Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
In about 2 years or so, I am planning on joining the army reserves.  Is there any MOS that is a helicopter or plane pilot?  If so, should I have any previous experience when I sign up?  Also, what is the difference between your status with a high school graduation and after college graduation?  
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need college to achieve Officer or Warrant Officer, which is required.  

Not sure what other hoops are involved for flight school but, I imagine that you may find the only way to get into it is to go active first unless you are already a pilot.  Again, not sure just a semi-educated guess.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I appreciate it
A semi-educated guess is more than I have without going to see a recruiter.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, this should give you some info:

[url]http://www.goarmy.com/job/warrant/[/url]

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
STEP 2:  Determine the Warrant Officer (WO) Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) for which you might be qualified. The only WO MOS that a soldier can apply for regardless of rank and MOS is 153A (Aviator). This WO MOS requires no prior skills or training - you will be trained to be an Aviator. For this MOS you must be less than 29 years of age by the convene date of the board (or request a waiver) and have 20/50 distant visual acuity, correctable with spectacles to 20/20, also note there is an aeromedical refractive error exception to policy (LASIK/PRK information). All other WO MOSs (Technicians) require you to be at least a SGT or higher with 4-6 years experience in a feeder MOS. Feeder MOSs are listed in the Prerequisites and Duty Descriptions part of this web site.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I found it!  Here's the skinny:

153A. Rotary Wing Aviator
Duties: Accession MOS used to feed into an armed reconnaissance, attack, utility, or cargo helicopter MOS. Operates and commands aircraft under tactical and non-tactical conditions. Operates aircraft during all types of meteorological conditions during the day, night, and under night vision systems. Performs all military aircraft operations (e.g., reconnaissance, security, gunnery, rescue, air assault, mine/flare delivery, internal/external load, and paradrop/rappelling operations). Performs aerial route, zone, and/or area reconnaissance in support of combat manuever operations. Routinely participates in real time and training operations that include combat, combat support, or combat service support operations. Additionally, performs administrative or liaison missions to transport passengers, mail or cargo for military purposes. Maintains aviator flight requirements in accordance with appropriate aircraft Aircrew Training Manual.

Minimum prerequisites:

Any MOS may apply
Be at least 18, but not have reached their 29th birthday at the convening of the selection board
Not have exceeded the age of 30 upon beginning of flight training
Score 90 or higher on the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST)
Successfully pass a Class 1A Flying Duty Medical Examination (FDME) IAW AR 40-501 that has been approved by the Commander, U.S. Army Aeromedical Center
Interviewed by an Army Aviator in the rank of CW3-5 or Major and above. If the unit commander or above is a field grade aviator, the aviator interview may be part of the commander's endorsement. In this case, the commander's endorsement must contain the same statement required for the aviator interview. Use a memorandum format and start with the statement I have interviewed (your name) and find (he/she) has the needed personal characteristics, motivation, physical stamina, and qualifications to be appointed a U.S. Army Reserve warrant officer and appears acceptable for selection into the WOFT program as a warrant officer candidate. Applicants from other military services may be interviewed by a field grade aviator from their branch of service if an Army aviator is not readily available. Army aviators will conduct the interviews whenever possible.

Preferred qualifications (Minimum plus):

Two years of college credit at an accredited institution
Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) Private Pilots certificate or higher
View Quote

[url]http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, thats absolutely everything I needed to know.
Thank you very much!

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a question too. Does the rules on fraternization still apply in the reserves?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a question too. Does the rules on fraternization still apply in the reserves?
View Quote

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

It's got to be used for SOMETHING, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top