Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 11:56:19 PM EDT
I was prescribed the following today.

QVAR 80 (beclomethasone dipropionate HFA)
ALBUTEROL AER 90
Prednisone
OTC: Loratadine

I understand why, and the reasoning behind the prescriptions, but what are the real side effects?

Specifically the Prednisone.  I've heard its going to make me PMS times 10!

I only have to take it for 7 days, but should I sit in a dark locked room?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Short term effects of prednisone SHOULD be minimal if any.

Prednisone is a very powerful steroid that in LONG term use has some really bad side effects.

Not a doc. Paramedic.

I'm sure some doc is gonna' rip me a new one now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was prescribed the following today.

QVAR 80 (beclomethasone dipropionate HFA)
ALBUTEROL AER 90
Prednisone
OTC: Loratadine

I understand why, and the reasoning behind the prescriptions, but what are the real side effects?

Specifically the Prednisone.  I've heard its going to make me PMS times 10!

I only have to take it for 7 days, but should I sit in a dark locked room?

My wife has taken Prednisone for migraines. At the time she was having hormone problems and wasn't having PMS (no period, no PMS).

Actually, it was like she was PMSing all the time, but that wasn't the Prednisones fault.

With all of the problems she was having, we never noticed any side effects.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Short term effects of prednisone SHOULD be minimal if any.

Prednisone is a very powerful steroid that in LONG term use has some really bad side effects.

Not a doc. Paramedic.

I'm sure some doc is gonna' rip me a new one now.

7 days would be considered "short term," right?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Actually, it was like she was PMSing all the time, but that wasn't the Prednisones fault.

So you say! I'm kind of scared.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
as long as the rest of the family stays outta the kitchen they won't notice if you PMS...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
as long as the rest of the family stays outta the kitchen they won't notice if you PMS...

[pms talking] I'm SO going to kick your ass ninja! [/pms talking]

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I just had to put my 6 year old son back on prednisone for an on going kidney problem.  

For him he had increased appetite, high weight gain (usually 30 lbs or so over 4-6 week period) and increased aggression ( if allowed, he will beat the shit out of his older brother constantly).  

The problem for him isn't the time he takes it to get his kidneys working, it is the ween off of the drug, that takes almost 2 1/2 months.  For him ( I don't know about other people) while on the prednisone, this body stops making a chemical (I can't remember which one) but if we just stop giving it to him his body goes into shock and lands him in the hospital for 4-5 days.

as far as how it effects women, I don't know.  Just letting you know my experiences with it.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't get the increased appetite, but I  get the put all your emotions in a blender and then wait until you see which one pops up. Not fun. My tolerance is much less for idiots then.
The albuterol for asthma and loratadine for allergies.
The albuterol in an inhaler sometimes the propellant makes me worse when using that. If I use the albuterol updraft, works better, but gives me the jitters. Kind of a trade off.
Good luck and hope you feel better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL! yeah, seven days is short term.

Long term effects are pretty bad. Things like a moon face, brittle bones, fragile skin and others that I can't remember off the top of my pointy little head. And remember, not everyone has all or any of the side effects, so don't panic. Just something to be aware of. It is a very powerful drug and works wonders. But if you are going to be on it long term, you should ask about alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Day two.

This stuff is making me feel all funky.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
it makes you bloat or retain fluids also, also makes you bones weak
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The stuff makes me high.

I'm talking non-functional, walking on the moon high.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been taking about 20mg of Prednisone for about 5? months now.
Doctor wants to gradually take me off it now BTW.

The side effects that I have noticed is an increase of appetite and weight (about 20%), slightly puffed up face, large increase of growth in most body hair, increase in dandruff.

No attitude changes that I have noticed or have been told about.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've been taking about 20mg of Prednisone for about 5? months now.
Doctor wants to gradually take me off it now BTW.

The side effects that I have noticed is an increase of appetite and weight (about 20%), slightly puffed up face, large increase of growth in most body hair, increase in dandruff.

No attitude changes that I have noticed or have been told about.

I'm on 60mg for 7 days.

And i don't feel like me right now.

I'm only on day 2, but I don't notice the appetite thing, though I am kind of moody.

I hate pills.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had my 14 year old Lab on it for almost 2 years now.  It is for his acute arthritis.  It works, without it he can't even walk.  If I give him too much, he runs around like a puppy and pays for it for several days of suffering.

I had a long conversation about it with my Vet, the young Vets in his office would not perscribe it, "too many side effects".  The alternative was to put him down.  Right now he has a very good quality of life, not going to change a thing.

What does a dog have to do with a person?  One of my many jobs in college was in a drug research lab.  "People" drugs were long term tested on.........Dogs!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm on 60mg for 7 days.

And i don't feel like me right now.

I'm only on day 2, but I don't notice the appetite thing, though I am kind of moody.

I hate pills.

Other posters have pretty well much covered it:  insomnia (which is why it is usually taken first thing in the morning), increased appetite, mood swings, water retention, etc.  I usually prescribe a taper if I give it for more than a few days.  7 days seems a bit long without giving a taper, but I've seen a lot of other docs do it that way.  The only concern is suppression of the adrenal glands which produce the bodies own natural corticosteroids.  Fortunately the side effects will go away within a couple of days of stopping it.  Good luck with a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The eldest gets pred when his breathing gets crappy: he has allergy and cold induced asthma. At least twice a year, he gets put on a weekly regimen of pred. Makes him hyper, more aggressive (Yay!) and generally a huge pain in the ass.

It'll clear up those lungs and within 2 days of the regimen's completion, you will be your normal sweet self, hun.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I was on a pretty good dose for 2 courses, 7 and then 10 days. It made me hungrier, and I did gain some weight (I knew to really try to avoid eating more, but it was hard to not eat) but the worst side effect was sleeplessness. I definitely advise taking it as early in the AM as you can, and to avoid ALL stimulants.

Even then, I was frequently not getting to sleep til 1-2am. Kinda rough when you have to be at work at 6am, up at 4:45.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Thinking about how "funky" you are will only serve to make you more "funky".  It's kind of like a placebo effect - you expect a change, and look for every possible sign of that change, and then oh my god, I was right.  And it's just a feedback loop really.

Focus on short term goals.  Time to go here, time to do this.  Even if you don't feel like it, go through your day and force yourself to act like yourself as much as possible.  I know it's not a terribly sympathetic solution but going through the motions of being "normal" may help you feel more normal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I take low dosage Prednisone for when I get Poison Ivy.

I dont recall it ever making me have any side effects besides wanting to rip my tongue out when it touches my mouth when I take it.  *shudders*  The fuckin bitterness of it is almost enough to make me never get PI again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#21]
It saved my life undoubtably; but the side effects nearly runined my life. I was taking 120 mg a day and tapering down from there several times for a few years. I will do nearly anything to not use prednisone again.
YMMV
M
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Other posters have pretty well much covered it:  insomnia (which is why it is usually taken first thing in the morning), increased appetite, mood swings, water retention, etc.  I usually prescribe a taper if I give it for more than a few days. 7 days seems a bit long without giving a taper, but I've seen a lot of other docs do it that way.  The only concern is suppression of the adrenal glands which produce the bodies own natural corticosteroids.  Fortunately the side effects will go away within a couple of days of stopping it.  Good luck with a speedy recovery.

Define taper?

Should I step it down the last day ot two?

I'm supposed to take 3, 20mg pills a day. Would it be a good idea to spread the last few, over a few days?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#23]
The drugs you have mentioned are all respiratory type drugs.  Not to pry but do you have asthma bronchitis or just plain allergies to the environment?  Seems like your are having a problem with breathing to me.  Albuterol dialates the air ways allowing easier breathing.  The pred is a potent systemic anti inflammatory agent.  Used in asthmatics along with other conditions.  I have read some literature where they hit you with a large dose and do not taper the steroids.  I have also hear the other way with tapering them.  Beclomethasone is a steroid too in an inhaler form.  Did they mention to rinse your mouth out after use to avoid thrush?  Short term usage of steroids should not be a problem.  You may get a metallic taste in your mouth from use.   Let me know if this helps.

DAROGUE1  Senior staff respiratory therapist   former EMT
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
You did take lots of "before" pictures of yourself, right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The drugs you have mentioned are all respiratory type drugs.  Not to pry but do you have asthma bronchitis or just plain allergies to the environment?  Seems like your are having a problem with breathing to me.  Albuterol dialates the air ways allowing easier breathing.  The pred is a potent systemic anti inflammatory agent.  Used in asthmatics along with other conditions.  I have read some literature where they hit you with a large dose and do not taper the steroids.  I have also hear the other way with tapering them.  Beclomethasone is a steroid too in an inhaler form.  Did they mention to rinse your mouth out after use to avoid thrush?  Short term usage of steroids should not be a problem.  You may get a metallic taste in your mouth from use.   Let me know if this helps.

DAROGUE1  Senior staff respiratory therapist   former EMT

Thanks for your reply.

I've never had asthma, but I had a rattle in my airway last Wed. Then was referred to a pulminary doctor on Thurs. who wanted to treat that issue, right away. She said we would go back in, and figure out the root problem at a later date, but wanted to get my lungs clear in 4 weeks.

She said that it might be some sort of asthma, or more likely allergies, or even possibly just a minor cold.  She is treating it on all fronts, just to get the lungs clear in the short term.

Yes, the rinse your mouth out thing, was gone over thoroughly by the pharmicist. I didn't ever hear the word thrush... I was thinking it was a teeth issue. I'll rinse MUCH more thoroughly now!

Thanks so much!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yeah.

I have pics.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The eldest gets pred when his breathing gets crappy: he has allergy and cold induced asthma. At least twice a year, he gets put on a weekly regimen of pred. Makes him hyper, more aggressive (Yay!) and generally a huge pain in the ass.

It'll clear up those lungs and within 2 days of the regimen's completion, you will be your normal sweet self, hun.

But, I like having an excuse for random crankiness.

for you PM.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad to help! Somehow I see a pulmonary function test in your future.  Lots of allergy stuff going around right now, seeing alot at the hospita.l  Since it is easter the CHF cases will show up in the next few days.  I love watching the season change.  Spring=asthma  Summer=trauma  Fall= allegies Winter=pneumonia  CHF all year long.  Respiratory is a great field of medicine!  Had a guy put a forty S&W in his mouth about 4 wks ago.  That was a interesting sight let me tell ya!
If you need more info let me know.

DAROOGUE1
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Please take all of your meds as prescribed.
And please do not discontinue or taper off without consulting your physician.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ok.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Two words:  Buffalo Hump.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Good thing my sister isn't on here; she'd tell you all about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass (it's my nature, LOL) but I see a LOT of self diagnosis/prescription changes and it usually results in worsening the problem. If you are having difficulties or concerns with your meds or reactions to them it is in your best interests to consult your physician. That is what they are there for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass (it's my nature, LOL) but I see a LOT of self diagnosis/prescription changes and it usually results in worsening the problem. If you are having difficulties or concerns with your meds or reactions to them it is in your best interests to consult your physician. That is what they are there for.

You didn't sound like an ass at all.

Thanks for the info, but I WOULD have taken the question to my doctor, before I actually changed course.

I'm able to hear things here, that I never thought to ask the doctor in the first place.

I appreciate the information I'm able to get here.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatsa Matter, hun?
Feeling  underappreciated??? I'm sure he's LOVE to see the "before" Pics of you too!!!
<watches ElCamino scamper off to find REALLY funny photochops to post>

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Two words:  Buffalo Hump.

I've stared at this all day, trying to decide whether or not to ask about it...

WTF does that mean??

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#38]
He's referring to Cushings Syndrome. The hump is a build up of fat on the upper back. It can be caused by extensive use of prednisone. Google Cushings Syndrome. Don't worry about it. Seven days is not long term.

Like I said before, prednisone is a wonder drug but the potential side effects are sometimes a bit much. I know I would at least look for an alternative if on it long term.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
He's referring to Cushings Syndrome. The hump is a build up of fat on the upper back. It can be caused by extensive use of prednisone. Google Cushings Syndrome. Don't worry about it. Seven days is not long term.

Like I said before, prednisone is a wonder drug but the potential side effects are sometimes a bit much. I know I would at least look for an alternative if on it long term.

OMG!

I don't have back fat, I don't DO back fat!

(Running off to the mirror to stare at my back...)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

How long is long term?
After reading this thread, I'm starting to get worried
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#41]
WHEW!!

No back fat.

Think I'll survive the next 3 days?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Not trying to scare anyone. Prednisone like all very powerful drugs has side effects. But if your doctor has put you on prednisone or any other steroid it is for a very good reason. Probably because the risk of side effects are better than the alternative. I really don't know what is officially defined as long term. And keep in mind that not everyone has side effects. I've taken prednisone for a few weeks at a time for severe poison oak and I'm perfectly normal. perfectly normal. pppppperfectly normal
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#43]
My mother took it long term (lo-o-ong term, more than a year I believe, but at infrequent intervals, maybe weekly) for rheumatism.

It made her a cranky bitch who drank even more, got even fatter, and even started to get what could have been the beginnings of a beard or moustache.

Fortunately she stopped taking it, on doctor's cancellation of the prescription.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Well...

For me, I think its part of a whole take every pill/drug available to clear the lungs quick. I was rejected for a little surgery this week, at the last minute, becuase my lungs weren't "clear." It has been rescheduled for 4 weeks from now.

My chest x-rays came back fine, so they are hitting me with drugs just in case its asthma...though I've never had that...or allergies, or even a cold.

So...I get to day two of all these pills and shit, and it hits me....

WTF am I doing this for, when I smoke? Seems silly to me to have to huff on two inhalers, take a bunch of pills that leave a miserable, bitter taste in my mouth, then go out for a smoke?!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I've taken it twice. Both times for EIA.   No difference that I could tell, the inhalers (Albuterol and two others) had worse effects.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not trying to scare anyone. Prednisone like all very powerful drugs has side effects. But if your doctor has put you on prednisone or any other steroid it is for a very good reason. Probably because the risk of side effects are better than the alternative. I really don't know what is officially defined as long term. And keep in mind that not everyone has side effects. I've taken prednisone for a few weeks at a time for severe poison oak and I'm perfectly normal. perfectly normal. pppppperfectly normal

Well, it has certainly done wonders for my illness.

But I have been taking between 40 to 20mgs over a span of 5?6? months.
No serious side effects that I have noticed.
Just that my hair, eyebrows and beard would have joined together and made one mass, if I didn't shave every day

I'll express my concerns to my doctor next time I go anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
WTF am I doing this for, when I smoke? Seems silly to me to have to huff on two inhalers, take a bunch of pills that leave a miserable, bitter taste in my mouth, then go out for a smoke?!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#48]
A week is considered a short term burst.  Definitely do NOT TAPER without direction from your physician.
My wife has severe asthma and takes it daily.  She has been on it for over 18 months straight.   She took many short term bursts over the years when it was more controlable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top