....   Ray Lewis wasn't even In Atlanta!  How could there be a murder?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]
POINT 1:  Good Shoot

POINT 2:  Atlanta is dangerous

POINT 3:  Don't let your guard down.

POINT 4:  He is 28 she is 40 .........SWEET!  Getting the cougar by being a tiger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been waiting on my new ccw permit since AUGUST!  I called the GBI on Monday.  They completed my background check and sent it back Dec 14th.  So in THEORY I should finally be getting it.

I got mine in SIX days.  Went on Dec 11 and it was issued Dec 17th.  Cherokee

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Fulton county sucks nuts......
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
POINT 1:  Good Shoot

POINT 2:  Atlanta is dangerous

POINT 3:  Don't let your guard down.

POINT 4:  He is 28 she is 40 .........SWEET!  Getting the cougar by being a tiger.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Shoot until the threat is no longer a threat!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just the way it should be.  It almost sounds like the civilian was drinking and the LE gave him a pass.

In GA, you can not carry, even w/ a permit into a bar (50% income rule).
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The “bar” in question is a restaurant.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got it out of his glove box.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The detective also declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.

The woman he was with — they have been dating for a couple of months — is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.

Uh-oh. The perp may have just been on a cougar hunt!

rats- crash beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The “bar” in question is a restaurant.

Yes and rather close to my house, although I prefer to go to Manuel's Tavern, but that's another topic...

As NoMo pointed out he got it out of his glove box.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Good shoot.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, nice job there. Sounds like the guy did everything right.

If this had happened in NYC?

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
crash2876....Are you in the Village?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Colt .40?

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a solid piece of work.  Plus he is working the COUGAR pie!  WIN ALL AROUND!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
crash2876....Are you in the Village?

The other side of Moreland Ave. actually but still real close.
However I do print the t-shirts for the Ace Village Hardware.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I would rather live in Baghdad than Atlanta.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#27]
"East Atlanta Village" is one of those "community reclamation projects" where they take a run down shit hole of a neighborhood (like most of Metro ATL) and try and remodel it and run the junkies off so the yuppies will start coming back.

It's just out of the infamous "Zone 3" which is where all the gangsta rappas in ATL claim to be from, it's a really shitty part of town but they *are* trying to clean it up.

That being said, lets take a look at some crime stats for this area, from the ATL PD Crime Plotter, for the last two weeks.

There are some good projects going downtown but Metro ATL is still a dump, they are just pushing the junkies, whores and gangsta's out of these isolated reclamation pockets and into the surrounding neighborhoods.

Screwing around in the ATL after dark will get a cracker killed.

I took this screen shot about ten minutes ago (Metro ATL is under all the dots, I-285 is the perimeter bypass highway that's 60 miles in circumference and circles the city).

ETA: LULZ

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would rather live in Baghdad than Atlanta.

Yeah, at least the violence is subsiding there.

However, living in Atlanta I don't have to worry about IEDs, just crackheads, and thugs with gunzzzz.
And my ass doesn't get woken up every morning with the call to prayer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"East Atlanta Village" is one of those "community reclamation projects" where they take a run down shit hole of a neighborhood (like most of Metro ATL) and try and remodel it and run the junkies off so the yuppies will start coming back.

It's just out of the infamous "Zone 3" which is where all the gangsta rappas in ATL claim to be from, it's a really shitty part of town but they *are* trying to clean it up.

That being said, lets take a look at some crime stats for this area, from the ATL PD Crime Plotter, for the last two weeks.

There are some good projects going downtown but Metro ATL is still a dump, they are just pushing the junkies, whores and gangsta's out of these isolated reclamation pockets and into the surrounding neighborhoods.

I took this screen shot about ten minutes ago (Metro ATL is under all the dots, I-285 is the perimeter bypass highway that's 60 miles in circumference and circles the city).

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/navvet89/atl-pd-crime2.jpg

I work deep in the heart of Zone 3.  That's why I gots guns, dogs, razorwire, chainlink, no windows, cameras, mo guns, and lots o locks....

The Village is Zone 6 I believe, actually that could very well be DeKalb County on that side....

Zone 6 covers Eastern Atlanta. [1] This includes East Atlanta. Ten percent of Atlanta's area which was part of the 1909 annexation into a neighboring county, putting it into DeKalb while the remainder is in Fulton. It is known as the Eastside of Atlanta. Known from is high number in armed robberies and the drug trafficking. The nearby city of Decatur are closely knitted to Eastern Atlanta. Edgewood, Kirkwood, Glenwood, Gresham, Bouldercrest, Candler Rd, and Flat Sholes Moreland. Rappers Young Capone,Duke from Boyz from Da Hood, Dolla, Big Block, Youngbloodz, Baby D Gucci Mane and O.J. Da Juiceman, Montana Da Mac, Maceo, Lil Scrappy, Crime Mob all hail from this zone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Good.  One less idiot in down town Atlanta...
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work deep in the heart of Zone 3.  That's why I gots guns, dogs, razorwire, chainlink, no windows, cameras, mo guns, and lots o locks....

The Village is Zone 6 I believe, actually that could very well be DeKalb County on that side....

Zone 6 covers Eastern Atlanta. [1] This includes East Atlanta. Ten percent of Atlanta's area which was part of the 1909 annexation into a neighboring county, putting it into DeKalb while the remainder is in Fulton. It is known as the Eastside of Atlanta. Known from is high number in armed robberies and the drug trafficking. The nearby city of Decatur are closely knitted to Eastern Atlanta. Edgewood, Kirkwood, Glenwood, Gresham, Bouldercrest, Candler Rd, and Flat Sholes Moreland. Rappers Young Capone,Duke from Boyz from Da Hood, Dolla, Big Block, Youngbloodz, Baby D Gucci Mane and O.J. Da Juiceman, Montana Da Mac, Maceo, Lil Scrappy, Crime Mob all hail from this zone.

correct, it "looks" close on the map but I didn't plot the zones either :)

better you than me, stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong answer.  That law changed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct, it "looks" close on the map but I didn't plot the zones either :)

better you than me, stay safe.

Thanks bud.  I do my best.

We bought our house in zone 4 (near Grant Park) about 14 years ago for a very reasonable price.  We were the "young pioneers", now I'm the scary guy with all the tattoos, dogs, and perimeter fence, so our house is the last one on the block to get messed with.
Also, our yard was one of the few in MetroAtlanta w/o a Obama sign.  My neighbor across the street stopped talking to me after I put a McCain sign up. Best $8 I ever spent!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wow.  Looking at those pictures it sure makes me glad that we made prostitution illegal in Alabama.

Dang.  I tried to get a year view of the Atlanta crime and it will only do 2 weeks at a time.  Ouch!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong answer.  That law changed.

I don't know if the tavern is bar or restaurant but it does matter in GA
If 50% or more of the sales are food and beverage, it is a restaurant  and that means you carry but NOT drink.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings; affirmative defenses

(a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense.

(b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises and which derive less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the sale of prepared meals or food. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.

Basically bars are a no go but not restaurants with bars in them are OK. Best advice is to check their business license. The state license lists what is a restaurant that servers alcohol and what is a bar.  This does not apply to stores that sell alcohol for consumption somewhere else, like liquor stores, gas stations, etc.

Not an issue for this guy because he had the weapon in the glove box.
If y'all live in GA, I encourage you to join Georgia Carry.Org (GCO.ORG)
GCO.org is fighting hard to overturn the B.S. public gathering restriction

http://georgiacarry.org/

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  Looking at those pictures it sure makes me glad that we made prostitution illegal in Alabama.

Dang.  I tried to get a year view of the Atlanta crime and it will only do 2 weeks at a time.  Ouch!

And yet, Chicago with their handgun ban is still the murder capital....
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#37]
An for North Metro Atlanta––-
BoyJuvenile Criminal killed as suspects flee Alpharetta police

By MIKE MORRIS

A juvenile passenger was killed Wednesday night when a carload of robbery suspects being chased by police overturned on an Alpharetta road.

Alpharetta police spokesman George Gordon said three suspects in a dark-colored Toyota had “just committed two robbery and aggravated assault incidents in Roswell.”

The driver of a Toyota fleeing police on North Point Parkway crashed and overturned Wednesday night, killing a boy in the backseat.

At least one victim was pistol-whipped by the suspects, Gordon said, though he did not have any other details.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m., an undercover Roswell detective spotted the suspect vehicle and began following the car while radioing for assistance.

“While driving on North Point Parkway, the suspects observed the trailing detective and began to drive erratically and flee at a high rate of speed,” Gordon said. “Alpharetta police units intercepted the suspect’s vehicle and continued the pursuit with marked police units.”

Gordon said the driver lost control of the Toyota on North Point Parkway and overturned. A boy in the back seat, believed to be about 12 to 15 years old, was killed in the crash, he said.

The driver and a second passenger were injured. They were taken into custody and transported to North Fulton Medical Center for treatment.

The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office had not identified the dead youth early Thursday.

— Doug Nurse contributed to this article.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fulton County is screwing you.
At the 60 day mark they should have issued you temporary permit
Here is some good info for you
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/trust-but-verify/
I highly recommend you join GCO.
They can help you out.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fulton County is screwing you.
At the 60 day mark they should have issued you temporary permit
Here is some good info for you
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/trust-but-verify/
I highly recommend you join GCO.
They can help you out.

The Bald Monk

Yeah I know they've been screwing me without the courtesy of a reach around.
I've been meaning to join GCO.  I'll see if I can't take care of that this week.
I actually got the # for the GBI from the GCO website.  Good stuff!
Oh, I called APD and they refused to give out the ORG # or whatever you're supposed to ask for.
The GBI still looked it up just with my name, and they were actually surprisingly pleasant to deal with.
Of course everyone at the Probate Court is just sooooo helpful and full of useful information!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah I know they've been screwing me without the courtesy of a reach around.
I've been meaning to join GCO.  I'll see if I can't take care of that this week.
I actually got the # for the GBI from the GCO website.  Good stuff!
Oh, I called APD and they refused to give out the ORG # or whatever you're supposed to ask for.
The GBI still looked it up just with my name, and they were actually surprisingly pleasant to deal with.
Of course everyone at the Probate Court is just sooooo helpful and full of useful information!

Sorry to hear about your troubles
I am member of GCO, feel free to IM, if you have any questions
GCO has had good luck at getting counties to play by the rules and issue the temporary permits.
Fulton County has record of providing crappy service.
No one is sure if it is anti gun or stupidity.
The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Outcome is good - one less criminal on the street.  However, the shot could have probably been avoided with just a little situational awareness from the driver (however the outcome would have been less beneficial to the public).

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An for North Metro Atlanta––-
BoyJuvenile Criminal killed as suspects flee Alpharetta police

By MIKE MORRIS

A juvenile passenger was killed Wednesday night when a carload of robbery suspects being chased by police overturned on an Alpharetta road.

Alpharetta police spokesman George Gordon said three suspects in a dark-colored Toyota had “just committed two robbery and aggravated assault incidents in Roswell.”

The driver of a Toyota fleeing police on North Point Parkway crashed and overturned Wednesday night, killing a boy in the backseat.

At least one victim was pistol-whipped by the suspects, Gordon said, though he did not have any other details.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m., an undercover Roswell detective spotted the suspect vehicle and began following the car while radioing for assistance.

“While driving on North Point Parkway, the suspects observed the trailing detective and began to drive erratically and flee at a high rate of speed,” Gordon said. “Alpharetta police units intercepted the suspect’s vehicle and continued the pursuit with marked police units.”

Gordon said the driver lost control of the Toyota on North Point Parkway and overturned. A boy in the back seat, believed to be about 12 to 15 years old, was killed in the crash, he said.

The driver and a second passenger were injured. They were taken into custody and transported to North Fulton Medical Center for treatment.

The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office had not identified the dead youth early Thursday.

— Doug Nurse contributed to this article.

Still Fulton County
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha one of the prositutes is named Mona Creamer
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I love it

Screw the double tap method- just dump until they drop out of your sight picture then follow them down to make sure.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love it

Screw the double tap method- just dump until they drop out of your sight picture then follow them down to make sure.

Then drop your mag, reload and empty that one for good measure....
(if they're on drugs, then drop that mag, load third and empty that one, and then you have to cut the head off, drive a stake through their heart, and burn the body)
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said in another thread, I grew up in East Lake, and my mother still lives there, by herself. On Nov. 15, 2008, there was an attempted carjacking in front of her next door neighbor's house, complete with gunfire. She hit the floor and broke her hip. There are still bullet holes in several houses and cars. I took her home on Jan. 1. She will not leave. It is improving in many ways, but is still a very dangerous shit hole, just across Memorial Drive from the old Projects on the back course of East Lake Country Club.
I still think the supposed "Carjacking" was a drug deal gone bad. A very bad place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHAHA, i got mine in 18 minutes!  i love PA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#48]
My Glock 30 SF goes into the heart of Atlanta with me if I have to go down there...........otherwise I stay out all together
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#49]
bump for da night crew
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt .40?

He may not have been profeshunal enuf fo da glock fotay

Sigma.  Believe it or not the pawn shops around here move quite a few of them, you will never guess the profile of the typical buyer.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top