Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 3:32:02 PM EDT
I'm going to have pc SAS (www.sas.com/ ) installed on my PC at work next week.  

Any good books to pick up?

I haven't tried programming in SAS yet, but have done C++, java.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent a few years programming SAS in the mid-90s.  It is an extremely powerful database tool, but very different than anything else - i.e. very quirky.

If you are new to relational databases, I'd get a good book on databases in general first (C.J. Date's is the classic, but may not be the best choice for a beginner).  

The best docs on SAS used to come from SAS.  

HTH
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What I've been using is oracle to query data, and access and excel to do shit with it.

We hired this guy to run an "advanced analytics" department and he's a big SAS evangelist.

So now they're all keen on all of us learning to use SAS.

We'll see ... the presentation he gave on it sure made it look powerful.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What I've been using is oracle to query data, and access and excel to do shit with it.

We hired this guy to run an "advanced analytics" department and he's a big SAS evangelist.

So now they're all keen on all of us learning to use SAS.

We'll see ... the presentation he gave on it sure made it look powerful.

Good luck. I install it for PHD's to use for statistical analysis and the like. It is the most cantankerous piece of software on the planet, and I loathe its very existence. I have NO IDEA how to make it do anything but launch...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been using it for close to 20 years.  Great software.   I am not sure what books to recommend though, apart from the SAS manuals.  It's more like old-fashioned BASIC or FORTRAN than C.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top